Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2016, 07:38 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
That's part of the reason for my slow decision. I have not gotten very good information on CCC. As a previous 5ver owner, I know the importance of this number. It is, in my opinion, more important than floor plan or size. You can have all the storage area in the world but if you can only carry 1500 - 2000 lbs, you will soon realize those compartments are useless.

Once you subtract fuel (55 gal. approx 350 lbs), our weight (300 lbs), water (partial tank 100 lbs), that's 750 lbs before we even put in our things.

I want to be sure we have a carrying capacity that allows us to carry all of our essentials. I am willing to scale back, but some things are a must. Now I read on this forum that you can't always trust the stickers on the door. That doesn't seem to be right, I thought those tags were suppose to be correct so you don't stress your vehicle.

bayoubelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 05:45 PM   #16

For whatever reason, Nexus doesn't publish the various weight ratings on their website or under their specifications. You'll find that important information on other brands of motorhomes. So it's difficult to determine the CCC ... I suppose one could call?

Old 08-01-2016, 06:39 PM   #17

I called Nexus and they can tell you what the CCC is of each of there units. They told me the CCC included full fuel and propane tank and fresh water tank. I don't carry much water with me only enough to use bathroom and wash your hands. I empty black and gray tanks when we leave if only staying for one night. Can't justify spending fuel to haul dirty and fresh water down the road. I know all the liquid sloshing back and forth in the tanks put a lot of pressure on the sides of the tank that's called water hammer. And if you have to change lanes rapidly and the tanks are 1/2 full it will effect the center of gravity as the water moves rapidly to one side water is about 8 pounds per gallon or 400lbs for 50 gallons and that's a lot of weight moving around in the RV while making evasive moves. That's my personal feelings.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #18

Talking Another happy Nexus owner...

We bought our Nexus Phantom 23P lightly used {6,205 miles}, 3 years and 30,000+ miles ago. The quality is amazing, well above most of what you find out there. They are extremely well built (framed in steel, one piece fiberglass roof's and end caps, Azdell substrate with vacuum bonded walls, quality appliances like our 35,000 BTU furnace, tank heaters, inner spring mattress etc., etc.}.

They are not a huge company and have only been building RV's since 2011/12. The owners, Claude and Dave, spent a couple of decades at Gulfstar before opening their own plant. We have been coast to coast and even stopped at the factory in Elkhart for a couple of mods when we passed through Indiana.

The customer service we received has been off the chart wonderful especially when you remember we did not buy from them. Buying factory direct can be daunting unless you are an experienced RV'er and know what you want but the financial rewards can be substantial.

If you are buying factory direct you need to plan on at least two visits to Elkhart. First to take the tour and thoroughly research your purchase before putting money down. Second, when you take delivery spend a couple of days getting your new coach dialed in and correcting the inevitable minor glitches that come with every coach, regardless of the builder.

For the record our E-350 23P has 3,363# of payload and yes, we use most of that given all of the tools and toys we like to travel with. I also enjoy towing my Harley, bike and trailer weigh just under 1,000#. Cannot say enough good things about our V-10 with the 5 speed Torque Shift trans.

Nexus can customize your coach just about any way you would like and will work with you to make it perfect. i would not hesitate to buy another Nexus but we have been so happy with what we have {a veritable custom fit in an off the rack world}, that I doubt we will ever need to make a change.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:54 PM   #19

New Nexus Prospect

Really Like the comments I m seeing Here about Nexus - wife and I , believe the 25P C Class model is for Us ! Maybe U folks could answer a couple questions for Us ....... I know I want the Full body Paint , but do you think it's necessary to buy the 7,000$ upgraded premium Paint Job ? Also , the wife wants the Convection/ Microwave Oven , does anyone know if that's an option ? And can they do away with regular baking Oven ? .................... jIM
Old 09-12-2016, 06:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy boy JIM View Post
Really Like the comments I m seeing Here about Nexus - wife and I , believe the 25P C Class model is for Us ! Maybe U folks could answer a couple questions for Us ....... I know I want the Full body Paint , but do you think it's necessary to buy the 7,000$ upgraded premium Paint Job ? Also , the wife wants the Convection/ Microwave Oven , does anyone know if that's an option ? And can they do away with regular baking Oven ? .................... jIM
We will be picking up our Phantom 31P at the end of the month!! We are very excited and a bit nervous, since we have never owned an RV before. To answer a few of your questions, we opted for no paint jobs to keep the price down. We toured their factory and saw some of the painted rigs and they were absolutely beautiful! The Convection microwave is an option, which we chose. We did not want the oven, so now we have some extra storage space where the oven would be. You can opt for a larger fridge too. There are many things you can change. Check out their website and you will see of list of the options to customize your coach. Have fun shopping!
Old 09-14-2016, 09:59 AM   #21

We've been in communication with Nexus & were there last Saturday. The motorhomes look great & quality seems to be good. We're in the process of ordering a Ghost 36DS & probably take delivery in the late winter early spring. For us the first trip was to decide if we should move forward & we plan to make another trip in October when we sign/place the order. May need one more trip in between to totally work out the design questions. For us it's about a 3 hour drive so we can easily make multiple trips - not sure what we would do if we were a 1000 miles away.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:40 PM   #22

Hi Everyone - my wife and I are NeXus owners (32P - 2013) and can make a few comments. This is our 5th MH; we downsized from a 43' Dutchstar DP to this Class C. We have also owned a gas Newmar Class A, a Lazy Daze class C, and our first motor home back in 1990 was a Tioga Class C. So, we have some experience.
1. Quality - I would suggest that NeXus builds a mid-level MH. It is certainly not on par with a Lazy Daze, Born Free, or Coach House. It probably has a few features that make it superior to a Coachmen or Thor product. Very similar to Winnebago or Jayco. We had several issues which they addressed over time. The fit and finish was about what I expected; just OK. Not all owners have had a great after-sale service experience with NeXus, so be aware of that fact. We had a slide malfunction that ended up being traced to a wiring problem. NeXus also uses Lippert/Schwintek slide mechanisms on the class Cs, which have been problematic for some, including other brands. Our driver-side slide is noisy - it bangs going down the road - everyone says it is normal.
2. Customizing the interior is the principal reason we bought the NeXus; we simply could not get what we wanted with Winnebago or Jayco. Another Lazy Daze was out of the question for my wife, since they don't have slides.
3. CCC - I haven't spent any time trying to figure that out. We don't take much with us. We mostly fill the interior closets and cabinets, and I don't have very much, and nothing particularly heavy, in the outside compartments. I also travel with only 1/3 tank of fresh water, and dump before I leave a campground.
4. We have Quadra leveling jacks. Took a long time to get them to work right; several trips back to their facility in souther Michigan.
5. We don't have full-body paint, so I can't comment.
6. There is a NeXus rally planned for June 2017 in Elkhart. We had one in 2015, as well, in Elkhart.
7. We tow a 2012 Honda CRV, with an SMI brake system.

So, all-in-all, we got pretty much what we expected. We knew we were not buying a top-of-the line class C, nor were we buying an entry level class C. If I had it to do over again, I might look harder at small class A models; but the problem is that you can't get anything custom. And they likely will be more expensive.

We just returned from a 6,500 mile trip through the Canadian maritime provinces and had no MH issues related to NeXus. I did have to buy two new front tires and have the front end aligned after driving the terrible roads in NB, NS, PEI, and NL.

Two years ago we did a similar length trip to the western national parks.

Hope this helps.

Estero, FL
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #23

A couple of other things I forgot:
1. I had a Blue Ox track bar installed shortly after we took delivery. Like virtually every class C, the rear end moved a little too much for my taste when being passed by a semi. The track bar fixed that.
2. I had the trailer hitch raised to be directly under the frame. The way NeXus mounts it results in it hanging down about 4 inches, which reduces the rear clearance. And with any of the longer units you need all you can get.

Estero, FL
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:51 PM   #24

Nexus

My wife and I looked at a Nexus bunkhouse at the Hersey RV Show last week. They talked about their steel cage. When I mentioned Jayco suspension and stabilizers they said Jayco did that because they had more flex in the unit because it was built with alum and wood. Any comments on that?
Wthiggins280
Old 09-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #25

We also were told because of the steel frame it would be more rigid - don't know & not sure we'll be able to tell. When driving the different Brands/Models it seems like comparing apples & oranges. We're taking delivery the week of 10/31 of a Ghost 36DS so we'll possibly have more to add next spring (store for most of the winter).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ghost 9-30 Front Right Side.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	140356  
Old 10-01-2016, 09:58 AM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Consider how you will use the RV before paying for the body paint. My dealer and the internet says that the colored body paint can make your A/C work harder. Dark colors absorb more heat. I don't plan on getting any body paint.
bayoubelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #27

I just reopened discussions with Nexus today. I spoke with them last year and decided to wait. The customization they will do is a big selling point for us. You can have electrical and phone charging outlets placed exactly where you want them as well as many other features. You can choose from different styles of furniture as well.

We have one rv dealer within 25 miles of us. He carry's several lines with Winnebago being one. They have a terrible reputation locally for very high prices and terrible service after the sale. The next closest dealers are 150 miles away.

Nexus will allow any certified rv tech to do their warranty work. A good friend of mine has been in the rv repair business for 25 years and his shop is about 7 miles from my house. That's a big factor for us as well.

I'm not sure but I plan to ask if Nexus will source and install the slide out system of your choosing. Also plan to have them install a Progressive Dynamics power management system.

As far as full body paint I was pretty hot to have it last year. It was high on my list but after some thought I think I will save the money. I would be constantly worried and stressed about tree branches scraping down the sides while driving through campgrounds. I've owned classic cars with high end paint jobs and it drove me crazy buffing out every little scrape and scratch. Don't want to do that with a motor home.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #28

Picking up a new Ghost at the factory on Monday (Halloween) & looking forward to getting out. We'll post a picture next week.