Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2014, 09:41 PM   #1

Oil Changes

Hi I am going on my first long trip with my Class C with Ford V10.Where do you guys go for oil changes on the road. Thank you
Hardfiskur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How long of a trip are you talking about??

When we make a long trip I change the oil before we leave and wait until we get back to change it again. I use synthetic Mobil 1 High Mileage oil.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:44 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I went to a Ford dealer when I was on my Trip from WA state to Ohio and had to change for extended warranty to stay valid.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:48 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you install a Futomo valve, it makes the task very easy. With the valve you drain the oil through a plastic tube or directly into an old container. Recycle the used oil after back to Walmart. Punching a hole in the bottom of the filter makes it less messy taking it off. Most camp spots do not allow you to change your oil.
I normally do a search for RV oil changes where I am and look the places up, or have asked the campground mangers/owners who they recommend locally. Garages have done it out front in their parking lot, as there is alot of room to get under.
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #5

Wink

If your trip is long enough to warrant an oil change before you return home look for oil change/tire shops that have a pit. Not many will have a bay large/tall enough to accommodate a motorhome. Avoid the Ford dealers like the plague unless you have a lot of extra money you would like to part with.

Be sure and use 5W20 for the V-10 and I am a big fan of going pure synthetic. if you do, 7,500 miles is a reasonable interval between changes, blended synthetic's should go about 5,000 miles and Dino oil 3,000 to 4,000 depending on how and where you drive. Knock those numbers back a little if you tow.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #6

I agree with changing oil before trip and when I return. I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30 in my V-10. Try to change the oil between 4-5000 miles. But if I am on a long trip, I have the margin of safety in the synthetic going the extra miles. As far as changing the oil, I purchase the oil and Motorcraft filter at Walmart, and can usually find a service station to change the oil and grease it. Normally about one half hour label charge. Mechanic just slides under with an oil drop pan, drains the oil, replaces the filter, greases the fittings, and adds my oil up top.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #7

A Canadian friend of mine rides all over the US on his bike. He changes the oil in a Walmart parking lot. He gets a cheap aluminum turkey roasting pan and draines the oil into it. Them puts the oil into the bike. Then refiles the empty oil containers with the old oil. Then brings it to the auto part and has it recycled. Same principle for any other type of vehicle I would think. Just depends how important saving a few $$$ is to ya.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
If you install a Futomo valve, it makes the task very easy. With the valve you drain the oil through a plastic tube or directly into an old container. Recycle the used oil after back to Walmart. Punching a hole in the bottom of the filter makes it less messy taking it off. Most camp spots do not allow you to change your oil.
I normally do a search for RV oil changes where I am and look the places up, or have asked the campground mangers/owners who they recommend locally. Garages have done it out front in their parking lot, as there is alot of room to get under.
I also have the Fumoto valve (Fumoto USA | Quick and Easy Engine Oil Drain Valves) installed to make it easier to change the oil.

Instead of poking a hole in the filter use a 2 liter plastic soda bottle with the top cut off to fit over the filter after loosening it so you won't spill any oil when you remove it.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote