Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2015, 09:33 AM   #1

Onboard generator

I plan on dry camping for a few days and using my Onan on board generator. Any tips on when to use it and how long to run it to charge my battery's
mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 01:25 PM   #2

Run it as soon as quiet hours are up to charge your battery up. Depending on how many batteries you have, their size, and the discharge state on them it could take anywhere from an hour to a few.

Before quiet hours begin in the evening, run the genny again to top off your batteries before you go to sleep. This is especially critical if you're camping somewhere cold and plan on using the furnace. Not so much in the summer since not much is pulling a heavy draw when its lights out and no furnace.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A couple hours in the morning while preparing breakfast and again in the evening when preparing supper will usually do it.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #4

I don't have to start the motorhome to run the generator? I can just run the generator?
mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #5

You are correct.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mano View Post
I don't have to start the motorhome to run the generator? I can just run the generator?
Assuming that your coach battery is not completely dead. If it is, then you need to start the engine to have enough power to start the generator. Then you can shut the RV engine off.
Jscott1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:20 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When.. Well there is a radio station in Detroit (WRCJfm) and they broadcast Classical Music 7am to 7pm.. use it when they are classical.

(most parks have quiet hours.. Do not use it during quite hours.. Generally 7a-7p is ok Generally quiet hours are lik1 10 P to 6 or 7a.)

How long to run: Depends on size of battery bank, Size of converter and state of charge when you take your finger off the START button.

Thus I can not really answer, but try this,, Multiple converter rating by 90% (0.75) Multiply battery amp-hour (C/20 method) capacity by state of DISCHARGE (That's 100-state of charge so if 75% (state of charge that would be 25%) Divide second result by first
This is the number of hours to near full.

Add 2 hours

Why the math: Well the (State of charge * Amp hours)/charge rage should be obvious.. Why de-rate the converter 25%? Most of them taper off as the batteries fill so you never get full output.

IF your battery bank and converter are perfectly matched and your batteries are at half full six hours should be your result.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #8

We do a little more like breakfast lunch then dinned but also if you have neighbors don't be afraid to coordianate with them.

Over the 4th a couple a little ways away was swapping batteries and such. I ran a cord to theirs and only had enough power for the basics and to charge their 2 batteries, then I showed them my 200 watts on the roof that really keeps things going. Made some great friends over the next 3 days and now they have 300 watts on their roof charging all the batteries they used to keep kept swapping out. They take the 4 batteries they used to carry in the back of the truck and put them in a box on the ground and have a 60 amp DC plug that plugs into their trailer.They just needed that little nudge. Real happy campers now.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #9

An exhaust extension would be a good idea to keep the fumes out of the coach.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator