Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
One Year with our Four Winds 35SK Motor home

One Year with our 2014 Thor/Four Winds 35SK Motor home

My wife and I bought a new 2014 Four Winds 35 SK one year ago. We now have over 12,000 miles on it and have lived and traveled in it for over 6 months. We are very pleased with our motor home. The floor plan and power plant were just what we had been looking for. Yes we did have some issues since the motor home did not come perfect from the factory/dealer – none of them do, no matter the manufacturer. Most issues were minor and I repaired almost all of the issues myself - both at home and on the road. We are both seniors but of sound mind and body (most of the time). I have attached a list of the bigger annoying issues we had. We had no issues that shut us down or prevented our use of the vehicle. Minor issues included adjustments to drawer latches and slides and fixing drips in drain pipe fittings. I travel with basic tools and an electric drill and drill bits.

Keep in mind that this is a 19,500 lb GVWR chassis. If you want tile floors and showers, granite countertops, and top quality wood cabinets, move up to a 36 ft class A built on a 32,000 + chassis and pay at double or triple what we paid for this motor home.

This is a reasonably priced motor home that meets our needs. Fit and finish are not top-notch but are what we expected for what we paid.

Things that we really like are:
Diesel power plant (rarely downshifts or slows down on hills)
Super capacity cab AC
Ford 5 year/60,000 mile power train warranty
Virtually unaffected by side winds and buffeting from passing vehicles (really)
Fuel mileage – 10.5 MPG while towing a Honda CR-V (small SUV)
Lots of exterior storage space
Towing capacity
Stainless steel wheels with tire air fill extensions
Large residential 110 volt refrigerator (but we do very little dry camping)
Generous closets and dresser drawer space
Kitchen pantry and general storage space
Double AC’s which are relatively quiet
Overall comfort
King size walk-around bed
Solid construction with few squeaks and rattles
Quiet Onan diesel generator
Quality components (inverter, toilet, water pump, furnace, generator, leveling jacks)

Annoying Problems (the factory is aware of these issues and I expect they are resolved in current factory production)

Front diesel fuel tank filling problem (shouldn’t be a problem on any newer motor homes)

The longer window shade assemblies fall down while traveling with a large crash (solution – assure all shade assembly mounting brackets are attached to the walls with 3 screws going into wall studs)
As a side note – I would prefer to have accordion style day/night shades.

Chassis running light fuse would blow due to a short caused by a side running light wire getting pinched in a rear wheel leaf spring (cut out affected wiring, shortened wiring run to side running light)

Front mud flaps on rear wheels contact the wheel (replaced mud flaps with stiffer black ABS plastic cut to size of original mud flaps)

Sound deadening around shower water pipes fell out of position, causing quite a banging when any water faucet was operated (solved by buying 5 feet of large diameter foam pipe insulation and sliding it up over the shower pipes from the access hatch below the shower)

Refrigerator door swings open on right turns (solved by adding child proof buckle latches to outside of frig)

Needs a better solution for curtaining off the cab

Modifications We Made

Added a Vizio sound bar just below TV to improve TV sound quality
Added a three tier stand alone rack to the driver’s side rear storage compartment

Happily looking forward to more travels in our Thor/Four Winds 35SK.

jwhalen457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 06:38 PM   #2
Nice report. Thank you for sharing!

Everyone has to decide what works for them. No one has yet to reinvent the motorhome, just the cheese has been moved and painted a different color.

If you are happy, you paid the bill and that's all that matters.

Happy travels!

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2015 JAYCO 31FK

Western New York

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude, Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:54 PM   #3
Four Winds 35SK cab-to-cabover seal failure

Update. Our cab-to-cabover seal (actually just a narrow caulk bead) disintegrated at about 10,000 miles and a couple weeks after the 12 month warranty was up. The factory will not respond to my questions on a long-term fix. Anybody else have this problem? What was the long-term fix? It appears that the attachment between the cabover and the cab broke loose causing a significant gap to open which admits water, dust and bugs to the coach. I tried temporary caulking repairs while on the road but the caulk split open.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:44 PM   #4
35SK Cab Over Seal

Did you get your seal fixed? We had major issues with our SK and had Thor tear it apart to add additional screws. Let me know if you need more technical detail: SLNier@aol.com
Pawsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:53 PM   #5
35SK Cab to Cabover Seal

Originally Posted by Pawsup View Post
Did you get your seal fixed? We had major issues with our SK and had Thor tear it apart to add additional screws. Let me know if you need more technical detail: SLNier@aol.com
No fix yet. Thor/FourWinds finally responded suggesting adding more screws to screw the cabover down to the cab and they told me the caulk the factory uses. They refuse any warranty support since I noticed the problem two weeks after the 12 month warranty was up.

Did you get any warranty repairs after the 12 month warranty? Who did your repairs - a dealer or the factory?

I used Gorilla tape as a temporary repair. I am reluctant to screw the cabover down tighter to the cab. When the vehicle was new I could hear the front edge of the cabover rubbing on the cab as we drove down the road. That has stopped now because of the loosening screws and the wider gap. Also, tightening the front edge of the cabover down to the cab stresses the front cap joints to the box. I thought I would try re-caulking the, now larger, gap between the cabover and cab. If the caulk fails again due to movement between the cabover and the cab, then I am considering taping the joint with 2" Eternabond tape. I think the flexibility of the tape may accommodate some movement. I welcome your comments. Has your repair held up? How difficult was it to access the screws under the cabover bed?
Old 04-30-2016, 06:00 PM   #6
Additional Information

Because of a number of issues with our 2014 35SK Chateau out of the gate, Thor agreed to extend our basic warranty by 3 months to September 20, 2015; during this extended 3 month period we uncovered another whole set of issues with our coach to include the broken cab over seal (see my other very recent post which details the history of our coach purchase and repair issues). Many of the remaining issues were documented near the end of the warranty period but not worked on until this year.

We have had both a local RV repair shop as well as the Thor factory service center address our warranty issues. My wife and I just left the Thor factory service center a week ago where we had a final set of warranty repairs made to include our broken cab over seal.

Our cab over seal broke twice and our local RV repair shop advised us that there was something inherent in the design/how it was manufactured that kept causing the cab over to shift and break the seal; sure enough, Thor disassembled the "U" shaped area or cutout between the cab over area and the top of the truck cab and found only a couple of screws had been placed to securely fasten the cab over to the truck cab top--Thor, in turn, added a number of new screws to form a secure bond between the two and the resealed it. Thor's repair seems to be working in that I no longer hear a mild squeak while driving and the new seal is staying in tack. I would encourage you to look at these screws (or the lack thereof) as a potential root cause of the problems with your seal.

I hope this helps,

Pawsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:37 PM   #7
I too have a 2015 35SK (purchased in 2014). I Had the same cab problem and the repair required adding more screws as well. It was the second "fix" for the problem. Once at the factory and again at the dealer for repairs. I had many other issues repaired over the last two years. I had many more miles on the MH for going to get repairs than fun trips. It seems as though most all of the problems have been fixed now.

I also had the problem with filling the diesel tanks. They were fixed at the dealer by them placing zip ties to keep the vent hose higher than the fill hose. However, since they used plastic zip ties, they broke under the strain and it had to be repaired again using stronger material. Now, I don't have any trouble filling the tanks. What is now a 10-15 minuted job to fill used to take over an hour.

I hope you get the cabover fixed. I don't believe the seal between the cap and cab will ever hold until the additional fixation is added.

dnhill is offline   Reply With Quote

four winds