Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2015, 12:08 AM   #1

Purchasing a Jayco 26XD..any comments?

We are looking to purchase a 2015-2016 26XD Jayco Redhawk Motorhome. We are satisfied with the length, living space and storage. While we realize that there is no perfect unit, there are two things that are a bit annoying. (1) Why didn’t they put a medicine cabinet in the bath? A cheesy mirror ….really! I am spending around $60,000 and I need to purchase a medicine cabinet. Yet, they are readily found in their less expensive trailer lines. (2) How many times have I heard it said at an RV show….. “If they only had 6 more inches of room at the end you really could get to the bed much easier.” The queen bed (on a slide) is more of a “squeeze” around at the end and just a bit more room would have made it top notch. (Design group wake up! Or perhaps “Bean counters” beware: quantification can compromise quality!)

FYI, we own a 2008, 25 RKS Jay Feather Trailer. Layout, quality of materials and workmanship were excellent. Plus, we have had to deal with very few problems throughout the years. We are even somewhat reluctant to let it go.
However, we probably do not feel quite the same about new Jayco Trailers. Wood often too darkly stained and cheap, fit and finish questionable, roof vents as rare as hen’s teeth (my Maxxair fan no more), questionable layouts, and my personal gripe….rock and roll - earthquake quake tremoring dinette tables! (Again, design group and bean counters beware!)

We felt the time for a Class C is now and want to give Jayco a chance. Comments on the Jayco 28XD appreciated.

Many Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 12:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinconTreks View Post
We are looking to purchase a 2015-2016 26XD Jayco Redhawk Motorhome. We are satisfied with the length, living space and storage. While we realize that there is no perfect unit, there are two things that are a bit annoying. (1) Why didn’t they put a medicine cabinet in the bath? A cheesy mirror ….really! I am spending around $60,000 and I need to purchase a medicine cabinet. Yet, they are readily found in their less expensive trailer lines. (2) How many times have I heard it said at an RV show….. “If they only had 6 more inches of room at the end you really could get to the bed much easier.” The queen bed (on a slide) is more of a “squeeze” around at the end and just a bit more room would have made it top notch. (Design group wake up! Or perhaps “Bean counters” beware: quantification can compromise quality!)

FYI, we own a 2008, 25 RKS Jay Feather Trailer. Layout, quality of materials and workmanship were excellent. Plus, we have had to deal with very few problems throughout the years. We are even somewhat reluctant to let it go.
However, we probably do not feel quite the same about new Jayco Trailers. Wood often too darkly stained and cheap, fit and finish questionable, roof vents as rare as hen’s teeth (my Maxxair fan no more), questionable layouts, and my personal gripe….rock and roll - earthquake quake tremoring dinette tables! (Again, design group and bean counters beware!)

We felt the time for a Class C is now and want to give Jayco a chance. Comments on the Jayco 28XD appreciated.

Many Thanks
As a former very happy former Jayco JayFlight TT owner I have one word for you about Jayco Motorhomes: RUN

However for your benefit I will elaborate more. Our Jayco TT quality was outstanding and we were happy with the unit. We made the mistake of purchasing a Jayco Greyhawk motorhome. Jayco does focus on items that you can see but cuts corners on critical items that you cannot. These are some things that you may wish to look into that Jayco did incorrectly or cut corners on in their motorhomes:
Incorrectly installed suspension components i.e. Hellwig suspension components installed too loose
Tankless hot water heater that can scald people when it hits the over limit due to a poor design
Residential carpet glued directly over the metal floor in the Ford cab with no insulation
Incorrect wire size used from the battery to the inverter
Multiple water leaks caused by holes in the roof membrane at assembly
Incorrectly installed screws in the exterior flashing
Leveling Jack system installed incorrectly (jacks installed too low)
Leveling Jack system leaking hydraulic fluid
Wiring installed unsecured in multiple places - potential for chafing and fire
115 V wiring mixed with 12 VDC wiring
unsecured plumbing
Incorrectly installed heat pad on freshwater tank potentially causing a fire
Fuel fill rubber pipe crushed by unsecured piping
Plumbing unsecured and rubbing against metal flashing which would cause leaks
Major propane leaks
Leveling jacks deploy while driving
Microwave failed
Converter failed
Battery disconnect solenoid failed
Front cap seal failed
Exterior clearance lights fogged up
Fuse panel inaccessible with slide room in
AC power cord failed
Water leaking inside of coach that the source was not identified
Main door jams closed and cannot be opened from inside or outside

This isn't a complete list. A final word of advice. We moved from a TT to a MH and didn't really understand the complexity of that choice. We ended up trading in the Jayco in for a diesel pusher motorhome which better suits our needs.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:32 AM   #3

I read the above post and then re-read the post several more times. It was painful to read about the problems you listed. And just yesterday, we were looking at the Jayco Class C MHs. We had way less problems when we tent-camped!

And so it goes.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxless View Post
I read the above post and then re-read the post several more times. It was painful to read about the problems you listed. And just yesterday, we were looking at the Jayco Class C MHs. We had way less problems when we tent-camped!

And so it goes.
so I'll add my story

when I was 17 I bought my first "c" motorhome

my dad says , those are a waist of money..
he said " I can go to sears and buy everything for camping...tent ,lantern. camp stove.. ect... when I leave , leave every thing there and still be money ahead
Old 06-26-2015, 12:06 AM   #5

We found that having a motorhome works better for us than a TT especially with our twin babies and 10 hear old daughter. We have my wife and two daughters and our son. We are able to easily stop for the night anywhere. We don't need to stop and find a bathroom. We have a safe place to change diapers eat food etc.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #6

We've had 6 motorhomes, and are on our third Jayco RV. The have by far the best workmanship of any of the brands that we've owned.

Any issues that we've had have been handled by the dealer, and / or the factory service center (they are great folks up there).

We didn't get the Greyhawk, as it just had too much "stuff", that we didn't need or want.... Levelers, in dash nav. system, tankless hot water heater, side view cameras, etc.

So, the Redhawk was perfect for us!

And, you can't beat the 2 year warranty!
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:51 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Been looking at MH for the past two years with experience owning a few TT. For the price the Redhawk has no value. Jayco provides many extras, but skips on quality. Looked at both the Grehawk and Redhawk extensively since we owed a Jayco TT in the past. Not impressed with quality for the price. It sounds like you are already complaining about the 26XD...keep doing your research.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:48 PM   #8

Hiya RinconTreks,

We're in our second week on the road in the 26XD, and all is still good. I really don't think that you can go wrong with this unit. Make sure that you negotiate the price down... There is A LOT of wiggle room in the price.

With a good price, it's a GREAT value! The construction, details, appointments, and the floorplan are excellent.

If you can, take the Redhawk Motorhome factory tour, you'll be amazed at the quality and detail. We researched a bunch of manufacturers and models before we choose this unit, talked to other owners, went to RV shows, and talked to RV techs!
The majority of the folks that we talked to felt that it was, as the last family owned, privately held RV company in the price class, it was the way to go.

The final point was for us... They are the only RV manufacturer that believes enough in their product to offer a 2 year warranty.

I think that you will really enjoy it!

Happy and safe camping!
Old 12-11-2015, 06:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
We've had 6 motorhomes, and are on our third Jayco RV. The have by far the best workmanship of any of the brands that we've owned.
Wow, that really makes me curious. What were the other brands?
Old 12-11-2015, 11:31 PM   #10

Ken, we've also looked at Winnebago, Forest River, Keystone, Nexus, Thor Siesta and a class B (Phoenix Cruiser - nice, but not enough storage).

In the end, it came down to the two year warranty. None of the other manufacturers thought enough of their own product to offer a two year warranty. Some of them seemed nice, but we were most impressed by what we saw at the Jayco factory, and our previous experience with their factory service, which was superb.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:48 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you like it, get it. No matter what you get, there will always be work, sort of like your stick home, you work on that too. I've had 7 RV's and I take pleasure in the work I do on them. Fixing a problem makes me feel better. It's not hard. If I can't fix it, I come here and find out how to fix it.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner

I wanted to reply to this first post. We just picked up our 2016 Redhawk 23XM. Drove it 3000 miles so far. Flawless and love it. Sorry to hear of this persons bad experience. We drove the 26X but liked the size of this. Perfect for us and all of the items listed in the first post do not exist on ours. Good Luck. Our interaction and experience with Jayco support has been superp so far.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Jayco

We have owned Jayco products and currently just purchased our first motorhome. We purchased a Jayco and see no cut corners. We looked at and researched most everything available in our price range and size. Perfect? No but I see a lot of extra measures and features not found in others. I had one misunderstanding concerning the 6 speed that I emailed to Jayco and received a reply from Jayco within an hour of the opening of business the following morning with confirmation that I had received what I wanted. Reasearch in depth and remember people love to complain. Not too many post with positive. So I speak up. My experience is very positive concerning Jayco products. Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:17 AM   #14

Our first motorhome was a Jayco Escapade . Never had 1 problem. We loved it. We sold it because we want something bigger. Another class C .

Tags
jayco