Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2015, 08:18 AM   #1

Propane leak

When I'm not using my RV there is no problem, have had lines tested twice but still have leak problems only when it's in use, smell only occur outside of motor home ??
Bukiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 08:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukiman View Post
When I'm not using my RV there is no problem, have had lines tested twice but still have leak problems only when it's in use, smell only occur outside of motor home ??
Did you have a propane dealer that has a service tech that does propane tank, line and appliance repair do the testing?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #3

Yes
Old 11-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Yes
If that's the case I guess you will have to find it yourself, find a reputable tech to find it for you...or put up with it.
Sorry
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #5

I have seen this on a Dometic refrigerator. It only leaked when I ran it on gas. In my case, I replaced the refrigerator and gave the old one away to somebody who wanted to strip parts from it. I never had time to diagnose the leak.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 11-22-2015, 12:41 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
OK, you can't smell it when not in use? but you can smell it when you are using the RV(No idea) outside? Now, you posted limited info. about your equipment, so I am going to make a guess. If when you are not using the RV, and if you have a safety solenoid valve on the tank that shuts off the supply IF your batteries are disconnected or your LP detector is off, there would be no flow/smell.
And, when you fire the RV up and are using it and this safety solenoid valve is open, you would smell the leak........do you have a solenoid valve like this on the tank? And if you have one, was the test performed with the valve open? Most of the time these valves are directly linked to the LP detector, so if it get a "Wiff" of some propane, it will close the valve and shut the flow off.
It would be a great help for other members that read your thread here that would like to help if you would list/post as much detail of the equipment you own.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:47 AM   #7

Good point, I'll try having it checked with everything in operation. I was thinking about that and now I'll follow up.
Thanks
Old 12-10-2015, 11:37 PM   #8

Propane Leak

You should be able to isolate the leak to one specific area around the outside of your RV.
The sources on the outside of your rv include the Refrigerator, the Furnace, and the Hot Water Heater, or the lpg tank valve or lines.
Once you isolate the location, you will be in a position to attack the specific appliance or supply line of LPG.
I had a similar issue when I started up the water heater in my RV after many years of having sat without being used.

Mercaptan is a sulfur based odorant used LPG PROPANE. It can also percipient out as a sticky glue substance. I traced my leak to the
water heater control valve. It weeped a very small amount of gas in the off position. I removed the valve and was able repair it by spraying solvent into the exit tube after removing the orifice. I applied 12 volts to the valve with a jumper wire multiple times until the seat came clean. Once I got the seat clean, there was no further issue with weeping LPG.
Bubble soap in a spray spray bottle is a good way to look for leaks also.
Professorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:06 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
No one mentioned a spray bottle with dish soapy water, spray on all pipe fittings and watch for many tiny bubbles? You don't need a so called professional. It is not rocket science. ( please don't yell at me ) You can find the leak yourself even if you don't want to try fixing it yourself. BUT shut the tank off and don't use any appliance until it is fixed.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:03 AM   #10

Leak

I did find the leak, it was the regulator, it's covered with a dust shield so was not visible so, 'out of sight out of mind', do not know why the previous testers did not remove cover. but it is now fixed, the reason it did not leak when not in use was that gas was turned of.

Tags
leak, propane