Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2015, 08:09 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
It may be possible to find a local independent RV shop that's worth it's salt. I've dealt with 3 in Houston, and only 1 of them I trust, but I had to find out the hard way the other two weren't completely honest.

As to leaks, any any any mushy wall should be looked into right away. Look for bubbles in the wallpaper, and push your finger into it. It may honestly not be the end of the world, and even some delimitation is not the end of the world as long as it's stopped. On the other hand, it could turn into a nightmare (like this -> The hits just keep on coming!

I had a small leak at my drivers windows that soaked some of the luan. Found it to be a bolt at the roof. It was sealed, the water stopped, the luan dried up, stayed bubbled, no one cared, including the person who bought the unit from me - it never affected anything, just cosmetic. ( nothing's perfect )

Not sure where you are located, but if you could find someone who knows about these things to go with you to look, might not hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhart View Post
Thanks for that input. Since I may buy a long way from home I'll query the forum for a good independent RV service center. I'd rather have a set of eyes that knows just where to look. I'll be able to see the obvious stuff. I think the warranties are not long enough to ask the factory for service history. Even most Porsche dealers hold back bec of privacy issues. It just occurred to me that like a high dollar car you should be able to demand service slips. I'll backtrack to the mechanic that worked on the RV and ask if there were any issues aside from normal servicing.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 11:51 PM   #16

One name, Lazy Daze.

Want to know the quality? Look at a 20 year old one.

Research the owners. Incredibly loyal.

I have a 24 year old Lazy Daze. No creaks, squeaks or rattles. No deafening wind noise. These things are solid.

Seriously, take a look.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:04 PM   #17

i would say the top 3 brands rated the best overall quality class c:
Born Free
Lazy Daze
Coach House

I happen to own a Born Free and the quality is top notch. Do yourself a favor and visit the Born Free owners web site. Check with the people who own them and see what they say.

bornfreervclub.org

good luck
john
Old 07-10-2015, 07:26 PM   #18

Quote:
I finally have time to do an RV. I would like to spend $50K more or less on a Class C. I donít want to tow and want the flexibility of a 25-29 footer or so. Iíll do either diesel or gas.

Question 1: Can I get the opinions of you long timers on the best 6 or 8 models that have the reputation over the years as being ď One of those really good coachesĒ?

Iím hoping to NOT precipitate a war of words between members. I know opinions will vary and this may be helpful to other readers.

Question 2: How many miles get to be too many. I restore vintage Porsche cars and know that if a coach sits around for 50 weeks a year it will deteriorate. Maybe even more than driving down the road here and there.

Thanks in advance for your help. I just joined and will be glad to be directed to earlier threads from the past.
R
I just bought a 2015 25' montera.. rear queen bed , single slide... basement storage.. gen and roof air....large fridge.. sleeps 6 reclining swilvel rocker...

all for 56k out the door..i had a sales tax credit so I didn't have to pay sales tax
Old 07-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #19

Bill
It seems LD owners really love them. I'm looking for a 3-7 y.o. coach with a U shaped dinette. I restore vintage Porsche cars and I know age makes a difference. I just wish Lazy Days still made rvs.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #20

Lazy Daze still very much DO make RVs. I don't know why someone might have told you otherwise.

http://lazydaze.com

In fact they are made to order and demand is so high right now that there is an 18 month lead time for a new one.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:08 PM   #21

Look into Coach House. They are a family owned business that sells factory direct. The largest they make is just under 27 ft. They are built with a solid one piece fiberglass shell so they age extremely well-no leaks or rattles. Coach House does have used units but you can also find owners selling them online. Check the CH website to get an idea of the available floor plans. They only use Ist class materials and equipment-no particle board.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:07 AM   #22

Damn. And Lazy Days is close to me in Socal. I did a search on RVtrader and the newest LD for sale was a 2000 or so. Thanks for info all.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Damn. And Lazy Days is close to me in Socal. I did a search on RVtrader and the newest LD for sale was a 2000 or so. Thanks for info all.
Here's a really nice 2004 Lazy Daze in Ft.Bragg, Calif.

2004 26.5' Lazy Daze
Old 07-12-2015, 11:51 PM   #24

I'm going to be semi full time and want something with a different floor plan. Thanks for the link.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:54 AM   #25

Maybe Coach House has a floor plan more suitable. Born free plans are not much different from Lazy Daze.

So quality may not be your highest priority then...
Old 07-13-2015, 11:33 PM   #26

I've done some reading on LD and am impressed. I just want something newer and different. But I guess your zinger in pretty on target. I want as much quality as possible once I find the style I have in my mind as my semi permanent home. (Of course I'm ignoring the little voice that keeps telling me I'll completely refigure after a year as many people do) :(
Old 07-14-2015, 01:07 AM   #27

It's common. People will come in and ask, "what's the BEST rv". And then the answers come in, "such and such, and it costs $300,000"

The the inquirer says, "whoa, I only want to spend $5,000"

So it might be better to look for models or plans that fit your needs, maybe get it down to two or three makers who offer what fits. Then ask, "which of these three has the better reputation"?

The more research you can do the more you will feel comfortable with your decision.

There are so many choices you will easily find something you like. They are all fun.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:58 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
It's common. People will come in and ask, "what's the BEST rv". And then the answers come in, "such and such, and it costs $300,000"

The the inquirer says, "whoa, I only want to spend $5,000"

So it might be better to look for models or plans that fit your needs, maybe get it down to two or three makers who offer what fits. Then ask, "which of these three has the better reputation"?

The more research you can do the more you will feel comfortable with your decision.

There are so many choices you will easily find something you like. They are all fun.
That's a really good angle. Also of note, the dealer network for some of the makes mentioned here is remarkably small. That might play into your decision when you need service?

Tags
quality