Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
Opinions on 2001 Fleetwood Jamboree 31W

As can be read on my other threads, we are a family of 4 looking for our first class C. We have owned an A, 5er, and TT. We have been looking at primarly later model rigs (2008+). After considering our planned uses and costs, we are thinking that an older rig, that was well kept, may be our choice.

This rig just came up for sale near me. I happen to know the sellers. It is a 2001 with a 2000 E-450 chassis, 36K miles, one original owner, stored in their own RV garage. Kept in very nice condition. Always maintained. Includes a full awning screen room and TYVEK full cover, and aftermarket 40 gal fresh water storage (not sure how/where this is mounted/located).

AS mentioned, we were considering newer models 2008+, but the cost, for something that will not be used for more than 35 days per year, just kept bothering us.

This model has the large single slide that we like and has the television at center of kitchen so both those seated at dinnette and couch can see it clearly. Other models we have seen had the TV up at the right side of cabover where only one side of the dinnette could see it and it was unviewable from the couch.

We travel with 4-5 (DW, 2 DS, 1 mini schnauzer, and on occassion, my mother). We carry the typical stuff...BBQ, Bikes, fishing gear, and may occasionally tow a 3500# 21' Pontoon boat. We will do one cross country trip (14 days) per year (hopefully Florida (Disney World) this June/July). Other trips will be local 4-5 day trips trips in CA, AZ, NV. We typicall stay at campgrounds and RV parks. Although we won;t rule out the occasional dry camp stay at a deserted beach up in Nor Cal area.

A few questions for those more experienced than me....

1. Is this RV borderline (too old of an RV) to give us at least 10 years of good service/use?

2. How will I know if this model has the problematic spark plugs I have read about?

3. Is the trans in this model a good one or did it have issues? Is it a 4 speed? Model?

4. Thoughts and recommendations on this 2001/2000 Jamboree?

5. What is a fair price for this rig?

SoCalAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You may find you're overloading that chassis. I would check the CCC rating for it.

It's not too old if it's been properly maintained, and that's not a lot of miles. The ford drivetrain is fine, just have the trans serviced, new filter and fluid. Good preventive maintenance.

Expect to spend some money on other items that wear out, like tires, batteries, and just things that are no longer working are are end of life.

For that many people my only caveat would be lack of storage and tankage with a class-c. An 'A' has more basement storage, more CCC, and more tankage. If it has a 30gl blackwater it will fill up in a day or so unless you're really careful. 40gl of water is nothing, we are careful about use on a 85 and it still runs out in a few days. For an overnighter or two dry you'll probly run out of battery power as well unless you keep everything turned off.

Test all systems and make sure everything works. If you're handy yourself they're easy to fix, but if you have to pay for everything it can get stupid expensive.

Without looking at a NADA guide or shopping that model around the country, my guess it's value is in the $20k's.

Chris & Sherry Brown - 2014 Anza Borrego Weekend Trip Report
2005 Itasca Sunrise 31W - W20 and 8.1
2015 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Toad
CJBROWN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
With out knowing why they want to sell, more important is how they maintained, oil changes, also how they drive.
Agree with the previous, expect to invest some cash yearly. My 2009, I just replaced 2 batteries, now looking for 6 tires. Hoping that will do it for the year. LOL
maxtgam is offline   Reply With Quote