Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-11-2015, 07:29 AM   #1
Propane alarm going off

Hi RVers:

I own a 2007 FR Sunseeker (about 30'). The propane alarm has started going off whenever I turn on the generator. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure if I just turn on the master electric switch near the door, it is going to go off (I haven't tried this, but will next time I go visit my RV). This did not happen during the winter, but we've had a brutal winter in the Poconos, and is it possible I sprang a propane leak due to harsh winter weather? Due to the alarm, I turned propane tank valve off firmly and noticed I'd gone from 2/3rds full to 1/3 full (over winter).

Does propane leak into RV over winter when RV not in use? I had it professionally winterized (and it still is winterized) and kept it going by plugging it into an external outlet in February. Otherwise, I was turning the generator and engine on about once a week for 3 minutes, and that seemed to work. Back then, the propane alarm was not going off when I'd do this--but now it does.

Sincerely, Gabriela

gabriela is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2015, 08:12 AM   #2
Are you positive it's a propane alarm and not a CO alarm ?

2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #3
could it be your alarm is close to the end of it's useful life? We were getting that at 9 years old and replaced it.. no more problems.
2004 Holiday Rambler DST
Jefferson City, Missouri
Navy vet 67/71 Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:12 AM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are losing propane then it has to be going somewhere so checking for a leak is a good thing to do. It can be done with a manometer easily and it does not take much time to do. Usually can be done standing in front of your stove top. Not everyone has a manometer but a trip to an RV repair shop can get you the leak answer quickly for not too much money.

Finding a leak is something else again. However you can do a good job by soaping all the connections and elbows you can see with the propane on to see if you get bubbles. If you do then that joint leaks.

An old propane detector can fail and go off intermittently, so if your is older than about five years it may be a good idea to change it anyway. Also when they activate several time they become more likely to give you a false warning.

Your detector sounding when the generator is running is a sign that it could be a CO detector instead. These are mounted higher on the wall propane detectors are mounted on the floor usually because propane sinks.

BY the way does your generator run on propane. Just asking? Also if you haven't check some obvious things. Are you sure all your stove top valves are closed.

Good luck to you let us know how you are doing. You are right to pursue this until you know for sure a gas leak is nothing to neglect as you well know.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #5
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Are you positive it's a propane alarm and not a CO alarm ?
Well, that's a very good question. Do RVs have built in CO2 alarms? Because I do have a removable CO2 alarm, but my memory is I haven't got the battery in for it yet (haven't been using the RV at all, just keeping it going by turning it on every week). But I'm almost sure it's the propane alarm because the alarm sound is coming from the panel next to the door and I've gone from a propane tank that was full down down to a propane tank that is now 1/3 full. What a waste of propane, and how dangerous was that? (Now I turned off the tank from the source--someone suggested that to me, and i should have done that before. Live and learn.) I was turning everything off (all systems off from the switch near the door) at all times that I was NOT charging the house battery from an external electrical outlet. But from last week of Jan to end March, I had that RV plugged in because it was brutally cold and I was not around to tend the RV batteries. So during that period, I had to leave the systems "on" to achieve the charging of house and car battery. So, could the pilot lights have been out, and now the propane is just leaking into the RV during those cold months?

I am a newbie, as you can see. Love the RV, just too busy to use it yet.
gabriela is offline   Reply With Quote