Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-22-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
No toad?

Like to hear from class C owners who do not pull a toad.
Considering a smaller motorhome that could be used without a toad, and that cold be used as transportation at destinations. I realize this means a smaller class C.
Thanks any opinions and suggestions.

2016 Bay Star Sport downsize from 2001 MountainAire
Toad GMC Terrain, might leave it home on some trips.
hillboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 05:54 PM   #2
We did it for several years with a 27' Class C. IMO it was a pain having to pack up everything before we left for a day's sightseeing. Once we came back to find someone else in our site. I would never do that again.

Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Drove two 22' m/h's a total of 23 years without a toad. Never missed one either. When we moved up in length to 30' a toad magically appeared. Now drive a 35' and of course tow. Loved our 22's when we had them but now could not go back. Of all our rigs we believe the 30' was the "right" length. Have now been motorhome owners for 38 years. Before that was a couple of trailers. Motorhomes won out.
02rld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:13 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
We had a 31' Class C, probably big enough to pull a toad but we didn't. If we were going on an extended trip, say 1 months or more we just drive a separate vehicle. Not very economic but that's what we did.

We then bought a Class A and didn't have a toad for the first year. We went to Alaska without a toad, big mistake since a lot of the interesting places were off the main roads.

We now have a Jeep GC as a toad and having the 2nd vehicle is the only way to go. Just being able to go to the store without having to pack everything up is a huge convenience. We won't go back not having a toad.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:46 PM   #5
So far, we haven't needed a toad. Our Aspect is 30' and is surprisingly nimble. Parking hasn't been an issue. You can add a bike rack to carry a couple of bicycles for quick store runs, etc. I figure if ever we're staying somewhere for several days/weeks where we'd like to day trip we'll just rent a car.

Happy trails!

2010 Winnebago Aspect 28B
RogerRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:43 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a Winnebago view. 24 feet. I have all the equipment to flat tow a 2003 Chevy Tracker but only do so when we are going to the beach and want to 4x4 in the sand or for gravel road exploration. Otherwise we just drive the RV and bring a folding bike. For perspective, a Ford F-350 super cab is 22 feet long. People who have 5th wheel trailers or the like drive those around after unhooking.

Having a short RV opens up a lot more year around day trips for us than we would do otherwise even in populous areas where we can readily park something smaller. Factor that benefit as well.

I agree with another post that putting things away in the morning adds another 10-15 minutes of time, but we're not in a big hurry.

For camp and to avoid a spot getting taken where there is no reservation sign, on occasion we have used a cable with a lock that we tie the camp chairs together and affix to something at the site. Nobody has ever taken the site while we are gone.
History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:07 AM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
We have had several Class C's and a couple of B's before we got our 31' Class A. We now tow a Toyota Tacoma. We had the C's and B's while I was still working and our trips were normally 2 weeks long. The trips were carefully planned and most stays were only 1 night and we would site-see during the day while travelling from one campground to the next. Once we parked, we typically stayed until the next day. Now that I'm retired, we have more time for travelling so we upgraded to the Class A with toad. My son and family also moved to Chicago. We definitely need a toad there.

If your Class C is 24 Ft or shorter, it can be done. Once you get above 26' and up to 31 ft. there are too many places that you can't get to easily. You can forget about going into any larger cities. I considered adding a small motorcycle on a MC carrier, but never found it stable enough to be comfortable with it. Blue OX has a hitch stabilizer that might make it work if I tried it now.

Good luck,

2013 Newmar Bay Star 3002 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma
Options: 5 Star Tune, Bilstein Comfitrac Shocks, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, Blue OX TigerTrac, CHF, RVIbrake2, Centramatics Balancers
JerryP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:33 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 27ft and I look for RV sites that have shuttle services to places we want to go. So far its worked out without a tow car. We have been to Disneyland, Washington DC, Niagara Falls, Hershey amusement park, Yosemite, and Las Vegas.

We have also parked along our route to check things out before we settle in. Graceland, Gettysburg, Virginia beach, route 66.

So far with a little planning and research we haven't really needed a to a car to check out popular tourist areas.
Ray and Maria
Lincoln CA
Our iRV2 Gallery & Family Photo's link
rdrv831 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #9
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks folks for the feedback
2016 Bay Star Sport downsize from 2001 MountainAire
Toad GMC Terrain, might leave it home on some trips.
hillboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:51 PM   #10

Not having a toad can be a pain. Unless you are content to just sit in a CG and do nothing a toad is vital. Granted some CGs have shuttles but they generally run to a central point in town, or to a local attraction. They are not very good for touring the area.
Using the MH will not be pleasant. unhook all the utilities put away all your gear. Take a little tour, then come back and set it all up again. I'll pass on that, especially if it's raining, or some other bad weather.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #11
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We now have a toad, but years ago we did not. It was what you make of it.

We found a lot of trolleys,trams, and buses and seemed to do alright. Fact a few times met some really nice folks, some took us with them to dinner, or local entertainment, or church services.

Best folks in the world are a part of this RV community.
2007 Newmar KSDP. 3912
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
DGBPokes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #12
One good option is to carry a small motorcycle or scooter. I have used a simple hitch carrier to bring along my Yamaha 250 with me instead of towing my SUV at times.

Good 8 to 10 year old dirt bikes are available for about $2000.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #13
Talking No Toad to a "sort of" Toad....

For the first couple of years we cruised our Nexus 24' Class C nearly 25,000 miles {coast to coast},with no Toad. We bought an under 25 footer so that we would not need one and frankly it worked just fine. Never had a problem shopping, sight seeings etc., and loved the freedom of no Toad travel, but then....

After nearly 40 years off of motorcycles I got back up on two wheels and life just got better. My new ride was a classic 1987 BMW R80 RT and it came with a nice little trailer that our motorhome tows like a dream. We put 5,000+ miles, three weeks in the southern Rockies and three more in northern California, pulling the bike, which, is "sort of" a Toad. Here is a shot of the rig in Ouray, Colorado last August:

We don't use the bike to shop but anytime we are near a great bike road off we go exploring. We did the 100 mile loop from Angel Fire up through Red River, Questa, Taos and back up over the pass to AF. We road Mesa Verde National Park and in northern California from Grass Valley/Nevada City up to Downeyville and back... just to name a few of our more memorable rides.

I've now upgraded the bike to a 2010 Harley Dyna Super Glide, waaaay more power and much more comfortable ride for the both of us. Here is a pic:

We are headed back to northern California for another month long adventure (our 5th year in a row), and will be hauling the new bike this September.

November will see us leaving Tucson for Key West Florida. We plan on leaving the motorhome in Homestead and riding the bike down through the keys for a nice 3 or 4 days and to celebrate my birthday (was born in Key West). Here is a shot of the new trailer (no pics yet of the Harley loaded):

Lastly,here is a shot of the trailer folded up, it rolls around on three hard rubber casters in this position, weighs less than 200# and obviously can be stored just about anywhere:

Don't think we will ever want a "Toad" per se but hauling the bike just for the fun of riding it in interesting places is working real well.

2012 Nexus Phantom 23P Class C
Ford E-350 Chassis 6.8L V-10 w/5 speed trans w/tow haul mode, 55 gal fuel tank
USCG Licensed Master 100 Ton (Retired)
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote