Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2016, 07:36 AM   #1

Pros and Cons on these Class C's

We are looking to purchase a motorhome . We need feed back so bad . We are in no hurry to purchase but confused . I do want the bunk beds or would like the bunk beds . We will tow a small car one day. We are looking towards a 31ft. We trying to decide on these.

Thor quantum
Coachmen leprechaun
Thor Chateau
Forestier by Forest River
We are wondering which ones to stay away from. I know they all have problems but hoping someone can shed some light to help us. I d like to know other ones experience with these models . Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2016, 12:30 PM   #2

This isn't on your list, but we have a Born Free and LOVE it!! It's a very high end camper, but we got one used at a very good price ($20k for a '99 w/43k miles). Drives better than our Honda, exceptional workmanship. Gives you a great feeling just being inside.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:51 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I cant comment on the particular models you mentioned but here is the feedback I can offer.

We own a 2012 Coachmen Freelander 32BH. We bought it new and love it. so far we have put about 16k miles on it towing a 2004 Toyota Corolla behind it.

When we travel as a family it gets tight at times, especially at mealtime, but we manage. Our kids are bigger (16 and 21) so that make a difference.

We are still very pleased with our coach.

Ed
Abilene, TX
Old 01-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #4

FWIW Coachmen is part of Forest River so 2 Thor and two Forest River models.

I did not check but they are probably all on the Ford E-450 chassis as that is all that is around and will handle the load. Watch that as there are levels. Probably moot but go for the heavier weight rating if there is a choice. Some dealers try the heavy house on light chassis game leaving you swinging for towed capacity.

That leaves the houses. As folks keep saying, floor plan, floor plan, floor plan. I would avoid a full wall slide if possible and I think it is. Too many reported problems with them.

After that it is trim level. I tend to think cabin in the woods not resort luxury condo so solid means more than glitz. YMMV. That said they probably do not have significantly different build quality but may have material choices associated with the price point. The more you spend the more glitz you get. Also look at *usable* clothes storage and tank capacities. There may be some choices there.

Last is service. If you are dealing with different dealers check reputations.

There you go, questions you can spend time poking at. You will hear a lot of good and bad about both companies. FR may have a bit of an edge there but not enough to matter given the other issues.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:48 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Blemaire-

A few questions:

1) Any prior camping experience? Any prior RV experience?
2) You mention wanting bunk beds. Why?
3) Will you be taking short or long trips?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #6

I just finished looking to move up from my 09 Winnebago 31N that has the dinette/fridge slide on the driver side with sofa on the passenger side behind the front passenger seat. It also has the queen bed slide on the rear passenger side. I like this arrangement since it provides me a large shower within the bathroom and a ton of interior storage.

Here are my takes:

If you are going to tow anything you need the E450 Chassis which is rated up to 5000 lbs, some new models like Jayco are rated up to 7500 lbs. The Chevy is only rated up to I believe 3500 lbs.

My Unit has the entry door towards the middle of the unit, I test drove a couple units with the door right next to the front passenger seat and there was a lot of road noise coming from the entry door, mine was a lot quieter due to the door placement. Drove my wife crazy during the test drive.

I really like the Azdel wall system used by Coachmen, I am really surprised more manufacturers have not moved to this, since it contains no luan plywood which if water penetrates the wall can cause delamination. Azdel is water resistant

Some manufacturers are offering the traditional style fiberglass above the the cab with a solid fiberglass cap as an option. I would recommend the fiberglass Cap option if you can afford it. Allows less seams to possibly leak in.

I think Winnebago is one of the few manufactures still using a Fiberglass roof, I really like my fiberglass roof and not the rubber roof. I've had some dealing with low branches that could have ripped the rubber roof. Of course I don't like the hexagon wall decals in Winnebago's new class C's. It's like they could not decide if the Motorhome should be retro or a traditonal interior.

Check where the TV is placed, I looked at one unit where I would have to turn my head to the side to watch tv when sitting.

Check to make sure you have plenty of drawers, One drawer is not enough for all your cooking utensils.

Check where the AC unit is placed. I checked out unit with the AC running and could not hear the tv. The AC was placed in the area right in front if the TV, I could not hear the tv when it was running.

Most important make sure when you are comparing units you are apples to apples on features/option. For example, I just looked at an invoice for a Four Winds and it had auto leveling jacks listed as no cost for some promotion from Thor where other Motor homes were showing a cost of $3500. Even with the leveling Jacks included it was less than the Coachmen without leveling jacks by the time they discounted from msrp at the same dealership.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Blemaire-

A few questions:

1) Any prior camping experience? Any prior RV experience?
2) You mention wanting bunk beds. Why?
3) Will you be taking short or long trips?
Yes we do have camping experience. I do bring my grandchildren with us and for now short trips that may turn to longer trips. Yes we had 2 5th wheel campers and one motorhome .
Old 01-13-2016, 07:42 PM   #8

Thank you so much . I will keep all this in mine .
Old 01-13-2016, 08:14 PM   #9
WDW

Not knowing which Dealers are close to you or worthy of your business, have t pitch the Jayco Greyhawk. It's at least worth your time to consider. I would not select the Thor but that is strictly how I feel about the local dealer.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:02 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Blemaire-

Thanks for answering my questions. It's clear you're deciding between manufacturers/models, and on that point I can't offer much advice.

We owned a Lazy Daze Class C for three years, trading it this year for a 31-foot Class A. We like the extra room. In that vein, I can offer this observation (as did "nothermark"): The Ford E350/E450 has a maximum rating of (depending on era) about 14,500 pounds. As coach length goes up, the amount of stuff you can carry ("CCC," or Cargo Carrying Capacity) goes down. This caps the practical maximum length of Class C coaches at around 31 feet. If you're already looking at this length, you may want to open your search to include Class A coaches of similar length. They are built on chassis with higher ratings than the E350/E450.

All the best in your search.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #11

FWIW there is one bunkhouse in each line you listed. That pretty much settles your range of choices. To get that size you will be driving an E-4Thor but that is like saying I like Ford more than Chevy.

Most of the difference will be the trim level and layout. Let's take another look:

Quantum - full wall slide

Chateau - full wall slide, tv position sucks

Coachmen leprechaun - nice slides, nice tv location

Forester - nice slides, nice bunk nook, tv will kill you.

There you go, buy the leprechaun. ;-)
Old 01-15-2016, 03:16 PM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
Not knowing which Dealers are close to you or worthy of your business, have t pitch the Jayco Greyhawk. It's at least worth your time to consider. I would not select the Thor but that is strictly how I feel about the local dealer.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York
Same here....another vote for the 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. We just purchased this unit in November and love it. Compared it to the Winnebago, Thor and others. It's at least consideration if you are looking for bunks.

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2016, 04:21 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG5UN View Post
I cant comment on the particular models you mentioned but here is the feedback I can offer.

We own a 2012 Coachmen Freelander 32BH. We bought it new and love it.
My neighbor has a 2015 Coachmen Freelander about this same size (32 foot) on a Chevy 4500 (6.0 engine) and loves it after a year usage. I've been through it helping him learn the systems and it seems like a well put together Class C.
He tows a large trailer with a large Harley without any problems.

He was told Coachman redesigned the cabover area to be constructed of aluminum - you might ask about that while shopping.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:10 PM   #14

FWIW I looked at the Jayco. It has the stiff neck TV mount. Automatic no sale for us.

Tags
class c