Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2006, 09:35 PM   #1

Recently bought an 86 Scamper - 460 Ford. We are having trouble with it overheating, especially on hills but will also do so when we have been on highway for a while and slow down when we hit a town. The entire cooling system has been checked and water pump, gauge, sensor have been replace. Radiator cleaned. Any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2006, 09:35 PM   #2

Recently bought an 86 Scamper - 460 Ford. We are having trouble with it overheating, especially on hills but will also do so when we have been on highway for a while and slow down when we hit a town. The entire cooling system has been checked and water pump, gauge, sensor have been replace. Radiator cleaned. Any suggestions?

Old 07-08-2006, 12:51 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
elksands, welcome to iRV2.com We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the forum. You will find we are a group of fun loving RVers that like to help each other where we can.
Does you coach have a transmission cooler on it? Has the timing of the engine been checked? If you do not have a good size transmission cooler on it I would recommend installing one and if you can find a place that has a transmission fluid flush machine, flush out all the old and install new fluid. If the engine timing is off this can add to the heat issue too. Maybe someone else has some ideas, stay tuned for further ideas. Good luck and stay safe.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:47 AM   #4

Have you checked the fan clutch if equipped. They can lose grip and the fan will not spin fast enough at low speeds.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:09 AM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions. We have replaced the fan clutch and had a complete tune up including timing. We haven't looked into a transmission cooler though, so will check into that. Would dual exhaust help? When it gets hot if we put heater on and the motor seems to be able to get rid of some of the heat and cools. However at plus 80 degrees it is uncomfortable for us with the heater on. Has anyone used Banks Power? If so does it help keep motor cool?
Old 07-09-2006, 08:21 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to IRV2. First things to check are clean and flush the cooling system. If the radiator is fairly dirty, you mave have to remove it hand have a radiator shop fix it. Next is a complete tune up, checking the fuel mixture and timing.

These should get you headed the right direction. As for a banks system on this age coach, consider that it is a pretty pricey modification and won't have any bearing on over heating issues.

Ken
Old 07-09-2006, 10:35 AM   #7

To check your clutch fan, if equipped, with the engine cold trying to turn fan should offer little resistance. Being VERY CAREFUL with the engine at operating temp. try to turn the fan, it should offer quite a bit of resistance.
Also at highway speed the fan clutch may make a dull rumbling sound if it going bad.
I had the same problem with my 89 E350 duallie and replacing the clutch fan cured it.
Good luck.

2004 Fleetwood Mallard 33Z
RV4FunFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #8

Hi, As the unit is 20 yrs old why not fit anelectric fan and a switch in cab to flick on on long hills and very hot days .It seems that with heater on it gets rid of heat so its probably the fan.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:18 PM   #9

In that era, Ford was pretty well known for not using a large enough radiator and had a lot of problems such as you are experiencing.

I would suggest you find a good radiator shop and see if there is room for a heavy duty radiator to be installed (if you don't already have at least a four core radiator).

If that won't work, I would certainly try to go with the electric cooling fans. It will cost a few dollars more, but go with a thermostatically controlled fan system while you are at it.

Good luck.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:39 PM   #10

When I bought this my Class C (1989 E350 w 460)from the original owner, he mentioned a significant problem with heat in this unit, specifically the transmission. First he tried installing the Tranny cooler with little decrease in overall heat. Then he switched the tranny fluid to Amsoil synthetic and noticed a huge change.

The unit now runs on synthetics through-out. We have however experienced the same issues identified earlier regarding heat in the cab. Some days it's ther other it's not (will be sure to check the fan), however it seems to me that all the heat is radiating from the Catalytic converter. It is the source of the the majority of heat in our unit.

The passenger can hardly sit in the chair some days, and the seat belt retainer could cook and egg.

I believe it is time to pull the converter off.

Good luck to all and happy motoring!