Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2019, 07:13 PM   #1

I have a 2019 Coachman Freelander.
For some reason the outside cable connection does not appear to be working.
I’m connecting a dish network playmaker and I keep getting a “no signal “ message.
I’ve turned off the OTA antenna booster, per Coachman's advice, nothing. I know that the satellite is working because I get a signal when I hook up directly to tv.
I’m trying to trouble shoot it because dealership is 3 hours away.

Any suggestions?
Bulldawg1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2019, 07:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
There should be a separate SAT input on the trailer and another for CABLE. Often, the manufacturer mislabels them. Try the other one. The SAT connection should not be through the CABLE connection.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:32 PM   #3

Cable connections can have baluns which will block SAT
SAT to SAT Receiver requires straight through center wire, no baluns allowed.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:07 AM   #4

If your Freelander is like mine, you have a 5-900mhz splitter and a King Jack power inserter both of which kill satellite signal. Satellite requires power and a frequency response of 2000mhz or higher.

You have to make sure the splitter is AFTER the power inserter and you have to take the cable input off the power inserter and connect it directly to satellite input. That means you'll need an A/B switch if you want cable and satellite.

I found the easiest for me was to buy a flat satellite cable from Amazon and just run the satellite input under the front door to the receiver.

The other things can be done, but I didn't want to mess with them. The under door cable is a straight shot to the receiver if you don't mind living with the cable hanging out where you can see it.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #5

Here's a rough picture of what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cable_sat.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	256197  
Old 08-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #6

I had to do basically what CC38EL did. The Sat receiver needs a straight feed from the sat antenna.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC38EL View Post
Here's a rough picture of what I'm talking about.

This a correct way, or run a separate cable to your sat box. You can not have it run through that booster. I assume you just have 1 cable input on the outside, the sat will not work in that configuration
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vongreg View Post
I had to do basically what CC38EL did. The Sat receiver needs a straight feed from the sat antenna.
Works great this way.
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #9

outside cable plug issue

Name:   winguard plug plate.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  4.8 KB

If I change my single outlet wall plug outlet to this, does anyone think that'll work?
Old 08-13-2019, 03:54 PM   #10

This will work for you only if the satellite cable and outside cable connection to your power inserter are separate.

If you're still going to use the exterior cable input for both satellite and cable, you'll still need an A/B switch somewhere before the power inserter and splitter.

Wish I had a magic setup to get you around this hack.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #11

outside cable plug issue

Having found the wall plug like I posted on the thread, at my local RV dealer, I decided to take a chance and blow $30.

I swapped all the cables exactly except I hooked the "cable" cord from the outside plug to the the aux/sat plug. (this bypasses any conflict with the OTA booster) This worked perfectly and I can now hook my sat dish to the outside wall plug while still having over the air tv on the other tv's.

The only issue that I forsee will be that I will have to make a cable adjustment if I want to use a campsites cable hook up. But I only see me doing that if I cannot get a clear satellite signal.

Thanks for everyone who attempted to help me. I can only hope to return the favor some time.

Tags
cable