Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No room for a toaster oven.

I missed the toaster oven that sat on the counter when I lived in a S & B, but there was no place for one in my tiny MH kitchen. I rarely cook and have never used the oven for baking. So, I removed the vent hood, insulated and sealed the vent hole that let in so much cold air. In it's place, under the microwave, I mounted an undercounter toaster oven. I had to use toggle bolts instead of the bolts that came in the box.

Now I can have toast again and reheated pizza won't be a soggy mass of bread dough. Total cost $72 and about 30 minutes time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2012, 05:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I missed the toaster oven that sat on the counter when I lived in a S & B, but there was no place for one in my tiny MH kitchen. I rarely cook and have never used the oven for baking. So, I removed the vent hood, insulated and sealed the vent hole that let in so much cold air. In it's place, under the microwave, I mounted an undercounter toaster oven. I had to use toggle bolts instead of the bolts that came in the box.

Now I can have toast again and reheated pizza won't be a soggy mass of bread dough. Total cost $72 and about 30 minutes time.
Our Dutchman doesn't have room for my toaster oven either. There's very little counter-space. How did you install yours high enough to still use the stove burners? If we installed ours above the stove it would not clear the burners, and because of the gauges on the hood, it can't be removed.

Do you have a pic you can post?
Old 09-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Intruder has lots of room for our toaster oven, And what's more it's a very large toaster oven (Aroma Roterissery oven in fact) about 2x the height and 1.5 the width of most other toaster ovens Deeper too. We use it much of the time, Why pay for Propane when the electric is included in the site rental?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:23 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I seldom use the burners. I microwave cook mostly. It's just not safe to have an open flame and a monkey in the same room. If I do need to use a burner, I could slip the toaster oven out of the heat deflector/mounting bracket that holds it in place. Sorry, my ipad won't post pics to this list.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Today I found and mounted a temporary plate over the vent exhaust opening in the kitchen wall. It's a defunct license plate from a car I sold. South Dakota plates are flat (not embossed) and look to be aluminum. It is the perfect size and has pre-drilled holes. I stuffed in some insulation and mounted the plate over a piece of 45 mil pond liner cut to the same shape, like a gasket. I had some left over from another project.

Some day I'll replace the wall panel, if I don't decide to put the vent hood back up. Not likely that I'll give up the toaster.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-19-2012, 02:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I seldom use the burners. I microwave cook mostly. It's just not safe to have an open flame and a monkey in the same room. If I do need to use a burner, I could slip the toaster oven out of the heat deflector/mounting bracket that holds it in place. Sorry, my ipad won't post pics to this list.
OK, gotcha. That's kind of what we do in the NorthTrail. We set the toaster oven on the burner cover and remove it when we need to use the burners.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
My Intruder has lots of room for our toaster oven, And what's more it's a very large toaster oven (Aroma Roterissery oven in fact) about 2x the height and 1.5 the width of most other toaster ovens Deeper too. We use it much of the time, Why pay for Propane when the electric is included in the site rental?
That's the only thing I wish was different in the Dutchman.. more counter space. It's very limited. There's actually almost no prep area. Not that we do a lot of indoor cooking but on the planned cross-country trip we wont be setting up our outdoor kitchen in the First-Up. So when it rains, it's indoor cooking or sandwiches.