Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #1

proper way to measure a class c motorhome

hello folks
what is the correct way to measure a class c motorhome ? my insurance man says from front bumper to back bumper is this right? the only reason iam curious about it is because you can"t live in the cab to me thats wasted space other than to drive it down the road you do have the bunk above you but is this right. dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #2

Front bumper to back bumper then you round up to the next whole foot.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #3

Diddo
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #4

First you get a long yard stick..................

As before, bumper to bumper, just like the parts store.

Terry
tnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:14 AM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
How about going with the manufacturer's specs? That's what I use when making campground reservations. That's what the DMV used for registration.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
So, figure this out.... Mine measures a couple inches past 24 feet, bumper to bumper, yet on Fleetwood's spec sheet is says it is a "Model D23' ". (the apostrophe after the 23 is intentional)

If you're in a hurry, you shouldn't be RV'ing
RVee'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

RVIA now says manufacturers must measure the interior living space, not exterior length. This was to correct a problem in earlier usage, where travel trailer manufacturers were claiming the trailer tongue as part of the unit's length. For a Class C, the interior space includes the cab area (it is accessible from inside).

If you look at manufacturer specs, you will see they quote an exterior or overall length that is different than the model designation, e.g. a 40 footer will have an overall length of 40'10" or some such.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #8

I always measured bumper to bumper.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
FWIW And, not to be argumentive, but, I would want my insurance to cover the entire unit, Not just the part I lived in. Gary also cleared up some confusion for me on the length. I think the width, as reported by the manufacturers, excludes the mirrors! Never have been able to figure that one out. Maybe Gary could shed some light on that one too.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagelpater View Post
I think the width, as reported by the manufacturers, excludes the mirrors! Never have been able to figure that one out. Maybe Gary could shed some light on that one too.
I'm not Gary, but the maximum legal width in many states is 102" with an exclusion for "safety related items" such as rear view mirrors that are allowed to protrude beyond 102".

We have a 102" wide RV, but the retracted awning protrudes beyond this width. So far, no one has noticed or said anything.

By the way, our model 36RE3 (36', rear entertainment center, 3 slideouts) 5th wheel is 37'7" long, per the brochure.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
RVIA now says manufacturers must measure the interior living space, not exterior length. This was to correct a problem in earlier usage, where travel trailer manufacturers were claiming the trailer tongue as part of the unit's length. For a Class C, the interior space includes the cab area (it is accessible from inside).
\

If going by interior space, then mine should be 21 or 22' foot then, because the part under the hood is really not accessible from the inside. (visible maybe, when doghouse is removed, but.....)
Old 04-17-2010, 08:01 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic1 View Post
hello folks
what is the correct way to measure a class c motorhome ? my insurance man says from front bumper to back bumper is this right? the only reason iam curious about it is because you can"t live in the cab to me thats wasted space other than to drive it down the road you do have the bunk above you but is this right. dave
That is correct but if you are taking a wa state ferry it is bumper to bumper. My class C has a 19 on the door light that is the length of the coach not the cab,