Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2018, 05:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
But I would worry about 6200 miles before changing... Just do it after your trip.
Yes, that is not 25% over. Where do you draw the line? 30% over? 50%?
Given a choice I would do 3800 but not 6200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I would go with what your owner's manual says. The 5K recommended by the dealer is for their money making purposes.
Let's see. Book says 5000 for dino oil, and 7500 for fake. But the dealer is shafting people by putting in dino, and not running the fake oil interval? I'm not smart, but that don't sound right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM Rolling View Post
Oil, funnel, filter, drain pan and shop towels can be had at most any auto parts store. I would then change the oil and filter in the parking lot. (find a shady spot)
Shop towels are always in my tool kit. If I think I will need to change it on a trip I add the filter wrench. Drain pan? A good box, lined with a trash bag. On my engine, I can most days pour oil in without a funnel, but if doing a change I roll up a sheet of paper. Once we traveled more than planed, did not have filter wrench with. I changed the oil, then when got home I just changed the filter.

Quote:
I would not go longer than recommended (I would, and have, gone less miles than recommended), oil is the lifeblood of your engine and you can only be helping it by changing it out. Long hot days, especially with a heavy load, can break down the dino oil fairly quickly.
Thank you!
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #16

I would look at what the oil manufacturer recommends. Modern oils typically are good for around 7-7.5K miles but dealers and quick lube places typically try to do them every 3K because it puts money in their pockets. If the oil is still good, why change it? However, with the extra strain that towing adds if the oil is good for 7-7,500 miles, I would think that you should be OK with 6,200 miles but I wouldn't go much beyond that.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
I would look at what the oil manufacturer recommends. Modern oils typically are good for around 7-7.5K miles
I have used a lot of oil over the years, but never remember one telling me how long it would last. When you sa "modern oil" are you referring to synthetic? If so the OP has stated he is running dino. The oil companies can say the fake will last longer, but unless they know the condition of the engine, and the conditions it is running in, they can't say how long it will last.

Quote:
If the oil is still good, why change it?
AKAIK, the only way to know the oil is still good is to pull a sample and send it to the lab. For the mess made getting the sample, and the cost of a gallon and half of oil just change it IMHO.

Quote:
However, with the extra strain that towing adds if the oil is good for 7-7,500 miles, I would think that you should be OK with 6,200 miles but I wouldn't go much beyond that.
BUT the DINO (or regular oil) is only good for 5000, not 7000! In the overall cost of a RV, engine oil is cheap. And when you figure what you might loose if you bet wrong on how good the oil is....
Old 08-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
I have used a lot of oil over the years, but never remember one telling me how long it would last. When you sa "modern oil" are you referring to synthetic? If so the OP has stated he is running dino. The oil companies can say the fake will last longer, but unless they know the condition of the engine, and the conditions it is running in, they can't say how long it will last.

AKAIK, the only way to know the oil is still good is to pull a sample and send it to the lab. For the mess made getting the sample, and the cost of a gallon and half of oil just change it IMHO.

BUT the DINO (or regular oil) is only good for 5000, not 7000! In the overall cost of a RV, engine oil is cheap. And when you figure what you might loose if you bet wrong on how good the oil is....
If the OP is using regular oil, then it should probably be changed before it reaches 5K miles based on the severe use it will receive in an RV or towing scenario.

I agree that oil changes are cheap (particularly if you do them yourself) but you're throwing money out if you're changing the oil every 3K miles. That was my main point.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:34 AM   #19

I had my last oil change done at a local Jiffy Lube... less than hour. Further, I wouldn’t worry about meeting a 5000 mile deadline. 6500 miles will probably be of no consequence unless you are driving 6500 miles of stop and go city driving. Just my opinion.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
If the OP is using regular oil, then it should probably be changed before it reaches 5K miles based on the severe use it will receive in an RV or towing scenario.
This is my point, thank you.

Quote:
I agree that oil changes are cheap (particularly if you do them yourself) but you're throwing money out if you're changing the oil every 3K miles. That was my main point.
I think the only 3,000 mile discussion was somebodies dealer recommendation. I did say that I would prefer to change 25% early compared to 25% late.
For me, the payoff for stretching the oil change interval, compared to the cost of extra wear is not worth it, YMMV. When my pickup was new, and for the first six years of it's life, I had samples tested. For my use, of my pickup, by the time the oil has been in the engine 3 months it has collected enough moisture and other contaminates I don't want to run it at max load. Most times, my pickup does not drive 1,000 miles in a month. But, to me, the cost of changing out the "good" oil is worth it for peace of mind/engine wear. Once again YMMV.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:31 PM   #21

Hopefully you are checking your oil at EVERY fuel up.
Not uncommon to burn a qrt every 800-1,000 miles.

Stop in at the local Wal-mart in the town your at at the 5K mark - +.
Go inside buy 7 qrts (1 5qrt jug and 2 qrts) of your favorite oil and a Motorcraft oil filter.
6 for the change and an extra to carry for when you need to add some.

Stand right on the other side of the fenced off area and watch them change your oil and filter. And watch them put the oil in...
I did that several times on our travels across the states..

I know what oil I'm getting and what FILTER I'm getting.

Not getting the $1.99 POS filter jiffy lube and the like will put on and who knows what oil they put in your eng.

Back to checking your oil at EVERY fuel up, now look around and visually look and check to Windshield Washer fluid level, Power Steering Fluid level , eyeball the brake master cyl level and the rad overflow bottle level.

Now you know where the levels are BEFORE you have your oil and filter changed , so you won't be hit with more $$ from them telling you you needed this or that topped off etc.
OFDPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:45 PM   #22

I'd go the extra 1500 and do it when i get home...just make sure that your levels are good. It's not about the money...just the amount!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:32 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most ford quick lane operations are set up for e450 fleet ambulances ae450 motor home is no different
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #24

We decided we needed an oil change because of all the mountain driving, the towing of the Jeep and the substantial use of the tow haul. I had also called our Ford service manager and he also suggested not to push the 5,000 mile recommendation if it were his vehicle. We were able to make a same day appointment with Todd Hunzeker Ford in Soda Springs, Idaho and had to wait just an hour. The employees, from the service rep to the receptionist to the technician who did the work were so nice. I would highly recommend this dealership for service. I also feel great that we’ve replenished the “life’s blood” of our transportation.

Thanks for all the responses.

Mark
Old 08-14-2018, 07:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFDPOS View Post
Hopefully you are checking your oil at EVERY fuel up.
Not uncommon to burn a qrt every 800-1,000 miles.

Stop in at the local Wal-mart in the town your at at the 5K mark - +.
Go inside buy 7 qrts (1 5qrt jug and 2 qrts) of your favorite oil and a Motorcraft oil filter.
6 for the change and an extra to carry for when you need to add some.

Stand right on the other side of the fenced off area and watch them change your oil and filter. And watch them put the oil in...
I did that several times on our travels across the states..

I know what oil I'm getting and what FILTER I'm getting.

Not getting the $1.99 POS filter jiffy lube and the like will put on and who knows what oil they put in your eng.

Back to checking your oil at EVERY fuel up, now look around and visually look and check to Windshield Washer fluid level, Power Steering Fluid level , eyeball the brake master cyl level and the rad overflow bottle level.

Now you know where the levels are BEFORE you have your oil and filter changed , so you won't be hit with more $$ from them telling you you needed this or that topped off etc.
If your using a quart of oil every 1000 miles, you can extend the change interval, since your changing it on the go. At that burn rate, you need a rebuild anyway.

Modern engines, in good working order, don't burn that kind of oil.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:51 PM   #26

Twinboat

Mine actually uses a qrt every 1500 miles.
Mine falls under this Ford TSB 13-6-9

Saying that I'll add a qrt every 1500 miles until (if) it gets bad enough to start fouling spark plugs . Its aprrox $3k + to hopefully fix the oil consumption / burning...

Once again karma has bit me,, and proved my point about ford yet again ,,, I NEVER have liked ford...... And have let it been known.
OFDPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:52 AM   #27

I am sure you won't kill your rig if you extend the range a bit.
ej1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddndee View Post
I had my last oil change done at a local Jiffy Lube... less than hour. Further, I wouldn’t worry about meeting a 5000 mile deadline. 6500 miles will probably be of no consequence unless you are driving 6500 miles of stop and go city driving. Just my opinion.
I suggest you follow Fords recommendation as to oil change intervals. For the 2016 F450 chassis the oil change interval is six months or 7,500 miles (whichever comes first) unless you fall under the "Special Operating Conditions".

Here's a link to the 2016 Ford E450 owners manual:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_10_2015.pdf

The recommended oil is a synthetic blend: "Recommended motor oil (U.S.): Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil XO-5W30-QSP"

You can use full synthetic, but according to the Ford it has to be changed at the specified interval of 7,500 miles or six months to maintain the warranty. If there are engine problems under the warranty period the first thing Ford will ask for is the maintenance records.

Once it's out of warranty you can do as you please. However even then if there is a problem and you ask Ford for assistance again the first thing they will ask for is maintenance records.

I have personally seen warranty claims denied because the owner exceeded oil change interval times and mileage.