Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #1

Purchasing a C Class

My husband and I will be getting a C Class motorhome in about 2 years. I noticed that you can finance them for 20 years. My husband will be 60 then. What are the chances for financing, or are we too old? As you can tell I am a newbie although I did borrow a C Class for a week and went camping and loved it. I also have very definite ideas about a floor plan. I want a u-shaped dinette, walk around main bed, and no TV in the cab over area due to grandchildren sleeping up there who will mess around with the TV. What are my options as far as my floor plan are concerned. Are they realistic? Has anyone ever purchased a C Class then "customized" to their liking, i.e. taken out the couch and put in a u-shaped dinette? I have no use for a couch since I never sit on ours at home. I will probably come up with more questions as time goes by, and I appreciate everyone on this forum for helping me out.
birdnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Should be no problem with financing due to age. As far as your floor plan is concerned, you should be able to find something pretty close. If you were thinking of buying new, Nexus RV will actually custom build a class c. And, their prices are comparable, or lower than most.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #3

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdnut View Post
My husband and I will be getting a C Class motorhome in about 2 years. I noticed that you can finance them for 20 years. My husband will be 60 then. What are the chances for financing, or are we too old? As you can tell I am a newbie although I did borrow a C Class for a week and went camping and loved it. I also have very definite ideas about a floor plan. I want a u-shaped dinette, walk around main bed, and no TV in the cab over area due to grandchildren sleeping up there who will mess around with the TV. What are my options as far as my floor plan are concerned. Are they realistic? Has anyone ever purchased a C Class then "customized" to their liking, i.e. taken out the couch and put in a u-shaped dinette? I have no use for a couch since I never sit on ours at home. I will probably come up with more questions as time goes by, and I appreciate everyone on this forum for helping me out.
Welcome to the group. I am 67 and financed our class c. You shouldn't have a problem with financing. The above suggestion is a good one, but also go to as many rv shows as you can in the next two years to see what is available. We have seen many with a circular type dining area. You may want to reconsider the couch for guests or the grandchildren. Great thing about campgrounds are the people and the "invites".
Old 03-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Birdnut and welcome to the forum. I don't know anything about financing, except to say that a lot of things can change in 2 years!! (In other words, what is possible today may or may not be in 2 years time.) Will you be buying a new moho or a used one? You can usually order a new unit and have it customized however you like. If your grandchildren will be traveling with you a lot you might want to consider a model with bunks. Good luck, and have fun shopping!
Old 03-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #5

While I have nothing against financing, I always caution to keep in mind these long term loans have some long term implications. You will be upside down for a VERY long time on the coach. We have recently been in the market for used coaches, and probably the #1 issue we've run into are the number of private party owners that are still upside down on 10-12 year old coaches. So think about if you want that liability at 72 years of age...

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello and welcome to iRV2, wishing you the best in your search for a Class C to fit you needs.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Have you looked at the Sunseeker 3010 from Forest River? Great u-shaped dinnette. Our friends have one and we love it when we camp w/ them.

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
Have you looked at the Sunseeker 3010 from Forest River? Great u-shaped dinnette. Our friends have one and we love it when we camp w/ them.
That is the exact one I was going to suggest. Almost went with that ourselves then decided bunks would be nice.

Welcome to the forums. Lots of helpful people here.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #9

BE SURE, you want the C class Before you buy!!! I purchased a 34 ft gasser MH and loved it but DW want more room..... Sold that one and purchased a 36 ft w/ slide....
she liked that one but wanted more room...... Sold that one and purchased a 36 ft 5th wheel w/3 slideouts and a Dodge dually diesel to pull the darn thing. Loved that one but was a PITA to set up and tear down and forget about stopping ang having lunch... always too hot or cold and with the slides in cramped to say the least.... Sold that one too and the truck ... purchased a 40 ft diesel MH double slide and we loved that one too. until we tryed to camp at some of the state parks, too big for some (not all) of the state parks we tried to get into. High dollar maintenance, insurance and huge payments got me to sell that one too...... I now have a 24 ft Born Free C class.
bought it used, tow a 2007 HHR and it is just fine for short periods of time say a week or so. Not one you would fulltime in...Look at several units, makes, models etc before you buy and save some money plus a lot of headaches....
Best of luck in your quest to RV. It is some of the best times we ever had.love ever minute of it.
Greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamFun View Post
That is the exact one I was going to suggest. Almost went with that ourselves then decided bunks would be nice.

Welcome to the forums. Lots of helpful people here.
Haha - wow, we started off wanting the 3010 because we love the u-shape dinette. But we also want bunks so now we're looking at the Sunseeker 3170.

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
Haha - wow, we started off wanting the 3010 because we love the u-shape dinette. But we also want bunks so now we're looking at the Sunseeker 3170.
The 3170 is nice but the galley is very small. Before purchase I looked at other floor plans that have a bigger galley. The way they achieve that is to cut down on the couch size. The 3170 we purchased came in at the right price plus met our needs and a few wants. Its nice not having to make the dinette or sofa into a bed each night.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #12

Carolina Campers
+1 on suggestion by Henryn, "go to as many rv shows as you can in the next two years to see what is available." My wife & I looked for about 4 years before we took the plunge.
skstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #13

my wife are thinking of buying one also new ...20 years along time tobe upside down....if you can lease one
tailpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Welcome to the RV community! I am helping my 78 year old father-in-law get into a brand new Class A. Now remember buying an RV is not like buying a car. Typically speaking if you have good credit you will need 20% of the price down (that includes if you trade something in.) If you have excellent credit you will need 10% down (also including trade.) Excellent credit is both a high number and a low debt to income ratio. Trade in doesn’t have to be an RV you can trade you car or in my case I traded in my truck. Another option is to go and get a cheap used RV for like $1000.00 wash it, vacuum it out and spray some air cleaner and take it in and demand $5000.00 for it. They more than likely will give it to you.

When looking at just about any RV you will find that there are several brands with exactly the same floorplan that you want. There are quality differences and unfortunately the quality usually follows the price… The good news is that you can get the television in the nose section and still have the kids sleep up there. In my coach the television is on an arm that swings out and everyone can watch the show and push it back when it is time to sleep. The number of options is mind boggling and the stuff to put in it is just as much fun. Haggling is fun too (for me anyway…) If you are thinking of getting into the market in 2 years you have tons of time to look at floorplans and I encourage you to look at every variant of your chosen floorplan.
Good luck!
Davinger is offline   Reply With Quote