Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #1

Opinions on Fleetwood Class C

I fell in love with the 31M model with the side isle. However, I have been told that Fleetwoods don't drive particularly well because of the overhang behind the rear wheels. Since I will be driving alone, I need a vehicle that I don't have to fight on the road. Before I ditch the idea of the 31M, I would like to hear from any Fleetwood owners, or maybe other makes that have similar setups.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 10:31 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had a 2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 28y for 18 months. We put 28000 miles on it, from FL to Alaska and back, then to CA and back. Drove fine, like all the other Ford E450s. Take it for a test drive if you doubt.

krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivanj View Post
Take it for a test drive if you doubt.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:22 PM   #4

We bought that one in July of last year and taken it on longer drive and dry camping. The drive was good, we never had any problems. My wife never would drive the truck and fithwheel but this she drives. I do thing air bag in the back will help, so that is the only thing I think will be installed. Not say it required but talking to others on here will be doing as soon as the weathers allows. But we love it best thing yet! Not to big but and not to small!
Old 01-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #5

Had FW 31' and no problem. Now 31" Itasco and no problem. Passing trucks just give a shiver. No more then my PU. Thats 31 feet, not inches. OOPS
Old 01-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Drives fine, however I did put thicker sway bars on front and rear. Replaced shocks too, with Bilsteins, but that just made the ride rougher vs somewhat softer ride with stock shock when carrying light load. Bilsteins work when loaded heavier to near max.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #7

Thank you for the feedback guys. I got some advice earlier about an RV boot camp or driving school, which sounds like a really good idea. I'm glad to know, however, that the Fleetwood of my dreams, is still an option.
Scarlett
Old 01-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Scarlett--Fleetwood builds a quality RV and their customer service is terrific. If you need to ask about a feature or to get electrical diagrams, etc. they are very responsive. I love the layout of the 31M and we came very close to buying one a couple of years ago. (Then we saw the Bounder and decided to go with the Class A.) Good luck with your choice.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Scarlett--Fleetwood builds a quality RV and their customer service is terrific. If you need to ask about a feature or to get electrical diagrams, etc. they are very responsive. I love the layout of the 31M and we came very close to buying one a couple of years ago. (Then we saw the Bounder and decided to go with the Class A.) Good luck with your choice.
X2, I like the one I own.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #10

Consider air bags on the rear. Fleetwoods drive just like every other make.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:56 PM   #11

Added helwig sway bars and air bags front and rear. Drives nice and flat in all conditions. Love the 31m. Mine is for sale for other personal reasons. Nothing to do with the FW 31M. It is on the Irv2 classifieds.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #12

Thanks, I'll check it out. So far, it' the only model I really like.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyscarlett View Post
Thanks, I'll check it out. So far, it' the only model I really like.
The large bathroom is the selling point for the 31m.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #14

We love our 31M. The hallway, the bathroom...everything. Ours is 2006, and when we bought it, it had the "lean" to one side, but drove well. It had the large Roadmaster sway bar on rear, but it still seemed soft to me. Searched the RV threads and got a few ideas. We took it to a truck shop, had them put heavy duty shocks on, added a leaf to the rear suspension, and voila! The RV drives like a van, no lean and can a handle any load we put on it. I have stayed away from cheap light truck tires, and invested in a full set of Goodyear G947 s. We are very happy with the Fleetwood, and my wife and only wish we had got this sooner. Next adventure, is to upgrade the transmission cooler, so I can pull a Jeep YJ we just bought. Oh, also added the Onan Wireless Auto start for the generator - primarily for when the dog is left in the coach.

Tags
class c, fleetwood