Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2016, 01:08 PM   #1

Potable water tank filling

Hello, me again. My last tow camper had a potable water fill access and a city water access. My class c has only the city water fill. I can fill my potable water tank by opening and closing valves with the garden hose attached. How do I fill the tank when I'm out in the woods with a 5 gallon water can, access to a clean water supply, but no hose bibb to attach hose to? Old camper you just dumped in the water via a funnel into potable water access. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #2

Our fifth wheel also only has the hose bib fill. Our "water control center" (all those valves) has a way to use your water pump to suck water from a bucket if you put a hose from the hose bib fitting into the bucket. READ DEEP INTO YOUR INSTRUCTIONS and see if they talk about filling from a portable container as to how to set all the different valves to accomplish this.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:09 PM   #3

Recently I read, if I have this right, that you need a pump from the 5 gal to the gravity feed.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:30 PM   #4

I too miss the old water fill access. In all likelihood, to accomplish adding water from a none pressurized sources will require a small pump. Observed a campground host doing just that a couple of months ago.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:06 AM   #5

Thanks. Those who camp in RV parks can just hook up to city water. I do a lot of camping in the rough. No electric, no water, no sewage. The potable water dump in access is a better deal.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatterasman View Post
Thanks. Those who camp in RV parks can just hook up to city water. I do a lot of camping in the rough. No electric, no water, no sewage. The potable water dump in access is a better deal.

As posted by 'Two Bit' you may have a way of using on-board pump to suck water out of bucket/bottle and fill tank

Look at valving/plumbing lines around/near water pump.....
Do you have an openended clear hose attached with a shut off valve?
That would be for 'winterizing'
It could also be used to fill water tank

Install a longer hose..stick it in water bottle/jug
Close all other valves on suction side of pump...open clear hose valve
Turn on pump.open tank fill valve (all other valves closed on pump discharge side

Just remember which valves you closed/open so you can redo them back to original positions

S/B description/illustrations in owners manual ----Jayco pretty good about that
Old 09-02-2016, 10:09 PM   #7

I'm in the same boat as you! Don't know what you have for a rig, but on my Prism it is NOT plumbed to fill the on board fresh water tank using the on board water pump. I solved this by buying an $18 12V 1.1 gpm water pump on Amazon. Added cigarette lighter plug on a power cord, so can now pump water from portable jug into city water connection. Less than $25 total. ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:32 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggenrock View Post
I'm in the same boat as you! Don't know what you have for a rig, but on my Prism it is NOT plumbed to fill the on board fresh water tank using the on board water pump. I solved this by buying an $18 12V 1.1 gpm water pump on Amazon. Added cigarette lighter plug on a power cord, so can now pump water from portable jug into city water connection. Less than $25 total. ST
Can you direct to the pump you used on Amazon or elsewhere? Or brand/model? Thx.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:30 PM   #9

Hi vsheetz!

here's the name/brand of the pump I bought:
Amarine-made 12v Water Pressure Diaphragm Pump 4.3 L/min 1.1 GPM 35 PSI - Caravan/rv/boat/marine

However, guess I'm glad I got it when I did - now Amazon lists it as unavailable...

I just searched again for 12V RV water pump and got a whole list. Here's one that seems equivalent to what i got for $22:
Medog 12V DC 1.35 GPM 116PSI Diaphragm Water Pressure Washdown pump 5LPM pump head 165foot for Caravan/marine/RV/boat / Agricultural Spraying build in pressure switch

Who knows - the one I got may come back on line in a few days, too. Good luck! ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water