Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #1

Quality Class C Motorhomes

Fairly new to forum and am now thinking about Class A or Class C MH vs 5thwheel toy hauler. Have been doing research on Dynamax DX3 and Force, Jayco Seneca, etc. Want to Dealership the other day and saw the Dynamax and was not impressed given the cost MSRP approx. $300K and interior layout. Saw the Jayco Seneca and for the price seems to be a better deal. But wanted input as to construction quality and ride of these compared to other Class C. I am looking for unit that would be 35ft or bigger but under 40ft. I am also still undecided if DW and I will go to Class A or C but have a few yrs yet to make up mind. Any input greatly appreciated. My key criteria is build quality, customer service, and then interior...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #2

Consider expanding your search to include Renegade, Showhauler and Haulmark.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:56 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All very different RVs. You have a lot of shopping to do

I get dizzy after about the 4th of the same kind and have to take a break for about a month.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:30 PM   #4

Phoenix is well respected. They build factory direct as well
Old 08-18-2016, 09:52 PM   #5

Thanks MSMLC I will take a look at them.

As for the others (Showhauler, Renagade, etc.) did look at them and very nice choices but also very expensive
Has anyone driven a high end class C and also a class A? If so can you talk to the ride of each.... Does the class A have a smoother ride then the C?
Old 08-18-2016, 09:58 PM   #6

Jayco Seneca fits my needs

I researched a lot of MHs before I purchased a jayco Seneca last year.. It drives like a big car. Lots of towing capacity, easy to maintain. The duramax has lots of power, the Allison transmission in smooth. Lay out is ok. All the comforts of home...
Old 08-19-2016, 12:07 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quality Class C Motorhomes

Take a look at Born Free. They range from 21 feet to 34 feet and up to the Ford F550 or Dodge 5500 chassis. There are gas or diesel options as well. They have one on the Mercedes chassis too but it likely is well below what you are looking for in terms of space.

They are very friendly to talk to. Very good quality interiors and exteriors. Its a true molded Fiberglass exterior rather than the Luan / Filon sandwich of most RVs and the cabinets are all real wood. I've seen them in person and know others with them. The only RV I know of that has roll bars and as a result, no fatalities.

I just don't quite have the pennies to buy one now but will when I do have it.

I had a Chinook Concourse before what I have now and I miss the quality.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:33 PM   #8

2nd the Born Free Suggestion

I currently own a 28' Born Free in their Rear Side Bed Model and previously owned a Chinook Destiny.
The build quality and mfg. support from their Humboldt, Ia plant is outstanding.
If you are looking for quality in a class C at a fair price, you would do yourself a favor by checking out their web site.
I would also recommend you check out the Born Free owners web site: www.bornfreervclub.org. You dont have to be an owner or member to visit and can get a lot of great info from born free owners.
Good Luck
John
Old 08-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #9

Take a look at Nexus...

Nexus has a couple of Super C's that might interest you. Nice high quality coaches offered factory direct

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:36 PM   #10

Also looking at Super C's

I've been doing a lot of research lately regarding Super C's. We have a 20' trailer @ 7k lbs we'll be pulling along. I started with the Jayco Seneca but, it only has a towing capacity of 5k (I know the hitch is rated at 10k but, the GCVWR is only 5k over the GVRW). The Dynamax has the larger ISC engine and will actually tow up to 15-20k lbs. Interior build quality, fit and finish is also considerably better on the Dynamax units. Renegades and Showhaulers are another step up from there in build, power and price. We're trying to stay under $200k out the door so we'll be looking at gently used units.

I've never driven a Class A but, I think we'll prefer the safety and serviceability of the Super C.
Clayhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayhammer View Post
I've been doing a lot of research lately regarding Super C's. We have a 20' trailer @ 7k lbs we'll be pulling along. I started with the Jayco Seneca but, it only has a towing capacity of 5k (I know the hitch is rated at 10k but, the GCVWR is only 5k over the GVRW). The Dynamax has the larger ISC engine and will actually tow up to 15-20k lbs. Interior build quality, fit and finish is also considerably better on the Dynamax units. Renegades and Showhaulers are another step up from there in build, power and price. We're trying to stay under $200k out the door so we'll be looking at gently used units.

I've never driven a Class A but, I think we'll prefer the safety and serviceability of the Super C.

Thank you for the input and I have seen both the nexus and dynamax online and do like the nexus so far but need to see them in person.
Going to the Hershey show so hope to see a lot of models and floor plans to narrow the choice some
Old 09-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
billyf-

If you find yourself looking at non-Super Class Cs, you may want to look at the Lazy Dazes (Motorhome Dealer | Low Profile Motorhome | RV Manufacturer | Quality Motorhome). Our last coach was a 1997 27-foot mid-bath. People said they were well-made, and after crawling under and through just about every part of ours I can agree. Lazy Daze only sells new coaches direct to the customer. Most current LD owners purchased theirs used.

Lazy Dazes aren't for everyone. As with the Born Free folks, they have a very loyal following.

LD makes a 31-footer. (Non-super) Class Cs seem to top out around 31-32 feet, the low end of Class A lengths. This is mostly due to the chassis differences (Class C has the Ford E-series, mostly, and Class A gas the Ford F53, mostly).

Per your post #5, our former Class C and current Class A have differences in the way they handle, but they are small. The newer coach, with the five-speed transmission and larger tires, is a bit easier on the ears and butt.

If you find yourself intrigued by the Lazy Daze, send me a private message with your contact info and I'll send e-mail or "ring you up."
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #13

Well, I misspoke regarding the 5k towing for the new Senecas. We had looked at the 2013's a while back which is limited to the 5k but, the 2016 and 17 models have ISB Cummings that are rated at a higher HP and torque than the one's we looked at a few years ago.

We stopped in our local Camping World today and took a look at a couple of the new units on the lot and was pleasantly surprised at the improved specs. The new units are rated at 340HP and 700 Lb Ft torque which allows for 10k of towing (as long as your still under GVRW).

I apologize if my earlier post sent anyone in the wrong direction.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:37 PM   #14

A little more info to keep it muddy...

The 2017 unit we looked at today had weight rating sticker in the passenger side door jamb. In a nutshell, it states the actual build weight of that particular unit as it came from the factory and includes the weight of full fuel and propane tanks.

This unit came in at 20,864 lbs.
GVWR is 28,000 lbs
This leaves 7136 lbs of stuff (people, cargo, water, and tongue weight of the trailer).
The GCWR is 33,000 (combined weight of the rig, all cargo and what's being towed).
Therefore, if we want to tow 10000 lbs, we have room for 2136 lbs of cargo, water and tongue weight. Full water will be 593 lbs and the tongue weight of a 10k lb trailer will be ~1000 lbs. That leaves 593 lbs available for people, pets, food, cloths and all the other stuff/supplies. A flat toad will not have this much tongue weight which would allow you to bring more "stuff".

Tags
class c, motorhome, motorhomes, quality