Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2015, 09:06 PM   #1

Not used to tall rv.

Being new to the rv world, we are not used to the height of our rv, is there such a thing that can tell you if you are getting to close to a tree limb so you dont hit it and scrape your roofor slam into something.
bugsydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2015, 09:28 PM   #2

Our MH is 12' 10" high, so you just need to really watch and pay attention. You are OK on any of the major freeways/interstates ect. For the most part anytime you see big rigs taking the roads you will be ok in height. The big rigs on a regulary traveled route tend to naturally keep the trees higher than your MH(even though they look close). If anything hits it would be the flimsy type branches/leaves and will not do any damage.

The real problem comes in some of the CG's and on side roads that the big rigs don't travel. We have had to back out of some places due to low hanging trees. We just pulled into a State Park where the ranger said they had plenty of open sites, but wasn't sure we could fit length wise. When we pulled in there were several good spots we could fit in length wise, just all the trees were too low in the spots as well as the access roads. When I spoke to the Ranger he said he never even thought about height being a problem.

Also when we get gas if the Stations Cover isn't marked with a height, my wife jumps out to make sure we are OK, we have had several that we could tell just by looking were too low and don't pull in. The more you drive it the better you will get at estimating the height of obstacles. Also pay attention to low bridge signs on some of the freeway exits, not a usual thing, but it does occur where a bridge on a small street exit may not have the clearance.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:44 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Measure the highest point of your RV and record it on your visor or other place for quick reference when approaching bridges, tunnels and aprons at fuel stations, etc. If you add any vent toppers, your height may increase.
When in doubt about an obstruction, stop and put the transmission in Park. Collision repair is expensive.
I carry a measuring stick with me for trees and aprons (roof over gas pumps). It is made of PVC pipe (4 connecting pieces) and a red tape mark indicates the height needed for clearance. I have never hit a tree or over hang at a fuel station with the use of my idiot stick.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:21 PM   #4

Good idea doggy daddy. I came across something called rv overhead protection plan. You put it on top of your rv and when you come up to something that will hit your rv it sends a signal. I think with some time under our belt we will get used to the height. I just followed my husband home from picking the rv up and saw that he neerly had a run in with a over hanging tree in our neighborhood. He had no idea it was even close.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:19 AM   #5
Community Moderator

This one?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1421489966.877737.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	83433
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:42 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
In unfamiliar areas my DW serves as a second set of eyes. She also checks the passenger side blind spot for right hand lane changes. Very helpful!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #7

Yes, pasdad1