Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2015, 05:36 PM   #1

Quality Recommendation...

I finally have time to do an RV. I would like to spend $50K more or less on a Class C. I don’t want to tow and want the flexibility of a 25-29 footer or so. I’ll do either diesel or gas.

Question 1: Can I get the opinions of you long timers on the best 6 or 8 models that have the reputation over the years as being “ One of those really good coaches”?

I’m hoping to NOT precipitate a war of words between members. I know opinions will vary and this may be helpful to other readers.

Question 2: How many miles get to be too many. I restore vintage Porsche cars and know that if a coach sits around for 50 weeks a year it will deteriorate. Maybe even more than driving down the road here and there.

Thanks in advance for your help. I just joined and will be glad to be directed to earlier threads from the past.
R
rhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2015, 09:47 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's a tough one....

Everyone's version of "quality" is a little different.

Can I ask a couple of clarifying questions?

1. Is interior "prettiness" more important to you over mechanics? Vice Versa? or both?
2. Do you care about the body condition all that much? As in Yes, I want a great paint job, or, heck, it could look like it's been in the sun for years as long as everything works!

I think if you could find yourself a Forest River Lexington, you might find yourself a good coach. It seems to me that forest river is sort of phasing the lexington brand into the forester GTS brand as of late - and there are a few used units on RVT.com and RVtrader.com.

I might consider a few used Minnie Winnie's but I would ask carefully once you narrow down a model and year. Ask questions of the specific model prior to purchase.

I would think that any Jayco or Coachman would serve well too.

A fleetwood tiago would be on my list to look into.

Here ya go right here
2007 Forest River Lexington Grand Touring 300SS, Class C RV For Sale in Sunnyside, Georgia | Sunnyside RV Sales & Service MH9665 | RVT.com - 116893

Might also look at forest river forester and sunseeker, although the sunseeker i think is the lesser of the brands in forest river.

ooo here's another one 2008 Forest River Lexington, Class C RV For Sale in Mission Viejo, California | RV Seller Network R114224V | RVT.com - 111084

I would not put thor, four winds on my list unless someone had really great things to say about a specific model/year.

Try THIS search -> 08 and up, 50k or less
Class C - New & Used RVs for Sale on RVT.com - Page 1 of 17
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:38 PM   #3

When speaking of miles I meant mainly on the engine. I want a fairly nice coach so they don't run me off as a deadbeat from an overnight spot that isn't in a campground.

I'm mainly looking for this type info: Fleetwood is level B and Winnebago is level A type info since I don't know the players.

Thank you for your response.
R
Old 06-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhart View Post
When speaking of miles I meant mainly on the engine. I want a fairly nice coach so they don't run me off as a deadbeat from an overnight spot that isn't in a campground.

I'm mainly looking for this type info: Fleetwood is level B and Winnebago is level A type info since I don't know the players.

Thank you for your response.
R
Well a DP can go A LOT of miles. Like in the hundreds of thousands, but it's only a single component in the system. Things like Air Bags and brakes usually need attending to before the engine wears out.

Gas engines are exactly what you expect... after certain miles, they need to be rebuilt.

I'll try to help more with your other question...

You have three things to consider.

1. Year Group
2. Trim Level
3. Price level

Example - Winnie used to be considered one of the tops... but from 12-15, they haven turned out some serious pigs on their high end DP's. Lot's of irritated 150k plus customers.

What I mean to say is, that each manufacturer had great years and bad years, and with specific regards to specific model line ups.

So over the years, the bay of pigs, and the winners.

that being said, each manufacturer makes low, middle, high - with no regard to which might have been the pig of the bunch.

So then next what we do is we take your ideal budget, and begin to look around at what's available in that range. Then shut out all of the pigs, hopefully being left with some good candidates.

For class c - the 50k budget is going to open up the "it was made during the vietnam war" up to about 08-09 - I would be looking in the 07-08 year model range.

In the 08-09 year range, the economy tank really hurt the rv industry. Buyouts, and out of businesses happened all over - this is why you won't find a lot of 09-10 year models.

So there might be some really great 08 models where the manu is no longer in business.

Fleetwood has been slaying it! They just bought up both the Monaco and the Holiday Rambler brands, and they have great support.

Winnie has aligned with Camping World

Forest River never stops! Amazing, they just keep at it.

So then

I would class Fleetwood, Jayco, Forest River on the same level as each other. But only when you match trim for trim. You would never compare a sunseeker to a Melbourne, they just aren't the same level. Nor a Tiago to a freelander.

As you search around, you'll start to spot what's going on. Starting with full body paint or not. Full body paint is usually going to signify a higher trim level 99% of the time.

Example - this Jayco Melbourne 2008 Jayco Melbourne 29C, Class C RV For Sale By Owner in Hemet, California | RVT.com - 71615

Or even this Coachmen Lep 2009 Coachmen Leprechaun 320 DS, Class C RV For Sale in Altamonte Springs, Florida | Superlite | RVT.com - 91059

That being said, both Winnie and Fleetwood never did a full body paint class C in those years, but the Tiago is a highly regarded solid machine, albeit, looks like your grandpa's class C.

Dynamax is going to make your diesels, you'll be hard pressed to find a nice one under 100k.

So then - in this order would be my playbook. I'd buy a lexington so fast your head would move as the breeze came by.

Forest River (lexington), Fleetwood, Jayco, Coachmen, Holiday Rambler, Winnie/Itasca (in those years)

Forest river support is good, if not great, I'm told. Even holding rally's with techs on site twice a year.

Fleetwood support is awesome, this I know from experience.

Jayco has been at it a long long long time, with a great support network, and nifty machines.

Ditto Coachmen.

And in the end, NONE are perfectly ideal. None are perfectly mechanical. Nothing will be 100% of everything you ever dreamed. I learned long ago to get over perfection, and just point the nose of the machine in a direction, and go.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:45 PM   #5

Excellent post and info!

This is most helpful. Ironically I’d looked at both the links and liked both coaches. Just didn’t know “I should”.

To make sure I understand…
The River Forest model I should concentrate on is the Lexington
The Jayco model is the Melbourne

For Coachman the Leprechaun is too large. If I want to stay 27-29’ is the Freelander the best lux model in that size?

Fleetwood is the Tioga?
Holiday Rambler the Augusta?

Am I close? Thanks again for the MOST helpful post.
The Lex seems to really appeal to me. Placebo? ☺
Old 06-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhart View Post
Excellent post and info!

This is most helpful. Ironically I’d looked at both the links and liked both coaches. Just didn’t know “I should”.

To make sure I understand…
The River Forest model I should concentrate on is the Lexington
The Jayco model is the Melbourne

For Coachman the Leprechaun is too large. If I want to stay 27-29’ is the Freelander the best lux model in that size?

Fleetwood is the Tioga?
Holiday Rambler the Augusta?

Am I close? Thanks again for the MOST helpful post.
The Lex seems to really appeal to me. Placebo? ☺
Yeah, you are spot on.

Ok, so imagine it like this...

A few years back, Forest River made the "Sunseeker" and the "Forester" Both almost identical with the Forester having ALL the options and upgrade, and the sunseeker of lesser goods, but otherwise the same. Both with a big cabover.

Someone over at forest river saw the melbourne and liked the "GTS (grand touring)" which had no cab over - slicker front.

Forest river copied quickly making basically a forester with a GTS front and full body paint, and called it the Lexington.

Years later (14/15/16) they decided to make a "forester" in a GTS, and from talk over on the forest river forum, the company is going through some "model shifting".

I think they simply realized (finally) that they had too many dang names, it's like a mine field navigating them... so they are working on combining some brand names.

Hence the new GTS Forester, which is essentially the lexington of today, and once they get their feet wet with it, will probably nuke the lexington name.

So therefore, when you look years past, the Lexington will be the only nomenclature used for a GTS front and full paint. In later years you will see both, and I have a feeling in the future it will only be the Forester.

As to Jayco and Coachman, both are still with their current "brand names", so you can visit their site and easily see the differences between new versions of the same model they have been making for quite some time.

Fleetwood still makes the Tiago and the Jamboree in both a high level model and an entry level model each. The Jamboree Sport (84k), The Tiago Ranger (84k), The Jamboree Searcher (68k) and the Tiago Montara (68k) - you can easily compare the differences on their site.

SOMETIMES the current year models will at least give you some sort of clue as to what is (read was) entry level, and what was high level with model names or included features.

Sometimes, they nuke old names completely, making it difficult to discern what past model names represented.

So in the Jayco lineup, the Greyhawk is widely popular. New and used. Very tight middle ground machine. The melbourne is similar, but has the GTS front and guess what??? Full body paint.. wonder who copied who... The Seneca is the Diesel version, and the redhawk being the entry level.

Later year Jayco's have a suspension touted as the J-Ride - from what I hear, it works very well. So something to consider there. Only on the greyhawk and the melbourne.

I wouldn't want to bust even 27 feet in a C, certainly not more than 30', I agree that a 38 feet class c is ridiculous.

I don't know if you have kids or not, or how you travel, but my wife and I found that, for us, the smaller the better. We looked at a lot of sprinter style rv's - and not only was the quality of the house depressing, the lack of comfy furniture coupled with the lousy views and depressing "no sunlight" interiors sent us packing.

So coming from a 40' DP, we ended up in a 27 foot trailer that honestly fits us perfectly. The way I see it is this.. I only have one butt, and I can only sit in one place, and I always sit in the same place. So as long as I have one comfy place to sit, with a good view, I'm stoked. Our couch / dinette is comfy to use as a table, and makes an awesome wrap around couch when you let the table down. Big enough for both of us to spread out in any lazy direction we want. And with windows galore all around. Bed... is a bed. Commode is a commode. Got both? Check!
Old 06-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #7

Most helpful. Again. I tried going to the websites of the various manuf. But due to many model changes I could not figure out which models were strippers and which had all the options. Since I have a budget of 50K or so I’m forced to look at 08-09 years and 6 or 7 y.o. coaches have more or less distilled down to roughly the same price give or take. Hence one can’t figure out which the higher end model is on price alone. Too bad there isn’t a book that shows all this.

Like you I was initially attracted to the Sprinter class but just too tight. Only two of us and the dog but we may spend a month or two at a time in the rv. We rarely use campgrounds and prefer boondocking and quick overnights. Hence the 26 or 28’ size preference. No toad so bigger is too big. Gas mileage of sprinter diesel is compelling but even at 10,000 miles a year 16 mpg vs 10 mpg is only $1,200/ year. A tiny price to pay for 24/7 comfort and superior ambiance.
Most people would be well served to re-read this last line. I know this mantra well and yet I still have to remind myself how little the gas mileage really matters in the overall expense of rvs and cars .

Your kind breakdown on the model lineup will be immensely helpful in the search. Then it’s a matter of finding a private seller whom has installed all the helpful little gadgets and upgrades, worked out all the issues, leaks etc. Seems like all the helpful history and passion is lost once a person trades in a coach.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:39 PM   #8

Besides the cost of the Sprinter class "C" that you mentioned there is also the reduced CCC compared to the Ford/Chevy chassis to be considered.
I initially wanted a Forest River MBS but since I want to full time in it, the cargo capacity difference was nearly 2,000 pounds (don't remember the exact figures) difference. I will now buy a 2301 or 2291 on a Chevy chassis. Personally, I think the FR forester line of "Cs" has a lot of features for a relatively low price.
swuebbels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:48 AM   #9

If you want to do further research, buy the MotorHome Comparsion Guide. Amazon has it and you can buy the online version as well. Costs about $60 but well worth it as it rates all Class A,B,B+ and C Mfg's both in and out of business for the years 2006 and up and by high, mid and entry levels. It also provides a background on each company and provides useful general info.
bailer6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:38 PM   #10

The truth of the matter is that the rigs your looking at all have the potential to be really great rv's. Lexington, Melbourne, Aspect, ect, all have good features and layouts.
The sad part is the lack of pride in the workmanship and quality control. It's a crap shoot---you can have two identical units, built one right after the other, on the same day, by the same workers. One can come off the line with almost no problems at all, while the other will be a rolling lemon.
We have a 2012 Lexington 283ts, and I truly believe it was built on a Tues or Wed, mid morning, when the workers were still fresh and cared about what they were doing. Have had virtually no problems as far as quality. Had to tweak a few things here n there, re-routs some wiring and water lines to my satisfaction, and have made some mod's to "better" it.
As always, go over whatever you choose, with a very fine tooth comb. Always check out all the systems, and not for just a few minutes. Let everything, ac, genny, water heater, fridg, run for awhile. And, as everyone will tell you, check every inch of wall/floor area for tell-tale signs of leaks.
All of the later models of makes I listed have "fiberglass" roofs, which are really a composite of fiberglass and plastic. Fairly watertight, but can be prone to developing small cracks. Easy enough to repair, lot easier than tpo or rubber roofs.
Just look at it the way you would be looking at a used Porsche, that you may or may not have to throw money into.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:11 PM   #11

Thanks for the book info Bailer. I was hoping there was something that out there. I'm on it.

I think you are spot on Grumpy. It had occurred to me a few days ago that on some level I'm tilting at windmills. For exactly the reason you mention above. That is why I made the comment about finding a passionate 1st owner selling a rig he is proud of. Even then there may be issues in the development stage. Is there a class of mechanics or place generically that can do a pre purchase inspection. The only place I can think of in Camping World and I'm not sure that wouldn't be a roll of the dice on who you pull for a mechanic. Any place that doesn't start off with a conflict of interest?? Are there shops aside from CW that specialize in RV's?
Thanks Guys
Old 07-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #12

Not really, at least not like an independant who looks at cars. Your best bet is to check with friends or co-workers that have rv'd for awhile, and who have some backround in the operating systems of an rv.
If your car savy checking the chassies and running platform is the same as any other car/truck.
Check the body as you would check a house and it's systems, only one that moves, twists, and bends. Leaks and delamination (water gets between inner and outer walls causing them to start to pull apart) are your worst concern and can be costly to fix. Personally, I would just walk away from one that had a leak issue. A lot of what you'll be looking at is just a common sense judgement. If it dosen't feel right, it probably isn't.
Camping World is a crap shoot, probably 50--50 as to which ones are good and bad. Again, personally, I won't walk into a Camping World, and would never let a CW work on my rig. If you can find a good independant rv service center you would be a lot better off.
CW are high priced, service can be really lousey and in a lot of cases, not done right. Visit Motorhome Magazine Forum, sponsered by CW/GS. You will see how many are fed up with CW.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:36 PM   #13

Thanks for that input. Since I may buy a long way from home I'll query the forum for a good independent RV service center. I'd rather have a set of eyes that knows just where to look. I'll be able to see the obvious stuff. I think the warranties are not long enough to ask the factory for service history. Even most Porsche dealers hold back bec of privacy issues. It just occurred to me that like a high dollar car you should be able to demand service slips. I'll backtrack to the mechanic that worked on the RV and ask if there were any issues aside from normal servicing.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:02 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, the manufacturers I would pick don't even build a Type C MH.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality