Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2018, 02:39 PM   #1

No Class C Spare Tire

I bought a new Class C('18) and it has no spare tire or way to mount one. I negotiated a new, full-sized spare tire in the deal but I don't know where/how I should mount it.

My previous Class C had a mount inside the giant rear compartment with a full size spare but the new one doesn't have room in either of the two exterior compartments.

I don't think there is enough room underneath since the wastewater lines are in the way. And, in the back I don't know if the rear wall is strong enough to support a tire holder.

The salesman said that they don't want people changing their own tires for safety reasons but I have the knowledge and experience doing it myself.

Thoughts?
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #2

Make and model would help.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:58 PM   #3

on my forest river on a E-450 its under/rear of unit, like where it would/is on a pickup truck. Don't have the jack though & sure I don't want to change the tire anyway.well maybe the front tire but not the dual on the rear. also think you need a large breaker bar just to get the lug nuts off....
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #4

I always carry a spare, i would rather spend 30 minutes on the side of the road vs 4 hours plus
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
I always carry a spare, i would rather spend 30 minutes on the side of the road vs 4 hours plus
you need more than the spare. what type of jack, what type of lug wrench. something to lay on, warning flares. flat piece of ground & tire chucks. Think I'll just wait for the tow truck.
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:29 PM   #6

If the mystery motorhome has a solid rear bumper, you could try a continental or trailer style spare tire mount. Something like this, only for a light truck sized tire, or whatever your class C rides on.
https://www.harborfreight.com/traile...ier-93341.html
Old 08-18-2018, 02:41 AM   #7

If you have a trailer hitch.....

This was my solution. I installed an ATV winch to lift the tire to the storage position. The winch was actually cheaper than the crank handle cable winches for storing a spare.

Old 08-18-2018, 03:37 AM   #8

It would be nice to have a spare, but it adds a lot to an already limited CCC for a Class C. I would rather have other items than a spare you would use once in a blue moon.
Hennessy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #9

I have all the necessary implements for tire changing as I have done it before - full-sized spare tire/wheel, jack, lug wrench, wheel chocks, warning triangles and most importantly experience.

Sometimes knowing when not to do something is as important as having all the proper tools.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:30 PM   #10

All Good Info.

2018 Class C Thor Freedom Elite 26HE(27' 5" or so bumper to bumper) on a Ford E-350 chassis.

Thanks for ALL of the feedback - really!

I love the winch idea except for me there's no room. Tire exceeds the amount of space I have by just barely over an inch - frustrating!

I have considered welding a mount underneath holding the tire at an angle but having to handle and shoehorn it in there may not be worth the hassle.

The trailer tire bumper mount(suggested by Winterbagoal) doesn't work with the Ford wheels - I was given one in the purchase transaction as a stop-gap.

However, the one(posted by ThePowells) may work.

Keep it comin'

Scotty D
Old 08-18-2018, 01:40 PM   #11

...And, I have had to do this twice in 10 years. For full disclosure - both were times were an inside dual tire on the highway in the summer.

And, both times after limping to the next off ramp we were underway again within 45 mins.

I am a firefighter by trade so being on the side of the highway is asking for trouble. Get off whenever possible to avoid a collision.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverforest View Post
you need more than the spare. what type of jack, what type of lug wrench. something to lay on, warning flares. flat piece of ground & tire chucks. Think I'll just wait for the tow truck.
12 ton harbor freight bottle jack or 2x4s if outer dual.
I also have a 6 ton jack with chains in case rear dual is stuck on hub.
I carry a lug wrench or a dewalt 1/2 20v impact.

I will ruin a tire to get far off the road as possible if needed, changed too many tires on the side of the road and people seem to always be aiming for you. I believe they are looking at you and drive where they are looking, rumples on the road side serve as an early warming.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #13
tcg

I had a bumper mount for my spare on my Class C but I had to remove it for my scooter carrier.

My spare fit nicely under the rear bed.

I also had a hitch installed on the front of my E350 for a bike rack. I could easily put a spare tire carrier in there instead.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:47 PM   #14

Good thinking. I hadn't thought of that. Question: does that interfere with air flow to the radiator?

Scotty D

Tags
class c