Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2019, 06:15 AM   #1

One Wheel Off

With duallies, when on leveling blocks, if one wheel is suspended in mid air, will that hurt anything? The leveling blocks fix the outer wheel, but aren't large enough to support the inside tire.
BeckyFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2019, 06:22 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
If I was going to do it I would support the inner tire. Less stress on the axle and bearings.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:33 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
When driving down the road at 60 mph and hitting a large pothole, think of the force on the tire and bearings. Supporting the static weight on the tire is nothing compared with the pothole. I had plenty of customers who did this (including me on my first and second motorhome) and no one ever had a problem.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:43 AM   #4

I look at this question a little differently. The duel tires are on the rear axle for a reason. One tire is not sufficient to hold the weight, and two are used to distribute the weight evenly. By having only one tire supported, all the axle weight is on that one tire.

I would bet if you asked the manufacturer of you tires this question, you would get an answer indicating all tires should be supported.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:46 AM   #5

The official position on this is to ramp-up both tires. But I personally ramp up just the outer tire. If staying for a long time, I ramp up the pair as long as I have enough Lynx blocks.

Some years back, I called the Michelin tire company with your question. The technical hotline told me to ramp-up both rear tires.

But then I asked a second question.

The street in front of my house has a dip along the curb, an integrated rain gutter. When I park our rig against the curb, the outer tire is suspended over the rain gutter. How should I handle it? He told me not to worry, let the outer tire hang over the rain gutter. Then I asked what is the difference between the ramp-up and rain-gutter condition? He admitted there is no difference.

So after that call, I felt better ramping up just one of the pair, but specifically the outer tire. Most tire blow-outs are the inner tire so I protect that one.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:47 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Best practice is to support both dual tires. I carry appropriate blocks to do this.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:41 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You can easily buy double sized lego blocks for leveling. Amazing, they can support both tires. Camco 44515s should do the trick for you. They also can be used to make nice ramps for leveling the front as well.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I look at this question a little differently. The duel tires are on the rear axle for a reason. One tire is not sufficient to hold the weight, and two are used to distribute the weight evenly. By having only one tire supported, all the axle weight is on that one tire.

I would bet if you asked the manufacturer of you tires this question, you would get an answer indicating all tires should be supported.
The axle weight is not on the tire. The tire weight is on the axle and is a very small fraction of the stress that axle is designed to endure. Lots of fretting about a non-problem
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
The official position on this is to ramp-up both tires. But I personally ramp up just the outer tire. If staying for a long time, I ramp up the pair as long as I have enough Lynx blocks.

Some years back, I called the Michelin tire company with your question. The technical hotline told me to ramp-up both rear tires.

But then I asked a second question.

The street in front of my house has a dip along the curb, an integrated rain gutter. When I park our rig against the curb, the outer tire is suspended over the rain gutter. How should I handle it? He told me not to worry, let the outer tire hang over the rain gutter. Then I asked what is the difference between the ramp-up and rain-gutter condition? He admitted there is no difference.

So after that call, I felt better ramping up just one of the pair, but specifically the outer tire. Most tire blow-outs are the inner tire so I protect that one.
Ha-ha, tricky. Dig it. What I hear from that conversation is that the support person didn't know either way. So if you followed your bs detector, you would be right back where you started before the call.

I think one approach to determine if it is ok to use just one wheel is to look-up the load rating of one rim and tire and compare that to the load of that side. Driving on a scale would probably get you a close enough load reading.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #10
LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginomad View Post
Ha-ha, tricky. Dig it. What I hear from that conversation is that the support person didn't know either way. So if you followed your bs detector, you would be right back where you started before the call.

I think one approach to determine if it is ok to use just one wheel is to look-up the load rating of one rim and tire and compare that to the load of that side. Driving on a scale would probably get you a close enough load reading.
I think that if someone actually did that they would find out why motorhomes have four tires on the rear axle. That is just a nice way to say that it is obvious that if both tires need to be on the ground underway, that both need to be supported when parked. I am dumbfounded how anyone could possibly think it would be any other way.
LOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:38 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOG View Post
I think that if someone actually did that they would find out why motorhomes have four tires on the rear axle. That is just a nice way to say that it is obvious that if both tires need to be on the ground underway, that both need to be supported when parked. I am dumbfounded how anyone could possibly think it would be any other way.
I am not advocating one method vs the other but rolling down the road with heat, potholes, pressures of making turns, accelerating, decelerating ..... is a totally different scenario than sitting static on a block.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #12
LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
I am not advocating one method vs the other but rolling down the road with heat, potholes, pressures of making turns, accelerating, decelerating ..... is a totally different scenario than sitting static on a block.
Why is it that jack and jack stand manufactures suggest that jacks and jack stands should support the full load. Even though the load is static?
LOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:52 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOG View Post
Why is it that jack and jack stand manufactures suggest that jacks and jack stands should support the full load. Even though the load is static?
Lawyers, I also have no idea how that has any relevance here. If you don't want to do it don't do it. Keep in mind I am not advocating doing it. I am just saying sitting still and rolling down the road are not comparable scenarios. You said you didn't understand how people could consider it, I'm telling you why.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyFe View Post
With duallies, when on leveling blocks, if one wheel is suspended in mid air, will that hurt anything? The leveling blocks fix the outer wheel, but aren't large enough to support the inside tire.

How much weight are we talking? If your dually axle is maxed out, it's probably not a good ideal to put all the weight on one tire. If this is a empty pickup dually axle for example, then no problem with the one tire being on a block with the other tire suspended.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote