Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
demoon's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 817
Cannot stress enough the importance of the floor plan. Good quality, poor quality or somewhere in between, none of it makes any difference if you end up not liking the floor plan.
__________________

__________________
Neil, Lin, and our furry companions, Ashby and Cody. 06 National Surf Side.
demoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Maddawgs's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
Cannot stress enough the importance of the floor plan. Good quality, poor quality or somewhere in between, none of it makes any difference if you end up not liking the floor plan.
This is some of the best advice so far. After all is said and done buy what you are going to be happy with because after you have bought it happy or not you will pay for it. Do long test drives that include highways at highway speeds in traffic for at least 10 miles. This shows how other vehicles will affect your RV's handling. Drive on regular roads that include hills and turns in moderate traffic for at least 10 miles. This will show how well the transmission, acceleration, and braking will work. Park in an area where you will be out of the way like a parking lot or an open area at the dealers lot. start the generator and let it run. Is the noise level inside the RV high or acceptable (you will hear some noise). Now leave the generator running and try out all the electronics. If it has leveling jacks deploy them and see how they work. Next if it has slide(s) deploy them and see how they work. They should have a nice smooth movement with no stops or skips and should move out evenly. Turn on the AC and see how it works. Deploy the crank up antenna. Sit on the couch and turn on the TV and watch it for a few minutes (you may have to adjust the antenna but you should be able to get a local channel), is it comfortable. Try out the dinnete, can you squeeze in and out ok. Get in the shower and pretend you are taking one. Can you fit and move around ok? Lift the seat on the toilet and sit down. Do you feet touch the floor, are you comfortable, do your knees hit the bathroom door? Hop up on the bed and lay down. Is the mattress ok, are you going to be good to sleep on it? Turn on the bedroom TV. Do you have a good viewing angle? Open all doors, drawers, and cabinets. Do they have good resistance so they don't fly open while you are driving. In our search of over a year we looked at hundreds of class C's from several different manufactures. We found that all of the floor plans and at first glance seem deceptively similar but there are differences and the key is finding the one that works for you. We found that quality of build was most important to us so we did make compromises on floor plan but it works for us. Good luck in your search.
Todd
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Todd, Shirley, and the Maddawgs Buster & Precious
2011 Itasca Cambria 30C
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NE
Posts: 86
Great advice, Thank You
__________________
tacomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
 
TXiceman's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Full Time, TX Home Base
Posts: 17,150
Blog Entries: 21
Maddawgs, yes, the floorplan has to work....BUT if it is in a poorly built coach,you will not get to enjoy the unit much.

Personally, I feel you are better off buying a 4 to 5 year old unit that is a higher end product than a new entry level unit. The bugs have been fixed and the big depreciation is gone.

Ken
__________________
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Maddawgs's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Maddawgs, yes, the floorplan has to work....BUT if it is in a poorly built coach,you will not get to enjoy the unit much.

Personally, I feel you are better off buying a 4 to 5 year old unit that is a higher end product than a new entry level unit. The bugs have been fixed and the big depreciation is gone.

Ken
Hi TXiceman,
I could not agree more that is why we chose build quality over floorplan. We made a few compromises on a floorplan that works for us, it is not perfect but we are good with it. We had found one where the floorplan was almost perfect but the build quality was terrible. Your suggestion of a 4 to 5 year quality built unit is also very good. Our choice was to buy what we hope is our last RV first so we bought new and at the top of Winnebago's class C line. I believe that this is among the top quality of class C's and should (with proper maintenance) give us many happy years of camping.
Thanks, Todd
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Todd, Shirley, and the Maddawgs Buster & Precious
2011 Itasca Cambria 30C
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Horizonchase's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs View Post
This is some of the best advice so far. After all is said and done buy what you are going to be happy with because after you have bought it happy or not you will pay for it. Do long test drives that include highways at highway speeds in traffic for at least 10 miles. This shows how other vehicles will affect your RV's handling. Drive on regular roads that include hills and turns in moderate traffic for at least 10 miles. This will show how well the transmission, acceleration, and braking will work. Park in an area where you will be out of the way like a parking lot or an open area at the dealers lot. start the generator and let it run. Is the noise level inside the RV high or acceptable (you will hear some noise). Now leave the generator running and try out all the electronics. If it has leveling jacks deploy them and see how they work. Next if it has slide(s) deploy them and see how they work. They should have a nice smooth movement with no stops or skips and should move out evenly. Turn on the AC and see how it works. Deploy the crank up antenna. Sit on the couch and turn on the TV and watch it for a few minutes (you may have to adjust the antenna but you should be able to get a local channel), is it comfortable. Try out the dinnete, can you squeeze in and out ok. Get in the shower and pretend you are taking one. Can you fit and move around ok? Lift the seat on the toilet and sit down. Do you feet touch the floor, are you comfortable, do your knees hit the bathroom door? Hop up on the bed and lay down. Is the mattress ok, are you going to be good to sleep on it? Turn on the bedroom TV. Do you have a good viewing angle? Open all doors, drawers, and cabinets. Do they have good resistance so they don't fly open while you are driving. In our search of over a year we looked at hundreds of class C's from several different manufactures. We found that all of the floor plans and at first glance seem deceptively similar but there are differences and the key is finding the one that works for you. We found that quality of build was most important to us so we did make compromises on floor plan but it works for us. Good luck in your search.
Todd
Todd, you always offer some sound advice! Glad I read your replies.
__________________
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Maddawgs's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
Todd, you always offer some sound advice! Glad I read your replies.
Hi Jim,
Thanks, I owe most of what I know to the experience and advice of the posters to these forums. The rest is just common sense.
Todd
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Todd, Shirley, and the Maddawgs Buster & Precious
2011 Itasca Cambria 30C
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:40 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Horizonchase's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs View Post
Hi Jim,
Thanks, I owe most of what I know to the experience and advice of the posters to these forums. The rest is just common sense.
Todd
Just want you to know that when we returned from Bar Harbor, Me. on Friday we passed a CG called Sea Vu ( I think) in Wells, Me. I remembered that you told me that you were going to Wells on Friday and wondered if in fact you were just arriving while we were heading home!
Todd, I have been reading about leaky tire valve extenders. What would you reccomend to facilitate checking tire pressure and adding air?
Thanks!
__________________
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:15 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
OSP1268's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 524
All good advise so far, & I would like to add my 2 cents worth. Having owned a class "C" many years ago along with several other pull behind RV's, we now have a class "A" 32' motor home. In my opinion for whatever it is worth, take a look at a class "A" in the same length as a class "C". I believe you will find more usefull space inside and better floor plans, also more storage.
__________________
R & E
No RV at the moment
OSP1268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Maddawgs's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
Just want you to know that when we returned from Bar Harbor, Me. on Friday we passed a CG called Sea Vu ( I think) in Wells, Me. I remembered that you told me that you were going to Wells on Friday and wondered if in fact you were just arriving while we were heading home!
Todd, I have been reading about leaky tire valve extenders. What would you reccomend to facilitate checking tire pressure and adding air?
Thanks!
Hi Jim,
Yes Sea Vu is in Wells. They were just down the road from us. We were just past the McDonald's and just before the mini golf at Wells Beach Resort. A beautiful campground that I would highly recommend. We were just getting there at around 3 on Friday.
If you don't currently have valve extenders and can check your pressure with no problems then you should be ok. Winnebago does include the short steel valve stems as standard equipment. If you are thinking of getting extensions to make checking pressure easier then I would suggest not getting them. There are some people who have them and have been lucky enough that they have not had any problems but the majority do have issues with leaking. I would instead suggest the brass or chrome replacement valve stems from Borg. I got mine thru sixrobbles.com. If you do a search for Borg tire valves you should be able to find them. There is also a similar system from tireman.com (might even be the same Borg valves). These are probably a more expensive option at about $120 for a complete set for the rear duals. There will also be a cost for having them installed. I paid $56 at Pete's tire barn in Shrewsbury. Just about any truck tire center should be able to do it for you. This is something that Flagg RV will not do. I know that this seems expensive but I would not recommend them if I did not have them myself. They will also be required if you plan on adding a TPMS system in the future.
For checking and adding air my recommendation would be one of the 400 RV series from VIAIR. We have the 440PRV. These include a top quality heavy duty compressor and all the attachments you will need in a nice fitted case that weighs less than 20 pounds and will fit in one of the smaller bays on a class C. Mine came with 60 feet of hose, a top quality tire guage, and various fill adapters all with quick connectors.These compressors come out of the off road world and are built to last. I got mine on Amazon.com for about $245. Yup I know, expensive but I buy the absolute best quality I can and I generally only have to buy it once. You could get away with a cheaper 12 volt compressor and a good quality truck tire gauge for under $50. Hope this helps you out.
Todd
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Todd, Shirley, and the Maddawgs Buster & Precious
2011 Itasca Cambria 30C
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:32 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Horizonchase's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs View Post
Hi Jim,
Yes Sea Vu is in Wells. They were just down the road from us. We were just past the McDonald's and just before the mini golf at Wells Beach Resort. A beautiful campground that I would highly recommend. We were just getting there at around 3 on Friday.
If you don't currently have valve extenders and can check your pressure with no problems then you should be ok. Winnebago does include the short steel valve stems as standard equipment. If you are thinking of getting extensions to make checking pressure easier then I would suggest not getting them. There are some people who have them and have been lucky enough that they have not had any problems but the majority do have issues with leaking. I would instead suggest the brass or chrome replacement valve stems from Borg. I got mine thru sixrobbles.com. If you do a search for Borg tire valves you should be able to find them. There is also a similar system from tireman.com (might even be the same Borg valves). These are probably a more expensive option at about $120 for a complete set for the rear duals. There will also be a cost for having them installed. I paid $56 at Pete's tire barn in Shrewsbury. Just about any truck tire center should be able to do it for you. This is something that Flagg RV will not do. I know that this seems expensive but I would not recommend them if I did not have them myself. They will also be required if you plan on adding a TPMS system in the future.
For checking and adding air my recommendation would be one of the 400 RV series from VIAIR. We have the 440PRV. These include a top quality heavy duty compressor and all the attachments you will need in a nice fitted case that weighs less than 20 pounds and will fit in one of the smaller bays on a class C. Mine came with 60 feet of hose, a top quality tire guage, and various fill adapters all with quick connectors.These compressors come out of the off road world and are built to last. I got mine on Amazon.com for about $245. Yup I know, expensive but I buy the absolute best quality I can and I generally only have to buy it once. You could get away with a cheaper 12 volt compressor and a good quality truck tire gauge for under $50. Hope this helps you out.
Todd
Totally agree with the above statement Todd. I have bought cheaper stuff in the past only to have it fail and then I go out and buy the better item afterwards thereby having wasted the initial expense of the first purchase! I have jotted down on my "must buy" notepad the VIAIR RV air compressor, & the Borg valve extendeners. Really appreciate you telling me where you had it done and how much. At least I had get an idea. I'll be saving my pennies to to that come early Spring of next year. Again, my thanks!
Yeah, we were on our way home at 3:00 p.m. when we past Wells Me. Funny thing is, we left Searsport at 10:15 am and didn't arrive home until 7:00 p.m.!! We took scinic Rt.1 South home and stopped along the way home. ( Old Orchard Beach).
__________________

__________________
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.