Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #1

Outside Stereo

Has anyone upgraded their outside stereo? I was hoping to get one with an input for an Ipod/Iphone instead of just the radio and one CD slot that the Jenson has that came from the factory. (2006 model, Fleetwood Jamboree)
Not sure if there's anything special about the one in there, waterproof, etc.
simtec820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by simtec820 View Post
Has anyone upgraded their outside stereo? I was hoping to get one with an input for an Ipod/Iphone instead of just the radio and one CD slot that the Jenson has that came from the factory. (2006 model, Fleetwood Jamboree)
Not sure if there's anything special about the one in there, waterproof, etc.
simtec820
While your at it think about upgrading to earphones (for the enjoyment of other campers)!
Thanks!
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #3

SIMTEC... USB options on the stereo might even be better than IPOD and IPHONE connectivity.... I can place an 8GB ($10) USB mem stick into my stereo and it holds enough music to cover almost 1/2 of every CD I own. The sum is hundreds of hours of tunes... BUt you do not have to stop there....you can get remote ON/OFF and volume control....You can get models that will allow you to use DVDs to hold your tunes (DVDs hold much more music than CDs). I swapped out the Blaupunkt for a JVC KDS100 (now older) and it was on close out special for under $90. Was a nice upgrade. So you too can find that wonderful model with all the features that you can imagine.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #4

I replaced mine (2006 Fleetwood Tioga) with a new JVC last month. Plays everything. I use a micro USB thumb drive in it mostly. The Jensen (probably the same model as yours) did not play MP3s so it was history. The JVC has a remote also and that is handy for changing tracks and controlling the volume. If I'm in a campground with noisy kids or neighbors I'll use it but mostly use it only when boondocking, camped at a show, or to get weather reports. It's a standard in-dash. Nothing special about the original. The compartment door keeps the weather out.

$70 on Amazon: JVC KDR540 CD-USB Receiver AUX Input

I did add a power switch to the 12V going to it so it would not drain the batteries when off. Most new electronics is never off, just in standby and still draws a little power.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:09 PM   #5

I need to replace my outside unit. I have a JVC that somehow got wet and is history. Still don't know how it happened. I have never found moisture in the box. I was wondering about wiring issues with a different brand. Any ideas. I have not pulled the entire box out yet to look
gthunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #6

mel s,
You don't have to have an outside stereo to annoy other campers! Last time I was at a KOA a man put his radio right next to his window (on the inside of the rv) and blared his Rock music right toward my picnic table area. VERY Annoying was he!!
simtec820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthunts View Post
I need to replace my outside unit. I have a JVC that somehow got wet and is history. Still don't know how it happened. I have never found moisture in the box. I was wondering about wiring issues with a different brand. Any ideas. I have not pulled the entire box out yet to look
I did not have to pull the box to replace mine. Slid out the front. Color code on the New JVC was the same as the old Jensen radio. The back and wiring on mine was easy to get to right behind the drawer under my fridge. Just removed the drawer. I soldered and heat shrunk all my wires and used wire ties as they do bounce around.

I did add a switch to cut the 12 VDC as I did not want it to be a parasitic draw on my batteries. Put the switch inside above the drawer below the refrigerator. Open the drawer a couple of inches and reach up and flip the switch.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #8

Sorry, I don't want to hear your "outside stereo." But I can either complain to management, the campground host, or leave.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #9

I would look at one of the marine units. But you will have to get one with many watts, it is hard to drown out the yelling young bipeds.
Last weekend out of 8 groups of people the only request I had was no country, for the enjoyment of 11 people.
They have bluetooth now also.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
People with outside radios and TV should be hung from a tree. If you want to listen to it, go in and close your door.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:34 PM   #11

There are a lot of noises that can be irritating to other campers, music is only one of them. Others may include little barky dogs, shrieking children, loud drunk conversation and arguments, generators, people drowning screaming for help, etc. That's why campgrounds have "Quiet" hours. If you are looking for peace and quiet, most campgrounds are not the place to be. If I'm in a crowded campground and it's quiet (a rare occurrence) I'll keep as quiet as possible. During the day if the place is full of screaming kids, generators running, and barking dogs then I'll have music on. You would be hard pressed to hear it at the next site though.

And if you really don't like music just wait till you start hearing all those outside large screen TVs they are installing now.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd rather hear someone's stereo than choke on their campground smoke. Tonight is a beautiful night, 68 degrees, slight breeze but I have to sit inside with the windows closed and everything sealed up. At least with the stereo, I could ask them to turn it down. We are here for the season and I can hardly wait to get back out West where they don't allow fires. You would think all these people camping for years would know how to make a fire instead of smoke bomb's.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
There are a lot of noises that can be irritating to other campers, music is only one of them. Others may include little barky dogs, shrieking children, loud drunk conversation and arguments, generators, people drowning screaming for help, etc. That's why campgrounds have "Quiet" hours. If you are looking for peace and quiet, most campgrounds are not the place to be. If I'm in a crowded campground and it's quiet (a rare occurrence) I'll keep as quiet as possible. During the day if the place is full of screaming kids, generators running, and barking dogs then I'll have music on. You would be hard pressed to hear it at the next site though.

And if you really don't like music just wait till you start hearing all those outside large screen TVs they are installing now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I'd rather hear someone's stereo than choke on their campground smoke. Tonight is a beautiful night, 68 degrees, slight breeze but I have to sit inside with the windows closed and everything sealed up. At least with the stereo, I could ask them to turn it down. We are here for the season and I can hardly wait to get back out West where they don't allow fires. You would think all these people camping for years would know how to make a fire instead of smoke bomb's.
Talk about hijacking a thread! Lets stick to the OT and start a new thread for noise complaints.
a_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #14

Not interested in hijacking the thread but it does occur to me that the mysterious wet stereo might have been some neighbor borrowing his kid's Super Soaker.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote