Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #1

Question about the cab over sleeper (bed)

Hi all , new member here, considering purchasing my first Class C, likely a smaller one, in the 22 26 ft. range. Regarding the cabover bed, how comfortable is it for an adult, 61 in height? And is there enough ceiling height to use a single wide air mattress up there?

Im considering a 10 15 yr. old RV, and if the beds are worn or not comfortable, Id like to just use my single wide air mattress. I havent checked out any RVs yet, just photos.

I may be doing some alone traveling, and wherever the most comfortable sleeping area is, Id like to maybe use the air mattress there, and do quick rest stop naps when needed. Currently, the air mattress in the back of my 6 pickup bed, along with a fluffy extra sleeping bag, is very very comfortable. I have a bad back and cant use some of the uncomfortable folding RV beds.

Any info appreciated, JT

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2015, 01:20 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

JMHO: The overhead bunk in a class C wouldn't be comfortable for anybody over the age of 10. Just getting up to it could throw your back out and if you're in pain you might never get out without help.

Most times for one person, the dinette/sleeping area , would be to best place and an air mattress there, would work like a charm.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:38 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm almost 49 and my DH is 56 and we have zero issues getting in and out of the overhead bunk area. Ours is 8' width across and 6' deep so plenty long and wide .

The only draw back is you can't sit up in bed to read.

I have a queen walk around bed but prefer the foam mattress overhead . Next year my walk around gets an upgrade to memory foam.

2006 Four Winds 28A, Ford V10, E450 Toad 2000 Geo Tracker.
DogNPonyshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:44 AM   #4

Thx Skip. I had a feeling that the top bunk may be designed more for kids, so like you said, maybe the dinette area would be better.

Knowing this, maybe I'll look for something that has a bed in the rear that would take the air mattress.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:10 AM   #5
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
We owned a Toyota 21ft. Because the pickup truck portion wasn't as tall as other truck bodies, the Toyota had a lot more headroom than a typical Class C.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #6

Bunk

Make an excellent entertainment center
Old 09-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a 23' Tioga Class C with the Dodge 360 back in the late 70's. It had rear bunks for the kids.

We took out the two cushions in the overhead sleeper and put in an air mattress. These days I think the new foam mattress would be even better. We loved the sleeping area. It was just fine for both of us.

We took a long trip from MI to ME in 1978 with my Mom (65) sleeping in the bottom bunk. Our Son was on the top. Our young daughter slept at the foot of our overhead bed and of course we slept up top also. We traveled from Detroit to Bangor ME then down to Bar Harbor. We took the boat (8 hour ocean ride) from there to Yarmouth Nova Scotia. Traveled all around there then on to Cape Breton Island, back to Bangor then on to home. A very comfortable and memorable trip.

There was plenty of room in the overhead bed. We are only about 150 lbs and 5'8" tall but there were three of us up there also. We always felt that the Tioga had better sleeping arrangements for more individuals than any other MH we've ever had. Our 1999 34' DS only slept 2 comfortably. The kitchen dinette is not comfortable and way to short. The fold out beds take up to much room in the kitchen area. The jacknife beds are awful. Our current rig is not much better for sleeping but then there are only the two of us. Any guests we have can stay at the closest Motel or campground.

TeJay
Old 09-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dinettes turned into beds are too short for me at 5'9" to sleep comfortable. The jackknife soda beds are survivable if you put a memory foam topper on them.

2006 Four Winds 28A, Ford V10, E450 Toad 2000 Geo Tracker.
DogNPonyshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:05 PM   #9

Thanks folks. It's good to hear different opinions. I've been hearing good things about the memory foam mattresses, but haven't tried one. I've been using air mattresses for years in tents & in my pickup truck, and they can be very comfortable with the right amount of air pressure.

It sounds like the overhead bunks can vary in size and headroom, so I'll just have to be sure to try the beds in any unit I look at, to make sure there is at least one good spot that will work with me having back problems.

Traveling alone, it would be nice to use a bed in the back, or up top, so I could leave the other furniture intact.

JT
Old 09-08-2015, 07:57 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
You hit the key to happy traveling. We've had 23' 34' and now 31' MH's. We traveled with as many as10 (8 adults & 2 kids) 2 dogs, 2 cats or as few as just us and the two pets, on trips as long as 1,800 miles.

We always had the best bed. We were the oldest and we owned the darn thing. Nobody argued. Anytime you open up the couch, dinette or JK bed it's constant confusion until they are put away. I'm up early making my coffee. The kids like to sleep late. I'm ready to hit the road by 8-AM (at that time in my life) they'd be ready to leave by noon. We did a lot of compromising but we loved traveling with the kids and GK's. Now in retirement it's our coach.

When our Daughter saw our new rig for the first time she ask us where she would sleep. My answer was, "The nearest cabin or Motel. End of discussion. Both kids make more $$$$$ than we ever saw. They can afford it.
Actually this month we're going to Branson for our GD's 16th BD. We have a camp sight and they rented a cabin. All will be well.

Enjoy your choice!!!

TeJay
Old 09-09-2015, 08:54 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2015 Minnie Winnie 23' and the overhead bed was comfortable for me and plenty of room (I am 5' 11"). The mattress could have been softer (well, it is new), but I managed.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote