Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #1

Question Oh, What to do, What to do????

We have a 1993 Rexhall Airex, Class "C" on a Ford chassis. I have never seen nor heard of another Rexhall Class "C". It is in good condition with around 45,000 miles. It came equipped with almost all the bells and whistles. I love this coach and have done considerable work on it (as is required for any older unit). New paint, new fuel pump, new front end, new tires, new converter, new foam in dinette, new back-up camera, new etc.... Latest improvements -- new flat screen TV, new Jack antenna, new, awning fabric, new slide out shelves in pantry. Lots of work but loved every minute and it is just the way we want it..

Now, yesterday I find Lynda on line looking at motor homes. She tells me that there is not quite enough leg room in the front passenger seat and it is just not comfortable. She says otherwise she loves our current unit but she needs more room in the front seat. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Is it feasible or possible to re-position the front passenger seat about 4" to the rear? I realize that safety is a critical factor in doing something like this. By moving only 4", the existing seat belt mounts will still work. The seat sits on a post and is bolted to the floor. I plan to re-mount it with a 1/4" steel backing plate under the floor. There is nothing behind the seat to cause any interference.

Am I looking at a feasible solution to this problem or am I dreaming. Should I just give up my baby and and get a new coach. Oh, and no, getting rid of my wife after 42 years of marriage is not an option. I suggested that she could ride in the left seat and be the driver. She says that is not an option either. Any other suggestions on solving this problem.

Bob

Sunny Sebastian Fl.
bobwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Short of reducing the length of her legs it sounds like you have the best plan. As long as you have the room behind the seat. Fabricating an off-set plate as a go-between the seat and seat slide may work very well, if actually moving the seat base on the floor is a problem.

Our first MH was a 29 ft '92 Four Winds Class C on a Ford chassis. It wasn't long before the wife started complaining about room. Not with the front seat and she's 5'8". It was basic room in the coach, narrow walking space and general comfort on any stay over a few days. Needless to say, it wasn't long before we had a 35' ft Class A with a 16x3 ft slide. I must admit, I'm happier too.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #3

That's a major complaint about the Ford cabs. Along with the heated floor. My wife is 5.2 and still complains about leg room. If you can move the seat go for it. I can't move mine.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
hi campingman,
I see you mentioned the heated floor issue with ford cabs, what exactly are you talking about? When I drove my used 1992 Gulfstream Ultra limited class c home last summer after i bought it I noticed the warm floor but I though it was due to the bad exhaust system. I have since replaced it but havent had it running long enough to see if the floor still gets warm.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYRVer View Post
hi campingman,
I see you mentioned the heated floor issue with ford cabs, what exactly are you talking about? When I drove my used 1992 Gulfstream Ultra limited class c home last summer after i bought it I noticed the warm floor but I though it was due to the bad exhaust system. I have since replaced it but havent had it running long enough to see if the floor still gets warm.
Well what I noticed was the exhaust manifold on the V-10 is just an inch or so away from the dog house and the floor. I had to add insulation inside as well as a heavy floor mat so the wife's feet didn't toast.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I found a good solution to this, let the wife drive..
Old 04-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are 2 locations on the seat assembly where you can move a post mount front seat in a van (cab/chassis) rearward -IF- you have room behind the chair:

1. At the floor (post to floor mount) and 2. at the slide rails (seat mount to post)

For option #1, please be aware that the cab floor of the van has 4 LARGE blind nuts installed under the floor metal. These are reinforced and welded into place by the Mfgt. To move the chair post rearwards at the floor, I would drill new holes in the bottom plate of the post mount and re-use the factory blind nuts vs. drilling the floor. There might also be a heat shield under the floor that prevents your access to add new nuts under the floor

For option #2, the slide rails can be moved rearward with 4 new holes in the top plate of the post (easiest option) or add additional top plate metal for even more rearward adjustment.

And - there is also a mixture of both options to get even more rearward movement.

Best of luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #8

Job completed.

OK, the seat is moved. I was able to gain 4" by moving the pedestal as far to the rear as possible. There is a step up from the cab floor to the coach floor. I moved the pedestal all the way back to that step. Re-drilled the cab floor and bolted the pedestal back to the floor with additional plates for reinforcement and safety. Had to raise the pedestal 1 1/2" so that the seat would clear the step. The seat belts are still functional in the original position. Lynda approves and any thoughts of a new coach are over.

I think that this is the best modification I have made yet. At least, Lynda says it is! As they say, "When momma's happy, everybody is happy".

Bob

Sunny Sebastian Fl.
bobwalter is offline   Reply With Quote