Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #1

Pilot flying J question

Newbie here, so please bear with me.

At pilot flying J service stations the front section is for cars, and the back is for trucks. The trucks in the back use diesel fuel. My 33 foot long RV plus a toad is too long for the front section, Can I get gas in the back where the trucks get their diesel?

Thanks for your help.

KenMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #2

I have not seen gas in the truck lanes, but some Pilot/Flying J's have RV islands that will accommodate you and your tow

Old 08-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #3

Welcome...
if you are a gasser you should use either the car islands (up front) or typically there will be an RV island that dispenses both gas and diesel. My 31 footer with Toad makes it easily through the RV islands.
Good Luck
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #4

As far as I know the back pumps only have diesel. I am 52 ft long when I pull my truck and I use the front pumps, I know it sticks out some but I don't have any other options.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. I'm sure others will post answers for your query. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
All the pumps we have been to DO NOT have gasoline in the Back. Most J's and Pilot's have RV LANES now. We use the truck lanes in the back because it's a faster fill for us.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
Pilot flying J question

There is a "myPilot" app, and it will give you a list of the facilities you will find at each location, fuel prices, etc.

I'd suggest you also use the Allstays app, which will allow you to see (or filter) other stations and list the facilities at those stations as well. Gas Buddy and YP are also good apps to check out fuel prices.

To answer your question, I generally try to find a Flying J versus a Pilot for the very reason you are questioning. As mentioned, the Flying J's usually have RV lanes that have both gas and/or decile pumps. They are usually located over to the side of the regular automobile pumps. They usually have no canopy over the pumps, and have plenty of room to maneuver your RV without difficulty.

I also usually find it a convenient location to get LP gas and they generally have RV parking lanes, where they even allow you to spend the night without a charge. They also generally have a Denny's or other restaurant attached, which makes a good option when deadheading to a destination.

With a gasser you need to consider other options as well, like Costco and/or Sam's Club. I find that they generally have fuel lanes that allow easy ingress and egress, and you will save substantially on the price per gallon. You or your copilot can also do your shopping at the same time you fuel up, and there is generally sufficient space to allow you to park and enjoy a lunch or supper break.

I generally plan the next leg ahead by picking out my stopping locations and then googling the sight to plan my approach and exit before getting there.

Welcome aboard, and I hope this information is helpful for you.

Happy traveling!

Ted
Old 08-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #8

I use the back truck lanes for diesel, and have never seen gasoline at the back. They do have DEF for the newer diesels at the pumps, in addition to of course diesel fuel.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #9

Carolina Campers
I forgot to let you know, that you should consider getting a Pilot/Flying J credit card. You can get one that is combined with your Good Sam membership and get a per gallon discount. I have a GS Lifetime membership, that gives me a 6 cent per gallon discount at the pump. As an Elite customer (if you purchased your RV through Camping World) you can get a 7 cents per gallon discount.

Another benefit of having the card is that you can pay at the pump and you do not have a limit on the gallons you can pump.

Ted
Old 08-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #10

Hello,

Thanks to all that replied. I will follow up on all of your suggestions.

Have a great day.

KenMast is offline   Reply With Quote