Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #15

Great information, Michelle. I loved the pics on your site and the info. about what you liked about the floorplan. (I don't think this will happen in a class C BUT I wish the window in the bedroom was not the bed's "headboard".
Michelle: do you drive your Class A? I've gone back and forth on that too...basically a C is likely to be the same width as an A but for some reason, I'm thinking the A might intimidate me. I've driven trucks, straight drives, motorcycles, pulled trailers, etc but for some reason, I'm worried about the A. I just need to drive one to see. Keeping my options open as I search/research.
BTW, I have two dogs and I know one is gonna be mighty disappointed if I end up with a small bed cuz he's gonna go back to a doggy bed with the other dog. Noticed yours "took to" your rv bed right off.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #16

Glad it was helpful

Hi Abby,

I'm glad the info. was helpful. When I was getting my RV I had forgotten all about sales tax etc. so was very glad I hadn't bought a I higher priced unit.

In terms of A vs. C we went with an A for the simple reason that I do not fit in the passenger seat of a gas C. My feet are too big for the foot well with the engine pushed so far over and I'm too tall, so end up sitting at a crushed angle. Diesel Cs were comfortable but hard to come by in our area, although I did keep an eye out for them. A's on the other hand were supremely comfortable. Big giant captains chairs with tons of foot room. Blossom can even sit on the floor by my feet and look out.

In terms of driving an A we learned on the test drives. At first we were both uncomfortable but then after getting some tips from one of the new RV dealers I found it quite easy. However I was adamant about not getting a wide body. Besides the legal issue of driving it on smaller roads, I just wasn't comfortable with it. And I was very glad to not have one on this most recent trip to Yellowstone. It seemed like 50% of the traffic coming the other direction was over the yellow line. Not just motor homes but pick-up trucks, SUVs and vehicles towing things. It was scary as heck! I hugged my white line as much as I could but there was almost no shoulder, just a few inches in some place and none in others.

For some reason folks were racing through Yellowstone and were going much too fast for their vehicles to stay within their lane for the speed they were going so they were purposely cutting all the corners. In my normal car this wouldn't have bothered me much since there would have been room, but in an RV I took of most of my lane so there was no room for them to be there too.

If it is just you and the dogs there are corner bed class As that are about 25 ft long. We couldn't use this size since were both tall and one person would have been trapped on the bed at night by the other. However they are pretty easy to drive and park. We find even with our 30 ft class A we can park in two spaces across which opens up our options at stores and such.

I also hate the window being the headboard. I have to wear a knit cap at night as it is too cold. In addition one of us invariably hits the metal mini-blinds causing them to clank.

Good luck! I'm happy to answer questions if there is anything you think I can help with.

Michelle

micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Abby, Have you looked at King RV Wholesales? You really need to do your homework, but there are deals to be found there. I looked for about a year, found and bought my RV from them. They are very good to work with. Since you are in Virginia thought you might want to check them out. here is a link. http://commonwealthboatbrokers.com/vehicles.asp?vt=RV I have no other connection with them, execpt for the purchase of my coach from them. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkersRanch View Post
Abby, Have you looked at King RV Wholesales? You really need to do your homework, but there are deals to be found there. I looked for about a year, found and bought my RV from them. They are very good to work with. Since you are in Virginia thought you might want to check them out. here is a link. http://commonwealthboatbrokers.com/vehicles.asp?vt=RV I have no other connection with them, execpt for the purchase of my coach from them. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

I didn't know about them so have added them to my favorites and will check regularly. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2010, 07:02 AM   #19

Thanks, Michelle for help and offer of future help. Maybe the advent of slides will reduce number of wide bodies? Once in past, I was looking at width of one (without considering mirrors) and thinking about standard lane width. Looked like 6" clearance on either side. Can't imagine that!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #20

Might want to consider getting the consumer group package

Abby,

I forgot to mention that you might want to consider getting the RV Consumer Group package which rates RVs.

RV Ratings for motorhomes, fifth wheels, trailers, toy haulers.

It seems like alot of money at about $150 but considering that you could be saving yourself some big $s if you choose a good quality unit over a poor quality one it is well worth it. We bought it and learned quite a bit. It had me looking at some manufacturers that I had never heard of but that were very good quality.

Unfortunately a high rated unit in the size we wanted did not come on the market while we were looking and so we bought the Brave which had a low highway control rating. I'm paying for it now by all the suspension work I'm doing along with the expected suspension add-ons to stabilize the ride.

I highly suggest you take the plunge as it takes about a week to come and then another couple of weeks to digest the material. I also thought the included book "How to Select, Inspect, and Buy an RV" was very helpful.

Regards,
Michelle

micd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, cruise america, high mileage, rallies