Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
I really miss our Class C. We had a favorite fishing spot at Levitt Meadows California. Our latest "A" wont fit. Wish I had a do-over.

Mike
Is that the Leavitt Meadows in Bridgeport, Ca?
J

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #16

Wouldn't a C be easier to get rid of than an A, and would not a diesel in either be the easiest to sell, though good luck finding a diesel C, holding tank size, refrigerator size and a useable bath would seem to be the most important areas for fulltiming, depending of course on what types of places you see yourself staying in.
How about renting the biggest C you can find for a few weeks just to sure you don't make a mistake-at the very least you would know how much it would cost to feed the beast.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
Wouldn't a C be easier to get rid of than an A, and would not a diesel in either be the easiest to sell, though good luck finding a diesel C, holding tank size, refrigerator size and a useable bath would seem to be the most important areas for fulltiming, depending of course on what types of places you see yourself staying in.
How about renting the biggest C you can find for a few weeks just to sure you don't make a mistake-at the very least you would know how much it would cost to feed the beast.
Maybe "easier" but you lose a lot of the original investment if trying to trade. Selling it yourself is an idea and maybe you won't lose as much, but if you have $40-$50K to spend on the initial investment and you find you want something larger in a year, you'll have to come up with the extra $ to make that happen. Try to get it right the first time is the smarter option. Also, trying to sell one yourself if you are fulltiming, where are you going to sit for months to do that?
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #18

Make sure that any MH you buy has a wheel base at least 65% of the overall vehicle length. See a passenger bus. That is good. See a MH with a very long overhang behind the rear wheels. Not good. This is for stability on the road and safety.

See with your own eyes that everything works in your new purchase wether it is new or used.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #19
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Get one of each. find a good friend that one of you has an A and one a C and trade off for different purposes. Just make sure they are as picky as you are. My buddy just did so I could be the mechanic. 50/50 To him is I pay for it and he uses it. But what are friends for?
Old 12-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #20

i've always encouraged a new buyer that is undeceided on A or C, to rent one for a couple of weeks to check out how they will like the unit. Starting with the class C should be first. As most buyers of a class C change to an A within a few years according to the people who keep those type of stats.

Duncan1
Old 01-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Goldwinger2, Yes that would be near Bridgeport Ca. We will stay at Mono village this year and take the jeep to leavitt.

Mike
Old 01-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
After reading all the comments I would like to add one thing.

DO NOT TAKE THE FIFTY THOUSAND AND GO A HUNDRED THOUSAND IN DEBT.

Only buy what it will pay for and nothing more. There are tons of good used coaches on the market now with the un employment bumping ten percent and folks losing their homes right and left. Be smart and take your time and really look around.

Good luck....... You are in for a heck of a ride my friend .........
Old 01-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #23

Rent then buy!

If you are asking about class C for full timing without having spent a lot of time on the road you may not have enough experience to make the choice.

Everyone here has their opinion, ours is class A.

But it is your choice, rent one of each, it is not cheap but the lesson is worth it.

My input to tilt towards class A

Look at the weight rating of EVERYTHING you review.

Next look at the suspension, does it hafe supplimentary air bags to increase the capacity of the original chassis?

Is there enough carrying capacity to carry YOUR STUFF?

You specified that you wanted a good amount of towing capacity, this requires a larger power plant.

Many class C (not counting the big truck type) are simply F350 or F450 cab chassis with a box attached.

Air bags are added to increase the load rating of the chassis, but the engine is going to be running at its upper load range in cruising conditions.

Switch to Class A, then also Diesel, the chassis is built for the weight, the engine has the torque to pull the weight and instead of using light weight materials for the cabinets the inside is built more like your house, strong heavy materials that will last.

Late model Country Coach have been seen in that price range, many other makes and models are too.

Considering the present economy and the amount of cash you have, a great coach could be found.

A gas Class C will be difficult to sell, the Diesel Class A a lot easier, depending on the deal you get you may not be in a loosing position.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
I would lean towards an A as well .. We are not full timers , but ours is a 33 foot gasser , and as bad as I want a DP , at the current time cant be justified ..

Fortunately ours is paid for ..

Mebbe I'm used to "space" but even with two people sometimes this one is "crowded" ..

We found out on one trip , that this one is definitely not for four adults
Old 01-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Purchase

Space is what you require over another. My DW and I requirer 45' class A with 4 slides. We could afford a 35' class A with 3 slides. A very long class C might work for you. My opion would be either a class A or a 5th wheeler. With the 5th wheeler you need a truck and your are in the cab for as long as you are driving. We like the class A for the comfort of driving and my DW to move around with the dog. Check for sale by owner, people are hurting and have to sell.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #26

Don't overlook the virtues of a fifth wheel. They can have everything that a MH contains. I have went from a tent,class B, TT, 5er in that order. Had my 97 KA built to order and have pulled it over 80K miles to date and it is in as good shape as the newer units. Both 5er's and MH have their advantages and diadvantages
Old 01-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #27

Thanks everyone for the great advice. We are now leaning towards a class A. Is $50,000 realistic for nice used shorter A? I want to go into this debt free but don't want something that will be a money pit.
Thanks again everyone from Bob and Laurie in frozen tundra. 72 straight hours of snow and 20 below zero temps
Old 01-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
I bought my 2004 34 1/2' Coachman Class A gasser with only 6700 miles for 51K 2 years ago. I have seen very nice units since then in this price range. If you are willing to travel to pick it up there are a lot of class A's out there. We got lucky & it was just down the street.

dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote