Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2016, 10:58 AM   #1

Not sure what I have

I had a new 5th wheel that died young. I just bought a used Class C from a second hand dealer, but not sure what I have. The vehicle VIN shows a 2002 E350 Chassis with a 5.4 V-8. The dealer thought he had a 2002 Tioga with a V-10, but he was wrong. Mechanically it was in good condition and the price was low so I bought it. However, once I got it home I see a 2002 Tioga should have the V-10, but it has the V-8. Then I looked at the Fleetwood plate on the motorhome and it says it was manufactured in May 1998. I don't know what I have. Any clues?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2016, 12:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Post a photo of Fleetwood plate. I think it should have both the Fleetwood VIN and the Ford VIN on it. If it doesn't have the Ford VIN on it, post that also. A May 98 Fleetwood could be a 99 model year. Tell us which model Tioga you have. There should be a considerable price difference between a 98 and 02 MH. Since you show you are in FL, I would have the local sheriff come out and verify both VIN's. I would then bring the MH back to the dealer with fraud in mind.

Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:21 PM   #3

One (remote) possibility is that you have a former rental, like a Cruise America. For a number of years way back when, they were reconditioning the house/camper units and putting them on new chassis. Someone or some other company could have done the same thing ?
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #4

Posting photos

I have photos on my computer of the fleetwood id tags, but don't know how to post photos. At any rate the fleetwood id does not mention the chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1891.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	556.5 KB
ID:	117775   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1902.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	117776  

Old 01-30-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
One (remote) possibility is that you have a former rental, like a Cruise America. For a number of years way back when, they were reconditioning the house/camper units and putting them on new chassis. Someone or some other company could have done the same thing ?
I think that pretty well nails it.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:57 PM   #6

rental?

I have a history of the ford chassis and it never shows being owned by other than an individual until the used dealer got it and I bought it. I bought it cheap and the generator only has 550 hours on it. I am replacing some switches on the heater and hot water heater. They work when I bypassed a relay on each, but I am waiting for parts before I use them. I am putting in new bed and dinette cushions just because I want to. Re-caulked everything. Getting it ready to go. Far cry from the upscale 5th wheel that developed a leak in storage and basically dissolved before I knew i had a leak.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #7

The weight sheet you posted has Fleetwood calling it a 1999. I can't read the date on the other label. It might have been built in 1998 but they are calling it a 1999, that's normal or commonplace. What's not normal is that house sitting on a 2002 chassis. A year apart or so in build dates is common, but a 3 or 4 yr difference is not normal.
In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't make that much difference, since you have the (correct I assume) year of the cab/chassis for if or when replacement/repair parts are needed. It sure would be interesting to find out how those two pieces ended up getting together.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #8

What does the TITLE say it is?

Even if it was a really good deal, I'd need this explained. Is this a reconstructed salvage vehicle? I'd go to the selling dealer and give them a reasonable amount of time to come up with a written explanation. Written, because when you go to sell or trade it, the next buyer will be asking the same questions of you. If that doesn't work out, I'd be getting the state involved:

https://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/80122.pdf
Old 03-17-2016, 01:06 PM   #9

My title reads 2008 Ford E450 and my Winnebago plate reads 2010. I contacted Winnebago and gave them my serial number on the coach and they were able to send me the build sheet listing all options as well as noting it was a rental. If you run a Carfax on the Ford VIN it shows a 1-owner. It's kind of screwy I know, but I knew beforehand what I was getting.

Good luck with your search.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by allynnc View Post
I had a new 5th wheel that died young. I just bought a used Class C from a second hand dealer, but not sure what I have. The vehicle VIN shows a 2002 E350 Chassis with a 5.4 V-8. The dealer thought he had a 2002 Tioga with a V-10, but he was wrong. Mechanically it was in good condition and the price was low so I bought it. However, once I got it home I see a 2002 Tioga should have the V-10, but it has the V-8. Then I looked at the Fleetwood plate on the motorhome and it says it was manufactured in May 1998. I don't know what I have. Any clues?
allynnc
Legally your class C is what the VIN, (Vehicle Identification Number), on the title says it is.

See How to Decode an RV's VIN Number | eHow to find exactly what your particular VIN means.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 03-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #11

Allynnc,

What you have here maybe a real bad time. I suggest that you get a ford dealer to (or tell you where to)find the actual chassis VIN. There is really nothing that will stop a vehicle dealer from playing games with the title, but if you decide to sell it and the new owner finds out that the title you passed him does not represent the vehicle, he can charge you with fraud. At the very least, he will get his money back and maybe more.

The situation you are describing is a** backwards of what usually happens in the RV world. It is not uncommon to find a VIN a year newer than the chassis, but a coach four years older than the chassis??? Not Happenen Jack.

So get some things verified and be real ready to go back to the dealer that sold that as a 2002.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:45 PM   #12

I would assume the OP has moved on.
I believe all four of his posts on this forum were on Jan. 30.