Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
OK got the Jeep Wrangler, now what tow setup is best?

There are so many choices
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #2

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

With my Jeep, 2008 4dr 4w/d, I use all roadmaster tow gear. sterling all terrain Tow bar and base plate. I use a, can't remember the name, rock guard that stretches between the rear of motor home (attaches to tow bar stinger) and front of the Jeep (attaches to base plate). I can hook everything up or disassemble in less than 5 minutes. I use an M&G brake system on the Jeep with the break a way feature.
What year is your Jeep?
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:06 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' View Post
With my Jeep, 2008 4dr 4w/d, I use all roadmaster tow gear. sterling all terrain Tow bar and base plate. I use a, can't remember the name, rock guard that stretches between the rear of motor home (attaches to tow bar stinger) and front of the Jeep (attaches to base plate). I can hook everything up or disassemble in less than 5 minutes. I use an M&G brake system on the Jeep with the break a way feature.
What year is your Jeep?
Mine is a 2011 Wrangler Sahara unlimited.
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #4

I'm jealous! . They have 0%financing on wranglers right now if anyone is so inclined.
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:48 AM   #5

Blue OX with all four down.
Mvlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have towed either a Jeep Grand Cherokee or a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for nine years now. We used the Roadmaster base plate and cross bar on all of them. In addition to the ruggedness, flexibility, and ease of use I like the fact that the higher, front mounted brackets on the Jeep are almost perfectly parallel with the hitch on the motorhome(s). This provide for little or no angle(s) at the connecting points on both the motorhome and the towed vehicle. We have use the Sterling all terrain towbar for years now; we just had it completely rebuilt (factory) for about $600 and we'll continue to use it for years I imagine.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #7

You don't need anything special or pricey to tow your Wrangler. I reinforced the stock front bumper and am using a Reese tow bar with ReadyBrake and break away. Less than $600..........

Mark
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Ck these folks out....easy wire kit! Cool Tech LLC. JK Tow Harness Kit
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
my hybrid wrangler towing solution

I bought BlueOx Baseplate and a used Roadmaster Towbar. It was a matter of pricing (was able to buy the towbar used from a trusted source and stuff I was reading leaned toward BlueOx so went that route) Got a used Roadmaster brake device, its an annoyance to install/remove/store in the small area the Wrangler has for it. If I ever buy another, I'd look harder at those much smaller brake devices.

My set-up on my Class-C the towbar is almost perfectly level without adapters (slightly, like 2" higher on the side it was supposed to be higher on, can't recall if that was Toad or RV side)

This stuff is all insanely expensive and I shopped a lot.

Its also very heavy and awkward, I'm in pretty good shape for 56, I have no idea how I will wrestle this towbar on and off the RV 10 years from now ... oh wait, that is why I had them kids!

I paid for baseplate to be installed, watched them, it was very simple on the Wrangler, I should have done it myself.

What else ...

OH, the Wrangler Owners Manual lies (at least for my 2010 model), you
will not need to tow it with the key installed, there is no steering wheel lock after like 2009. That also means you have to consider electric differently than many posts suggest since you don't need to disconnect the battery.

I still don't have what I consider ideal Toad lighting. Using magnetic lites until I find something I totally like or the warrantee runs out. Web searches always seem to end with Cool Tech ... the electrical on Wranglers is some new fangled bus bar (new to me) and I just don't want to chance hozing my warrantee. I'm hoping to run into someone who has
something I like .. picture is worth 1000 words to me
Old 08-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use M&G Brake. Plug in Airline and elect and go.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Also not pointed out is make sure with a class C that you can tow the Wrangler within weight limits and you hitch is rated high enough.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
See my signature. It does well. Also have a Blueox BX1126 baseplate I installed myself, it was that difficult. Also the break away system. Sits perfectly level with the motohome hitch. I was about 2 inches low (which is within specs of the Ready Brute) but I also installed a Teraflex Leveling kit and a little bit larger tires. Check out jk-forum.com for all things Jeep. Congrats!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	13491  
CbtEngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 32' Class A (fleetwood) has a 5k towing maximum. Can the 4dr be towed with it? I love that vehicle! Test drove a 2008 the other day, and really liked it, but I wasn't sure if the weight was just too much (do I have to include the tow bar weight?)
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the same weight limit. I do believe you have to include the weight of the tow bar for you GCVWR. My ready bute comes in around 40 lbs. You shouldn't have any issues. You just have to be careful of what options you get on your tow vehicle (I really should go get mine weighed). I went with the bare bones model...the Sport Unlimited. The only option was gears. I think it comes in around 3800-4200 lbs, not sure with any other year but if you check out the Motorhome magazine dighney guide it should tell you. Go to Dinghy Towing and Dinghy Guide and look in the top right hand corner. There is a list of different years. Download the .pdf to see the specifics. With my picture above I've probably added 300lbs in tires and a new bumper and winch.
CbtEngr is offline   Reply With Quote