Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #1

Old school leveling tips

Brand spanking new Class C - my first w/o auto(or manual) levelers. I am sure you guys have some tips for me. I have owned a TT previously which wasn't too challenging to level as you had an axis to help with front to back.

So first of off, I have a bubble level that I have now with a couple of stick on levels for the coach too. However, I am not sure where to put them. Front middle, back middle? Or does it really matter for left to right as long as you put them on when it is level? Then what about front to back? Front of coach, back, middle?

Then since I have one axel in the back with 2 tires. Do I put the blocks under each tire? Or just one?

And what about the front - Seems to me the suspension may or may not take some of the intent of putting a block under?

And also do you find yourself putting more blocks that what I might have used for my TT? I have one set - might I need another.

I am taking my first trip to the local state park on Thursday and trying to get a few pointers to help speed up the process.

Waiting to hear from you guys - thanks in advance.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #2

Old school leveling tips

Congrats on the new C.

1. Load it with all the items you intend to travel with (not food or such).

2. Drive it to a level surface.

3. Check the level in the freezer and stove; then check the floor. If all are very close to the same reading than I use two small levels that I stick to the outside driver side for the left-to-right level near the bottom trim and immediately around from it on the driver side of the coach for the front to back. This gives you an easy eyeball once on the site.

4. You need to move the coach on the site to get as level as possible.

5. Always put leveling blocks under both wheels. I use the plastic lego kind, but many just us 2 x 6s. In any case, the idea is to get as level as possible.

You will still rock when someone walks but that is the nature of the coach without levelers.

Good luck.
tgdameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgdameron View Post
Congrats on the new C.

3. Check the level in the freezer and stove; then check the floor. If all are very close to the same reading than I use two small levels that I stick to the outside driver side for the left-to-right level near the bottom trim and immediately around from it on the driver side of the coach for the front to back. This gives you an easy eyeball once on the site.

5. Always put leveling blocks under both wheels. I use the plastic lego kind, but many just us 2 x 6s. In any case, the idea is to get as level as possible.

You will still rock when someone walks but that is the nature of the coach without levelers.

Good luck.
Cool - that makes the most sense. By the drivers door...dughhh...I have the legos from my TT...yea - I suspect the rocking won't be too bad until we the grand munchkins come with us. Thanks for the great tips.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
put my l-r right outside drv door F-B on drv side abt in middle of house
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with all here. I had a TT and I know what you mean, easy to level. Then I had a class C. I used 2x6 and 2x12. Important to put them under both rear duals. 2x6 on the front if necessary. I used oak instead of pine as the pine may split, I had that happen. Carry extras if you have room. Just get as level as you can, no need to be perfect. I never had any problems with refrig not working.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I have seen some people build some nice 2x6 drive on ramps that have 3 or 4 height options.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #7

For the front I use drive on ramps and the legos for the back. I just take a torpedo level and place it on the countertop and the floor to see where I need to level. Most times I can eyeball it pretty close.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgdameron View Post
Congrats on the new C.

Good luck.
Exactly what we always did when we had our Class C. Just stick the levels where you can see them when you are parking. I had one to my left on the door and another right in front on the dash for side to side. Sometimes just moving the coach a bit can help achieve level without any blocks or wood.
rumrunnerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
You can add an auto leveling system like I did...

Davinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Stove Top

I try and use the stove top for level. Either with a small level or by putting skillet on top with a small amount of water in it. When stove top is level, I am good to go. Also put the small sticky levels on dash in front of driver, so I can see where level is from drivers seat. That helps when moving around camp site looking for level. Hope this helps.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
I have a bubble level that I have now with a couple of stick on levels for the coach too. However, I am not sure where to put them. Front middle, back middle?

Then since I have one axel in the back with 2 tires. Do I put the blocks under each tire? Or just one?

And what about the front - Seems to me the suspension may or may not take some of the intent of putting a block under?

Waiting to hear from you guys - thanks in advance.
cmalberto
I have bubble levels mounted so I can see both the side to side and front to back level were I can see them from the drivers seat while parking or leveling with my hydraulic controls.

Level the refrigerator, which is the most critical, then attach put them on when it is level.

Always block both duals on one side equally to prevent one overloading one tire.

I don't undrstand the "what about the front - Seems to me the suspension may or may not take some of the intent of putting a block under" question.
Blocks under the front tires will lift the front if it is low, (the suspension has little do with leveling with blocks}.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
I try and use the stove top for level. Either with a small level or by putting skillet on top with a small amount of water in it. When stove top is level, I am good to go. Also put the small sticky levels on dash in front of driver, so I can see where level is from drivers seat. That helps when moving around camp site looking for level. Hope this helps.

ronspradley
What a great idea....I could put some temp small levels inside by the driver side to a quick spot check of what needs to be done. The stove idea is good too.

I put 2 on the outside drivers side yesterday with double stick adhesive. My driveway was pretty level, confirmed with bubble level in various places in the MH. Didn't try in the fridge or stove. Gotta be pretty dern close.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
I don't undrstand the "what about the front - Seems to me the suspension may or may not take some of the intent of putting a block under" question.
Blocks under the front tires will lift the front if it is low, (the suspension has little do with leveling with blocks}.
I was trying to bring the right front up some so I put blocks under that wheel. I just seemed that the suspension absorbed most of the first block without actually raising that side. Had to put a second one to get the bubble to move it seemed. That is all I was trying to say.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post

ronspradley
When the stove top is level you may not be "good to go"!

Many/(most?) RV stove tops, (as well as, counter tops, tables and floors), are not necessarily level when the refrigerator is level.
As I said earlier, the level of the refrigerator is the most critical.
Attach bubble levels when the fridge is level.

See "Simple Steps to Leveling Your RV":
Keeping It On the Level

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling