Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2011, 08:04 AM   #1

Popping/banging noise

Forgive me if this has been answered, but I am new to this forum and did not find an answer in research.

I have a 1989 Ford chassis Shasta motorhome. Since I can remember I have noticed a clunking or banging noise when making tight turns, like when turning in a parking lot or driveway. I had it checked out once by a truck mechanic a few years ago, and he said there was no problem he could see. In research I saw there was an issue on 2001-03 chassis, and z brackets were installed to correct the problem. I was wondering if that would solve the problem on this unit. I know this is an old unit, and maybe this was addressed several years ago, but I didn't know about these forums then. If someone knows of a link to these answers, I would appreciate it.

Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
More info, if you can---but maybe steering hitting frame when in tight turn.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:44 AM   #3

Wheels

I had the same issue. It was the wheels. With the weight they can twist and 'torque" causing lots of noise. Have someone walk along side while turning and see if that is your same noise
Old 09-13-2011, 03:54 AM   #4

It's that little troll that steals every small item you drop. He's trying to get out. "Help, let me out, let me out".
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #5

Grumpy, the steering does not hit the frame, as far as I can tell. It is sporadic - sometimes it will happen every time I turn, then I might not hear it again for awhile.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:14 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't even know if your Ford is equipted with them. But, could it be the anti-sway bar bushings. I just replaced all 4 shocks on one of my vehicles trying to get away from that kind of noise; only to find out it was those bushings.

Good luck!!!
ed
Old 09-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #7

I had a 1979 Chev class C did the same thing - turned out to be worn calipers on the front disc brakes. The mounting "ears" were worn and caused the calipers to bang against the mounting point. Worked that way for 8 years.....
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #8

I was going to suggest the anti-sway bar bushings, but got lazy. WD-40 will fix the squeak in a heartbeat. I buy it by the gallon. Much, much cheaper than by the can.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote