Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-02-2015, 11:51 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Old Class C or should I upgrade to a newer model?

My wife and I are the owners of a 1988 Fleetwood Jamboree that we purchase August 2014. Some work was required, the roof leaked, thermostat did not work, so of course we had a break down because of that. Since that repair really haven't taking the RV out until today. Took a little trip approximately 106 miles round trip. On flat surface, RV ran great, going up hills, now that was a problem. Cruise Control kicked off, RPM took a nose dive down to maybe 40 to 45 mph, engine oil temp gauge started to peek toward the High/Hot side. I have been told on numerous occasions that that is normal, that is just how the old Ford 460 7.5 liter engine operates. Without the luxury of overdrive, the engine tends to work harder and runs hot going up hills, again I was told that is the norm. I have been told by many I should have gotten a newer model with a V10 engine. Opinions please ?

jaydar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 11:59 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nothing wrong with a 460 if it's in good shape. Maybe you need to check the radiator and oil cooler. We had a '98 35' Santara with the 460 and, while it didn't get very good mileage there was nothing inherently wrong with the engine.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:02 AM   #3
As far as the cruise control, kicking out at 45, that seem normal . My 1999 V 10 MH does the same thing, as did my 86 Bronco, while towing.

Overdrive does not make it any easier on the engine, just as much work at a lower RPM. As soon as I start up a hill, it drops out of OD anyway.

You may need a cooling system flush, if it's been a while. My engine temp stays about the same, just roars when the fan kicks in.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:10 AM   #4
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree - Check cooling system and oil cooler, clean the front, look for bugs and bird nests in radiator. good cooling system flushing may be in order.

Downshift on those long upgrades and slow down.

The Cruise control usually kicks out when the gas pedal is on the floor and no engine vacuum is produced.
2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:33 AM   #5
You do have an engine problem. When engines get HOT they loose some power. Hopefully you checked the engine oil. Something I would do is remove the radiator cap & start the MH. When temperature gauge gets to half way check the radiator for fluid flow. Gauge gets above half & you can't see the fluid circulating you probably have a bad thermostat. But could be a bad radiator also. Hopefully you checked & no hoses are leaking.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:15 AM   #6
Somewhat aside, but are you getting a hot right foot--down where your foot rests against the doghouse? Our '97 Georgy Boy had the 460 V8. I replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets three times (a real pain) and then found a fantastic trade for a class A.
Stopped in at the dealer the following spring and found out the new owners had BIG problem with the engine. The exhaust manifold bolts had stripped out of the heads! Someone prior to us had tried to weld the studs inplace. A definite no-no seeing as how the studs are steel and the heads are cast iron. Not compatible for welding together. According to the service manager these heads are special for RVs and they had to search all over the U.S. for replacements.
If you feel a hot foot--TRADE IT.
Also, our MPG had gone down to 4.5

NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote

class c, upgrade