Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
Purchase question

Happy New Year everyone. Looks like DW and me are going to be fulltiming in 18 months or so as opposed to the 36 we previous thought . With all of your hindsight and expertise, which used class C MH would you likely purchase if you had $40-50,000 cash in hand? This forum has been a God send for us, thank you.
I'll be posting this question in a few other forums as well. (I really like the looks of the Phoenix Cruiser)
Thanks in advance.

BobinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
BobinMN to each his own. But I would be looking at gas powered class A's for fultiming. There are some very nice low mileage 32-36' class A's about 4-5 years old with slides out there for that kind of money. You don't loose as much living space as you do in the class C.
Welcome to the iRV2 forum, & congratulations on the soon to be retired. I am sure it will be here before you know it. I still have apprx 10 years before I retire.

Dan Sees, Full Timing in the MH & Part timing in a S&B In Hampstead, NC
2013 Winnebago Journey 42e, 2014 Featherlite Car Hauler 3110 17.5', 2008 Mazda MX5,
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome and congratulations on the changes headed your way!

Sorry for not answering your question directly but I too would be looking at Class A coaches for full timing. The question of gas vs diesel is another can of worms but Class A is a more popular choice for full timers.

Best of luck...

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
We've gone the C route and the A route and I would agree with all the above. More living space, more storage space, and a better ride overall.
2011 Berkshire 390bh
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Going "cash" is the way to go.....I have 5-6 years to go and would never think about taking out a loan for a RV, once in retirement..."Cash is King"....

So what can Bob in MN. find in the 40k to 50k range....?
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
You will notice that all the answers you have received recommending that you consider a class A come from class A owners, and I have to recommend the same. However, to answer your question if I were looking for a class C it would be a Born Free.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ , ISL 400
2014 Ford Explorer toad
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just to be clear, get what you want to get, but remember, if you do it's harder to come out financially if your 1st choice doesn't work for fulltiming. Trading it off for a larger unit will be impossible for you to recoup half of the original investment. What I'd recommend is to take a look at what you will be taking with you as you fulltime. Compare that "pile of stuff" to the storage and weight ability of the rig you are considering. Some other considerations:1. Are you keeping your home? If so how often will you return? 2. Are you going to store belongings in a storage unit somewhere?
We looked at a C class when we first started looking. Then we looked at A classes and realized the extra room was what we needed. We lucked out when we found our DP for the price we paid. That said, we renovated and improved almost everything before we started fulltiming.
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 300 Cat
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Officially fulltiming. The Journey Begins
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
We looked for a C because we have 4 kids and didn't want to remake a couch bed every day. It also has bunks. We also needed something diesel and with a 10,000lb towing capacity.

Its only 36' but with 2 large slides its plenty, but cost more than your budget. You can find very reasonably priced Used Class c's with slides though. They are definitely out there!

Edit: sorry misread the question. I went with Gulfstream. So far the experience hasn't been too bad.
97 LX450, Lockers, ARB Winch Bumper modified to be towed behind -
2010 Gulfstream SuperMax 37' Super C Motorhome- Sleeps 10
Running BlueOx LX7445 Towbar / wireless Patriot Brake sys
nwcanopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Hi BobinMN,
I know of an 04 Newmar Mountain Aire Gas coach, low mileage, professionally maintained and in excellent condition that is for sale in your price range. It is a Florida coach being sold for health reasons. If you would like more information, PM or email me..
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Go to an RV lot, park an "A" and a "C" side by side and spend a few hours in both of them. Open all of the storage compartments up and think about all of the stuff you will take with you. Really get a feel for the interior, slides in and out. Visualize yourselves on the road, for days and days, months and months in rest stops and campgrounds. Think about the comfort you need in good weather and bad weather. If you are going to tow a car, make sure you purchase a coach that can handle the load. The "A" is the way to go unless you can afford a Super C.
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For full timing, I'd go with a class A. actually, I prefer a 5th wheel and truck over all of them for long term use. We lived in a 34' motorhome for over 4 months and then a 36.5' 5th wheel for 51 weeks. The 5er wins hand down.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #12
We have very good friends that bought a Winnebago 1999 DP 35' a year ago for 32,000. It has run great for them. One slide. With more money you can get something better than that. There are a bunch of Safari's for sale in your price range that are big, simple, and sturdy.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #13
Monaco Owners Club
Lets see 11 responses and not one recommends a class C. Is that a clue.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ , ISL 400
2014 Ford Explorer toad
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I really miss our Class C. We had a favorite fishing spot at Levitt Meadows California. Our latest "A" wont fit. Wish I had a do-over.

2004 Monaco Monarch
Blueox, SMI, 1990 Wrangler YJ
mfire1339 is offline   Reply With Quote