Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2015, 04:29 PM   #1

No Generator Power

So I traded my TT for my first Class C yesterday, a 2014 Minnie Winnie 31K with 5k miles. Completed the paperwork, demo, and I unplugged and went on my way...

The demo was conducted while the rig was plugged in. Today I went to pack it with all of the gear I had in the TT and took my little girl in there with her favorite DVD. Fired up the generator, and no power to TV, DVD, Fridge or any outlets.

The generator is an Onan RV 4000 with about 19 hours on it.

Does anyone have any recommendations? What newbie mistake am I making? Dealership is closed right now and rig was so as is...

Semper Fi
Cruzer1

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2015, 04:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
On the generator, there should be breaker.........if so reset them.
http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/981-0503.pdf
Page 6-29
Not sure of the location of the breaker, might be similar to this http://www.redroverroadtrek.com/OnanCircuitBreaker.html

Old 03-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Or the breaker switch could be off. Sometimes it happens because they turn it off while servicing
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:38 PM   #4

The manual for the Onan is probably on line. Do a search on the model number. If the generator runs your problem could be breakers, a stuck brush on the rotor. THere should be error codes if you read the manual to figure them out. Also assume you have a transfer switch not a socket to plug your shore cord into.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #5

I popped the cover off. There's a sticker indicating where the breaker is. The breaker was on the on position. Turned it off for 5 or so minutes, switched it on and tested it. Same results.

nothermark I'm on a transfer switch. What do you mean a stuck brush on the rotor?
Old 03-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Time to use a voltage meter and get a voltage reading at the transfer switch to see what the out put of the genset is, if good, transfer switch needs to be troubleshot.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #7

Thanks Palehorse. I will get my hand on one and let you guys know.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:12 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer1 View Post
Thanks Palehorse. I will get my hand on one and let you guys know.
Be careful! Sounds like the problem might lie in your transfer switch
Find/locate the contractor for the genset, with it running, the top should have good voltage on the terminals and if nothing on the bottom terminals, the contractor has not picked up for some reason...
Old 03-28-2015, 05:14 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
According to page 6-5 of the Operator Manual for your coach you don't have an automatic transfer switch, but instead need to manually plug the power cord into the generator outlet in the electrical bay (see picture in manual).

OnEdit: Correct description

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #10

Contractor? I searched the manual for contractor and nothing comes up...Seems like I'm gonna have to wait for dealership.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Contractor? I searched the manual for contractor and nothing comes up...Seems like I'm gonna have to wait for dealership.
No need to wait for anybody--just plug your shore power cord into the generator outlet.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #12

Quote:
I popped the cover off. There's a sticker indicating where the breaker is. The breaker was on the on position. Turned it off for 5 or so minutes, switched it on and tested it. Same results.

nothermark I'm on a transfer switch. What do you mean a stuck brush on the rotor?
AFAIK the generators in those units are like car alternators. They spin the field winding using slip rings and carbon brushes to power the spinning field. The brush can stick in the holder so it does not slide into good contact with the rotor thus losing power to the field winding.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:37 PM   #14

plug generator back in

When they were showing you the power hook-up during the demo the generator was probably not plugged back in. Plug in should be close to were the cord is located. I hate to admit it but I did the same thing last year, after several frustrating hours I finally figured it out.

Tags
generator, power