RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #1

No tow?

Do any of you class c owners travel without a tow vehicle? We have a class B and I like driving it. I would prefer not to tow anything. Too old for new tricks.

Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2019, 01:51 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we had a C, we did not tow a car.
Just break camp and go.

And, now there are options like a rental car at many destinations, ride share, etc.

Maybe bring a bike with a basket on a bumper rack - perfect for those quick trips to a store.

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
OUTLAW MODS/FIXES
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we had a Type B MH we didn't tow, in fact I used it for my daily driver for a few years. In 1997 we traded it in for a new Type C, bought a dolly and towed a '95 Odyssey. Have never been without a towed since.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #4

I drove 38k + miles last summer across the United States and coast to coast across Canada in my 23' class C without a toad - including downtown Boston during rush hour thanks to my GPS.

It's small enough with a short wheelbase that I'm not afraid to take it anywhere I see a road, preferably paved.

fwiw: I had a 250cc motorcycle on the hitch carrier but it never got unloaded and the battery was dead from lack of use when I thought I might use it.

2018 - 38,295 miles (153% Earth's circumference ), April 15th - Nov. 15th, 47 states including Alaska, 9 Canadian provinces and 2 Territories.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #5

Our first coach was a Class C, and we tried a couple of trips without towing. We rented when we got there. That worked out OK if we were going to be there a few days, but for two-night stops we'd spend a large part of our free day getting and returning the car. It just didn't work for us. We finally bought a tow dolly to pull our car, and it's worked out better for us.

I'd say if you're going somewhere and planning to stay for a while, renting while you're there works fine. But if you're planning multiple stops with some one-day sightseeing trips, you may be better off towing.

You could always try not towing on a couple of trips. If it works out for you, that's great. If not, reconcile yourself to towing something.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #6

Had a Class A 37ft for past 15 years and never towed. Racked up well over 100K miles during that time and we've never missed having a toad with us. Have rented on 3 different occasions for three days in LA/Anaheim, LV (to go explore further afield once) during that time, and first time in May/June this year, loved Uber for access to LV Strip and San Fran. Most of the time we walk for miles and miles, occasionally cycle, and if appropriate use public transport, such as to NYC, DC.

Being diabetic it's forced me to get the exercise I so badly need to maintain so it's been a win-win health wise for me, and one of the main reasons until very very recently we've never considered towing. We've truly never missed it that I can recall.

It's all a state of mind on what an individual sees as convenience must haves, and compromising plus structuring how we do things as to whether you need a toad or not. We pick up all our groceries as we are travelling to last us several days so we never had to break camp anyways.
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:43 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Had Class A motorhomes, for 25+ years, always towed. My 24ft Class C,- in 3 years and 40,000 miles, I have rented a car twice. It is rigged to tow my Suzuki Grand Vitara but really on use it to drop RV off at MB dealer for service.
Easy to break camp, drop cones to save campsite and go. I do carry a bicycle to use around the campground.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:14 PM   #8

I have had a couple of Class Aís and a couple of Class cís, including the 26 footer I have now. I have never towed a toad. When we camp, we always expect to disconnect ( 5 minutes) and drive some where. Sometimes there are even benefits to sightseeing with a m/h.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:22 AM   #9

Smile Thanks to all

I appreciate all of the input. Your experience is exactly what I was hoping you would share. Lots of years and miles are evident. I expected to hear pros and cons and I did.
My takeaway is that a tow vehicle isnít a necessity, which is good for me, but that some people like the convenience. And I am not locked into any choice. Thanks much!
Old 01-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike View Post
I appreciate all of the input. Your experience is exactly what I was hoping you would share. Lots of years and miles are evident. I expected to hear pros and cons and I did.
My takeaway is that a tow vehicle isnít a necessity, which is good for me, but that some people like the convenience. And I am not locked into any choice. Thanks much!

One thing for sure. I won't cost anything other than an occasional rental or Uber to find out if it'll work without a toad.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:50 PM   #11

We do not tow a vehicle behind our Class C and make it work. My wife often "chases" me in our Subaru during shorter trips. She uses that time as an opportunity to get a break from the noise of our busy household. I am glad to take the dogs and our little on on the motorhome if it means my wife gets some needed quiet time. We often just take the motorhome if we are in a state park without a ton of local attractions. We plan to rent a car when we take long-distance trips.
Driftless RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:06 AM   #12

Thanks Tom. Nice plan.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:13 AM   #13

This is the thread I have been looking for. Have a 24' Class C that we have had for two years-no toad to date. Much research led me to reject the 4 down approach because of $-north of 40K for a new jeep and set up. Was about to purchase a tow dolly. Have loved the "nimbleness" of the little class c after towing long travel trailers. Will use a combination of what I read here. Thanks for the ideas.
Outdoorsman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:00 AM   #14

We have owned two class C's and haven't towed with either of them. The current is a 25 foot model and we have not had many issues finding a place to park. We do take our bicycles and are happy to use them for going around town to see things. I.E. Key West; stayed at Boyd's and rode all over as its much easier than having a car. St.Augustine, stayed at Annastasia State Park and rode into St. Augustine. Again much easier than taking a car and finding parking. Niagara Falls, park in the RV lot 3 and ride bikes from there.
At the campground, we operate off our tanks and only plug in the electric cord. We can easily go 3-4 days without dumping or filling. Breaking camp for day trips is easy and while a car may get better milage, we can drive the RV 100 miles on the daily cost of a rental. We also like having the RV with us for snacks, naps etc.

Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow