Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2014, 12:21 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Some folks opt to do a permanent install of a propane heater.

Here is an example. http://roadslesstraveled.us/rv-heater/

wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2014, 01:04 AM   #16

A have had good luck with just a portable electric space heater. Kept me plenty warm in really cold weather

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:38 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd ad a Wave. They put out more BTU and are wall mountable so floor space isn't eaten up plus no knock over risk. My dad added one to his RV since they Boondock a lot and also they're more efficient than the forced air furnaces. Use less propane.

I'm looking at adding one to our Class C now.

2006 Four Winds 28A, Ford V10, E450 Toad 2000 Geo Tracker.
DogNPonyshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #18

One thing to watch out for on the wave heaters is the catalyst can be ruined with dust.
Keep it covered when not in use....and also be aware some people using them in the desert report only getting one season use before the catalyst is ruined from all the airborne dust.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
I have used a buddy heater in the past in our Motor Home, I always crack a window and a roof vent just to be safe. I only do it though when we boondock and we don't have shore power to run an electric heater on.
As for knocking it over, if you even look at ours real hard it will kick off automatically.
X2!
I've used a Buddy Heater, (not the Big Buddy), for 10+ years whenever necessary.
Mel
'96 Safari, 35'
Old 10-03-2014, 06:37 AM   #20

With the cost of propane being what it is I'd think a used generator and gasoline would be a cheaper solution.

It would also solve your 'no electricity' issue.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
With the cost of propane being what it is I'd think a used generator and gasoline would be a cheaper solution.
It would also solve your 'no electricity' issue.
Murf2u
A "cheaper solution"??

My Portable Buddy Heater, (when operated on "high"), produces 9,000 BTUs of heat per hour, (using ONLY 1/4 of a gallon of propane)....over 40 hours on a 20#, (4.7 gallon), tank.... ($16.45 worth at today's prices).

A 120V electric space heater can only produce a maximum of 5115 BTU an hour.
My generator burns nearly $70.00 worth of fuel in 40 hours.
That's a little over 1/2 as much heat for over 4 TIMES the $$.

There's nothing "cheaper" about that!

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 10-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #22

We have a catalytic heater designed for closed spaces
Old 10-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydp View Post
We have a catalytic heater designed for closed spaces
That's what a Buddy heater is.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have used one of the electric heaters that looks like radiator. It heats the oil and you have constant heat. It has two different amp settings and a thermostat. We have used it for 4-5 years with no problems.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
My Portable Buddy Heater, (when operated on "high"), produces 9,000 BTUs of heat per hour, (using ONLY 1/4 of a gallon of propane)....over 40 hours on a 20#, (4.7 gallon), tank.... ($16.45 worth at today's prices).

Leaving aside the obvious mathematical errors, 1/4 gal. / hr. for 40 hrs. would require 10 gal. not 4.7 gal., a difference of more than 100%, the OP is talking about living in a Class C in upstate NY for the winter, I hardly think 9k BTU's would take the frost off the windows.

A typical RV furnace in something that size would be 30k BTU with an efficiency rating of maybe 65% . He'd be warmer from carrying propane tanks around than he would be from the furnace.

Having slept waaaay too many nights at just 32 deg. in a small'ish C, I can tell you the furnace, even with a Buddy heater, wouldn't cut the mustard on a winters night.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have this one
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F232...able+big+buddy

Do I like it: yes

Would I use it around kids: No

Does it get hot: holy s... yes. The heat rises. I would not put it on a table with cabinet, etc.. above it.

I open a window one inch to ensure ventilation. If I remember correctly the manual said 9 inch ventilation required.

The propane bottle is not big enought. I have a hose the runs to my main propane tank, requires filter for rubber hose. The rubber hose degrades, the oil comes out and mixes with the propane which gums up the heater.

No electricity required. If I lose all power and have propane, I will not freeze, but the pipes might.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #27

I use a Olympian Wave 8 catalytic heater in a 32 foot class A. I previously used a Wave 4, but the 4 was way too small.
The heater stands on legs and can be moved to where heat is needed. I use a cover and store it in the shower when not in use.
I use a hose with a quick connect on each end ( one approved for propane ) attached to my RVs copper propane line with a T near the stove.
The Wave 8 increases temperature 10 to 15 degrees in the RV. It is nice to sit in front of it in the evening because the infrared heat keeps us warm.
When sleeping in cold weather ( 30 degrees ) we use lots of blankets and set the RV furnace thermostat at 50 degrees. The furnace rarely kicks on when the Wave 8 is running.
The catalytic heater is good heat supplement for us when boondocking. It saves on batteries and propane and we don‘t have to run the generator.
I open a window about 1/2 inch and also a roof vent about 1/2 inch.
I put in 2 carbon monoxide detectors. One in the front and one in the back. Neither one has ever sounded an alert.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Leaving aside the obvious mathematical errors, 1/4 gal. / hr. for 40 hrs. would require 10 gal. not 4.7 gal., a difference of more than 100%, the OP is talking about living in a Class C in upstate NY for the winter, I hardly think 9k BTU's would take the frost off the windows.

A typical RV furnace in something that size would be 30k BTU with an efficiency rating of maybe 65% . He'd be warmer from carrying propane tanks around than he would be from the furnace.

Having slept waaaay too many nights at just 32 deg. in a small'ish C, I can tell you the furnace, even with a Buddy heater, wouldn't cut the mustard on a winters night.
Murf2u
Sorry about the mathematical error.

A Buddy Heater will run on high while producing 9,000 BTU per hour on 20# of propane, (which at $3.50 per gallon costs $16.45).

I agree that a 9,000 BTU heater is not enough to comfortably heat a RV in sustained cold weather, but they are useful where nighttime temps drop into the low 40s to high 30s.

Mel
'96 Safari

Tags
heater, propane