Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #15

This one has a little bit of air coming in also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shasta 1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	214372  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2019, 03:03 PM   #16

Did you ever finish this project? Wondering what you ended up using to reattach the two?

2005 Fleetwood Jamboree 22B
Valent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:52 AM   #17

Just in case anyone looks for more info on this old thread:

I removed the trim pieces and could tell some of the rivets had broken. Tried drilling a few holes to screw together but wasn't having much luck. So, I removed the headliner completely. Not that difficult a job. Then found out pretty much every "rivet" was broken. Btw, not actually a rivet. More like a metal expanding anchor (like for Sheetrock or plaster) on a rivet style.
So, I used metal screws and reattached the metal of the cab to the wood floor of the overhead. Put screws in between each hole from the rivets. The weatherstripping between the two was a thin, flat rubber(?) product and still seemed in very good condition
Time of course will tell how long the screws last but they are much beefier than the original attachment system

Old 07-25-2019, 02:47 PM   #18

Wink Thru bolt it...

After hitting just about every pothole between Arizona and Maine {Washington DC and Michigan being the worst by far} on an extended cross country trip 4 years ago we got a small leak during a heavy rain storm dripping down from near the top of the windshield. We were near Elkhart and stopped at the factory.

The tech found several of the screws the go up through the cab flange and into the bottom of the cabover had sheared off and quickly replaced them. When I got home I opened it up and replaced all of the screws with 1/4 - 20 ss machine screws {much larger} topped them with ss washers and nylon ss lock nuts.

When I finished torquing everything down the connection between the flange that is the top of the cab and the cabover is now rock solid and this of course recompressed the gasket. There is zero movement between cab and cabover and no chance of a leak.

It has been 4 years and everything is still nice and tight/solid. I have some pics somewhere on my computer at home {currently in San Diego settling my fathers estate - he passed last Sunday... sigh} and will be happy to e mail them to anyone who wants a detailed look at this repair{never had any luck posting pics here but if someone wants to share that trick I would be grateful}.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #19

Sorry about your Dad. So, do the ends of your machine screws just show along the overhead bunk floor?

Old 07-27-2019, 08:31 AM   #20

Wink Pics are coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valent View Post
Sorry about your Dad. So, do the ends of your machine screws just show along the overhead bunk floor?

No, when I finished torquing everything down I used a hack saw to cut the top of the machine screws off flush with the nut. Then when the plastic U track was reinstalled nothing shows.

I finally found the pics i was searching for and a member here has offered to post them after I get them emailed to him. They should be on this thread soon.

Old 07-27-2019, 03:46 PM   #21

Here are the pics!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1114.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	254896Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1115.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	254897Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1121.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	254898Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1120.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	254899Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1118.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	254900
Old 07-28-2019, 10:02 AM   #22

Talking Thank you!

Big thank you to Rumline for posting the pics. Maybe someday I will figure out how to do it {this is the only Forum that gives me trouble}
Old 07-28-2019, 01:19 PM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
I recommend you approach this from the overhead bunk area. I knew I had an air leak, then lost a piece of overcab sidewall on hwy during high wind/rain; disassembly found PO had removed all overcab bunk rotted wood, but failed to provide anything for joint screws to screw into where the front aluminum met the fiberglass (99GS-6266, class-c). Fortunate for aluminum tubing frame in mine, but had to have some wood over windshield; sure stopped the joint from bouncing as you went down the highway :-) The screws went thru Alum/ fiberglass joint into FOAM; sure glad I did not lose more, it could have really been a big mess. :-)
(Additional): I SUSPECT the fiberglass over windshield has lost adhesion to the original 1/8 Lauan plywood, which is prob wet/ rotted? Basically, foam sandwiched between plywood, then fiberglass (or) wall paneling applied outside/ inside. This (now loose) fiberglass FLEXES/ ripples in the highway winds, ripping the rivets loose, opening THIS/ OTHER (SIDE) other joints? Been there, where previous owners(s) removed rot, but put back NO structure
Old 07-29-2019, 08:26 AM   #24

Capt Steve, that is a very nice job. Mine has the overhead bunk and the plastic trim doesn't lift so high so that's why I was having a hard time understanding. Thanks for sharing the pics. I definitely agree your repair should last a lifetime

Tags
seal