RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2017, 07:55 AM   #43

Mountieman....IMO there is no comparison between a Dynamax coach (pre Frorest River) and a Jayco Seneca. Those vintage Dynamaxs wer super coaches especially the 34' floorplan. They ran a little heavey but the chassis can handle it. I am with your wife, you blew a great deal if the Dynamax was in fatc is superb shape.

ragoodsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #44

ragoodsp... Thanks for helping the wife kick me... LOL The people who put the down payment on the Dynamax have until wednesday to complete the deal. If they do not then I am first in line.

When you say vintage Dynamax, what years would you be talking about?

Also you seem to have good experience with motorhomes and your advice is appreciated. Some people dont like advice but I am the type when I do not know a lot about something, I ask until I learn and know. Would you rate super c's for me? Lets have the top 5 brands in order please.

Ram-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:02 AM   #45

You are a wise man to listen to others since we have all been in your shoes at one time. Rating coaches is very tough but I will give it a try....the top 3 are really dead even...Renegade,Show hauler, and Haulmark. Pre FR Dynamax's (I would say up to like 2013) any Dynamaxs with curved sidewalls are the good ones. Jayco Embark's were nice and NRC Coach and Optima Coach. I would stay away from Nexus. If you can really stretch your budget to the max it is worth it. The less expensive coaches will rattle like hell and they are spected without air suspension or air seats and they ride like a Penski truck. Good luck possibly landing the Dynamax. Make sure all service records come with the coach.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:19 AM   #46

Thanks for the list. I know its tough especially after you get passed the obvious leaders which are a little out of my budget for now. Its hilarious you mentioned Nexus during this message because I woke up this morning with a voicemail and an email from the factory rep. I had inquired about them earlier in the search and now they are on me pretty good. They build a really good looking coach and have a really good sales pitch that makes you want to look deeper. When you say stay away from them, what is the reason?

I am not gonna get in a hurry and shoot from the hip. I am gonna take my time and find something that is recommended by you guys.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #47

I'll chime in on the Nexus with limited knowledge.

The house itself is no better and no worse than any other production Class C ie Thor, Forest River, Winnebago etc.

To me the major concern is the chassis. Although IH has been around forever, they are in financial trouble, their trucks are not being sought and service is more sketchy than Freightliner.

BUT, If they had a layout/floorplan, in a model I liked, I wouldn't let my negativity stand in the way.

It never ceases to amaze me how cheaply most production RV produced, but what amazes me more is that they actually stay together much better than theory would suggest.
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #48

So as a truck conversion owner, of a Showhauler. I can say that the real truck conversions are made better than the smaller Super-C or Std Class C. Mine has solid wood cabinets and trim for example. Yes as new they cost as much as the high end Class A MH's. However you can find a used truck conversion in your budget that will still be very nice and many years and miles of use left.

The bigger issue is the size, most truck conversion are 42-45 ft length. You stated your target was 34-40 ft range.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:17 PM   #49

One of the factory salesmen from Nexus called me today trying to sell me a new class c and in the price range I have they only offer a 300 hp engine. We argued for a while that bring enough power for what i want . This is getting frustrating. I have a wine appetite with a beer budget right now. I can afford to raise the budget but at my age and use I'm not sure I can get my moneys worth in use.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #50

With respect, if you have the money to raise the budget then I say live sir. In my opinion not everything if life needs to be based on what's financially optimum especially if you have the means.
Jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:18 AM   #51

Mountieman.....I do not envy you at all getting those high pressure sales calls! I honestly do not have any first hand knowledge of Nexus other than I looked over a used Class C's of theirs and i was just not impressed with the finished quality of the coach. i would agree with Ziggy that Nexus is in the same class as many of the Thor and Forrest River coaches and that does not impress me. International just jointed up with VW for chassis manfacturing so I would not be to concerned about their ability to stay in the market, there is no doubt that Freightliner under Mercedes has really taken over the market for the most part. I would still focus on the big three Super C's that offer atleast 350 HP. The ISB 300 is a super engine but I would have some concern abouts its ability to move a large Super C. My M2 with the ISL 350 HP does a decent job but it will not snap your neck by any means. best of luck with your search.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:31 AM   #52

Thumbs up Nexus build quality

"I'll chime in on the Nexus with limited knowledge.

The house itself is no better and no worse than any other production Class C ie Thor, Forest River, Winnebago etc."

You could not be more wrong...

Nexus has been building a superior house since day one. They are framed in steel - 72% stronger than aluminum/wood framing. They use Azdell instead of Luan though a few companies are starting to catch on to its inherent superiority.

The multi layer walls are vacuum bonded and Nexus was one of the first to use one piece fiberglass roofs with one piece end caps. They use Pex for their plumbing and all wiring is securely bundled. You should take a tour of their factory in Elkhart and see for yourself {I have}.

Thor {are you kidding me???}, and Forrest River cannot hold a candle to the quality found in Nexus, though the upper end Winnebago's are comparable from what I have seen.

I own a 2012 E-350 23P Class C so I have no experience with their Super C Chassis' but mine is built like a tank and the V-10, 5 speed Torque Shift trans is bulletproof. After 3.5 years and 33,000+ trouble free miles I can attest to their quality.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:53 PM   #53

I wanted to update you guys on my treacherous search for a motorhome. Switching back and forth from Class A to Class C numerous times to aggravating you guys to death to finally settling on on a Coach. I cut a deal with a guy tonight on a 2013 Jayco Seneca RB. I know its not the top of the line but its what we could swing at our age and amount of use its gonna get. My age meaning I'm only 52 not 92. The coach has not been purchased yet and won't be for about a 1 1/2 weeks so if there is something I need to know or be warned about, feel free to speak up. I dont wear my feelings on my sleeve. LOL
Old 01-12-2019, 12:31 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragoodsp View Post
Having had 8 motor coaches I feel I can pass very fair judgment....many manufacturers are making their coaches look very nice on the outside and inside but one has to really look underneath and in the walls to know what the construction quality really is. Having purchased coaches from the very large manufacturers to the very small the old saying of "buyer beware" really applies. While I realize some folks have good luck with Forrest River products I personally would not touch one, just read the complaints and what is more bothersome is the lack of resolution to customer problems and that fact is very disturbing. You get what you pay for in the end, having just come out of a Phoenix Cruiser I can say that small company makes a super product for the price. I am now in a new Renegade Verona and while I know they are pricey the quality of the product is like nothing I have observed before. Everyone has a budget I realize, but do not buy a coach just because it might be $15,000 (like Nexus) less than a comparable coach, there are tremendous differences that get covered up with the fancy paint and cheap interiors. Just my opinion folks! Good luck and be careful out there.
Hi ragoodsp,

Thanks for your reply on the Renegade post. By coincidence, as I was searching for E450 soundproofing info, I came across an old thread of yours on another forum. Would appreciate your thoughts on the following:

We would prefer to stay shorter, and have found floorplans that would work for us. The problem is they are on E450/V10 chassis because they are a bit longer/heavier than the Sprinter chassis will carry, say 28-30’.

I’ve assumed that any E450 will be a little noiser, which got us looking at Super C’s, thus the recent Renegade and Dynamax post.

Can you tell me how your Super C experience compares noise-wise with your old noise-mitigated E450? And are you aware of any E450 builds that are better insulated and quieter?

It is too bad there are not any 28-32’ cab-over class c’s on a chassis other than E450 or Chevy 4500 (other than 32’ Isata 5 30FW).

Thank you.

Fugawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, motorhome, motorhomes, quality