Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-07-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
Onan fuel pump replacement

2003 Trail Riter 20 ft. We need to replace the fuel pump and filter . I found videos on youtube which support the idea that fuel pump is the culprit. And the repair seems simple ... BUT . . the access on this RV is very small. Only about 8 inches tall .. At first look. ,, it seems to be pretty tight to work in. Anyone have experience with this model ?

homey1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #2
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just replaced the fuel pump, filter, air filter and spark plug on my Onan 4k

Onan Microquiet 4k Tuneup | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:43 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

You didn't mention what Onan generator you're talking about. Rather than just replace parts, I like to make sure the original part is faulty. Have you done a test of the pump to see if it's pumping the proper volume of gas per minute?

Many generator issues require pulling the generator out of the RV to access easily. You'll have to determine if it's a faster to work in place or pull the generator.

I worked for many years on air cooled VW engines, often step one was, "remove engine."

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #4
Microquiet 4000 .. And hoping someone had an RV with the same layout and experience. I fully intend to test before replacing. The main issue I can see at first look is the very small opening to access the generator. It a door about 8 inches tall by about 2 feet wide. Does not appear to give me a very large area to work in. Also have no clue how you would go about removing the unit entirely. Pretty sure when we put it up on jacks for a better view it will help ... Just hoping someone had seen the same problem and repair procedure. ( BTW .. new to RV world.. but do my own repair to just about everything else )
Old 07-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fuel pump issues on the onan tend to be less than black and white - especially when it involves shutting down at temperature. I've got no experience on that particular trailer, but in others where space was tight, I've had to drop the genset down (on a ATV lift). Look at it from the under-side see if you have more room that way.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:04 PM   #6
RE: Onan fuel pump/filter replacement...

Access on my 2006 Itasca Cambria was also thru an outside door ~8" x 28", and it becomes easier toward on after you remove the gen cover & the restraint on the outside door. On mine, the fuel pump/filter combo was reachable after I unplugged & removed the circuit board, starter relay/solenoid & moved the + battery lead out of the way. Pump & filter hold-downs were removed, fuel line disconnected & plugged, then assembly removed from MH. Reverse was easier - after I obtained the correct Onan part(s) !
zooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Onan fuel pump replacement

HI, homey1884-

Have you viewed the youtube videos on this subject? I found them to be very helpful......but my access was just like the youtube examples- - - seems yours may be even tighter.

As cb1000rider noted....there evidently isn't a "one size fits all" type approach to this task.

FWIW- the Airtex elec pump and Onan filter were about $50 on Amazon.

FWIW #2- The youtube tip on using a drill bit shank as a plug for the fuel line underneath the genny was a good tip. I sort of force-fit a 5/16 drill bit shank into the 1/4-in hose and no clamp was needed while I did the replacement work above....no leakage whatever.

Took about 2 hours, but I was lucky....the hold-down screw for the filter was a # 27 torx in my case; and that really made the removal of that screw a "piece of cake". Others have said it is a real bear ...... probably its often a phillips that wants to "cam out" as you loosen it maybe?

At any rate....... good luck. My Microquiet 4000 would run 20 minutes and quit. The pump and filter absolutely fixed that. Just as a data point: the pump was original and had 360 hours on it

Safe travels.............. ed s
Ed Sievers, Denver, CO
07 WGO 31ft Class C Toad: '16 Soul with 6-spd DIY
If at 1st you don't succeed, you probably shouldn't try skydiving
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:08 AM   #8
Thanks for the replies. . Exactly what I was looking for ... Real world experience ...Works every time . .
Old 07-19-2016, 08:22 PM   #9
Originally Posted by homey1884 View Post
Thanks for the replies. . Exactly what I was looking for ... Real world experience ...Works every time . .
Hi There,
I replaced the pump and filter on my 94 Tioga. It is a very tight space to work in but with a little time and patience it can be done. Video Here.

Good Luck!

Jay & Jazz ~ Along The Way With J&J
1994 Tioga - Massachusetts
Follow Us! > Our Blog - YouTube - Twitter - FaceBook
jason1029 is offline   Reply With Quote

ace, fuel, onan, replace, replacement