Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #1

No Power in Cab

Hello,

I have a 2005 Monaco Esquire and I have no power in the front cab. When I turn the key to “on,” there is nothing – no lights, sounds, or indicator movement. The lights do not turn on, the door locks do not work, and the door step does not work.

However, if I use the generator crossover switch, it will start and runs fine. When I turn it off, all is dead again.

I have checked the one-year old chassis battery with a meter and it charges while the engine is running and holds the charge after shutting down. The house batteries are also a year old and are being charged/holding charge as they should.

I was going to check fuses, but when I open the door, after the MH had sat for two days, the door step worked. So I turned the engine on and the indicator lights flashed for a second and then all went dead. No lights, step stopped working and door locks did not work.

That tells me it is not a fuse problem and I am not sure where to look next. I want to test the chassis cut off switch, but am not sure how. I would really appreciate any ideas on where to look for this problem.

Thanks!
Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #2

Remove and clean the chassis battery cable terminals. Just because they look good, don't mean they are clean and tight.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

When you say you "charge the chassis battery with the engine running, and after shutting it down, the battery holds a charge." That is probably a 'surface charge' and isn't a true indication of the battery's state of charge. Check water level in battery cells, then put it on a battery charger overnight. After unplugging the charger, let the battery sit a couple of hours and measure voltage. A fully charged battery should be at about 12.6 volts.

You stated it's not a fuse problem, but it could be a circuit breaker that automatically resets. Do you have a Chassis battery cut off switch? You stated you used the 'generator crossover switch' which I think you mean a battery boost switch on the dashboard that inner-connects house and chassis batteries while you hold it down, often called a boost switch.

You didn't identify the RV chassis maker, but I guess a Ford. Look under the hood for a plastic box that contains fuses ane solenoid relays for chassis functions.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:02 PM   #4

I do have a have chassis battery cut off switch. I have these same symptoms when it is turned off so I want test it, but I am not sure how. I will get a chance to work on the RV tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
The solenoid probably looks like one of these:

The two large terminals are the ones being switched by the solenoid. If you remove the large wire from one post and put it together with the large wire on the other post you will bridge the solenoid and power will flow.

The smaller terminals provide the power and signal to energize the relay and make it switch on and off.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #6

Thanks for the help. You were right, Twinboat. The chassis connections looked good, but I cleaned them and all is well. I am grateful it was an easy fix!

Tags
power