Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2019, 08:16 AM   #1

Orphan RV

My 1994 23’ Europa has been identified as an orphan. I was made aware of this while attempting to have the power window fixed. I was so surprised since it is on a Chevy chassis. I learned that the coach manufacturer installed the doors. Searching for parts has become a theme in the short time I’ve owned my orphan.

Compared to parts availability for other older models, relatively few Europa RVs were produced. I’m on the hunt for the part that operates the driver window. By the way, the passenger side won’t work, design is specific for each side.

I’m facing a decision to keep my orphan or look for another, especially considering the production volume and ease of finding parts.

I’ll be adding questions regarding whether a rig is considered an orphan, parts availability and production. Perhaps my experience may be useful for others.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2019, 11:45 AM   #2

I would pull the part out of the door then go to a NAPA store, look for an older clerk and see if you can't match it up. I would do that for both doors.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:49 AM   #3

Pictures of what you're looking for?

The company didn't create their own power window mechanism - likely they pulled something from an existing parts bin. Trick will be to find what make/model they used.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow I looked at a you tube of the Europa, and the driver door was modified by the rv builder, there has to be a name stamped on it somewhere.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:04 AM   #5

Thanks
I looked everywhere and couldn’t find a name
I sent pictures to salvage yards and so far no one has the part
I’m taking the pictures to NAPA ( I have to cut wires to remove)
Old 09-09-2019, 01:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is it the window motor? Or the window regulator?
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:04 AM   #7

The motor seems to work
The regulator looks like someone did spot welding or something like it to repair it
I tried to send picture but was unsuccessful
Thanks
Old 09-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #8

Thanks. The NAPA rep was most helpful and thinks the part is a Ford. Problem seems to be the modification of the teeth on the motor.Click image for larger version

Name:	4F52476B-8901-4795-B02E-77D66E63EAEE.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	395.3 KB
ID:	259967

I tried to attach picture of the modified motor

So far no luck
I’m grateful for the replies.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #9

Looks like a,power window motor with a toothed gear tac welded to the window drive gear. The small teeth look ok just may need to be spaced out or bent out some. Hard to tell in the pic.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #10

Can you merge the good parts of a new motor with the gears of the old one?
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #11

Looks like a,power window motor with a toothed gear tac welded to the window drive gear. The small teeth look ok just may need to be spaced out or bent out some. Hard to tell in the pic.
Looks like the added gear teeth are worn enough to skip. May not have been made from the best grade material. I would spend the money and find a machine shop that could duplicate the added gear and have several made to replace the others. They could use better material to make the gear. A carbide cutter burr should make short work of the tac weld. Then you could JB Weld the new gear on. I know a lot of work but in the long run you would be ahead. That's what I would do.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:52 AM   #12

Thanks. The machine shop wants $1,000 and no promises that it will work. I’m hesitant to go that route. I don’t understand why a regular part wouldn’t work even if it were a entirely new power window assembly.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:06 AM   #13

A power window motor does not have a toothed gear on it like yours. The part that is welded is the oridginal window motor. The problem looks to be from the material they used to drive the shade. Good engineering but poor material choice and tolerance of the parts.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:00 AM   #14

All motorhomes over 20 years old are orphans except for the chassis. You just need to change your approach, instead of trying to repair a cobbled up motor. I would take some measurements of the glass width plus the travel and look for a complete regulator assembly to fit within the existing door cavity. Then fabricate and weld or fasten in tabs to hold the new regulator in place Complete regulators can be had for <$100. Hot rodders use this approach often to put power windows in 50's and 60's cars. I did it myself to a 1954 Ford I rodded back in the 1980's. If you are paying someone else to do your work on a vintage motorhome, stop! unless you have lots of money to spend. You need to be resourceful and do as much of your own work as possible.

Here is an example of a complete assembly. 4 bolts hold the motor assembly the lifting rail goes to the glass or the existing lift rail. The other section is the guide that keeps the lift running vertical basicaly you would just need a plate for the motor assembly 2 tabs for the guide and what ever mods you need to make for the lift rail. 2 wire control just reverses the polarity to the motor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	window reg.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	260091