Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #1

Question regarding leveling using blocks

Hello

When leveling the rear tires on the RV I have noticed some folks only put leveling block under 1 of the rear tires. What I mean is even though each side has dual tires, rather than put leveling blocks under both tires, they just put it under one and have the other tire hanging off the ground unsupported.
I was worried this would put too much stress on the one tire/lugs etc.

Is it OK to level just one of the rear tires on a duelie?

Thanks
-James
Rockyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #2

I'm like you and question this practice. To my mind it just doesn't make sense to over load one tire and make it do all the load carrying on a set of duels, and leave the other one to take it easy and do nothing. But to each its own. I just know its something I would avoid if I could.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:10 AM   #3

James
For exactly the reasons you stated, I would take the extra time and boards to support both tires...it just makes sense to me. Less stress on one tire as far as belts and cords go, less pressure on wheel studs and mounts.
Just my nickels worth(no more pennies in Canada)
Cheers
Rick T.
wowlites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi, When leveling your coach you should put blocks under all 4 tires in the rear and NEVER put just under the outside dual tire.

When my coach is parked at the house alongside my garage I put wood under all 6 tires to protect them from dampness and not just for leveling. It so happens that I have to use the blocks to level one side in order to use refrigerator.

Repeating again always put blocks under all 4 rear tires when leveling.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #5

I knew enough to put blocks under both duellies if the leveling required it, however I never heard putting blocks under ALL the tires regardless.

Maybe its b/c we don't spend a inordinate amount of time camped? One week tops.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:11 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
I knew enough to put blocks under both duellies if the leveling required it, however I never heard putting blocks under ALL the tires regardless.

Maybe its b/c we don't spend a inordinate amount of time camped? One week tops.
Camping for a short time is not when blocks are needed under all tires, it is during the time it is in storage that you need to keep all the tires off the ground, concrete, whatever. You should also have tire covers on all the tires to help with premature UV and weather aging. Properly cared for tires will last about 6 years, unprotected and not properly cared for their useful life is definitely shortened, and at $250 and more you want them to last as long as possible.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #7

Thank You for the replies.
Regarding some of the comments about storaging the RV. I should have pointed out that I was questioning the usage/practice of lifting only one of the rear tires while we are on an RV Trip. Usually not more that 2-4 days.. I was hoping folks would say "for a short amount of time its no necessary to life both rear duelies at the same time". The reason I ask is... Well...If it wasn't necsassary to lift both tires I could remove some of the leveling blocks to free up some needed space.
So .. To be clear I am not wondering about long term storage, but for short 2-4 day stays..What are your thoughts about lifting only one tire on a duelie.

I know we wont all agree, and I am not trying to stir a debate. As always you ALL have GOOD POINTS that I like to consider and help me decide.

Thanks again for your feedback.
-James
Rockyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I carry a trenching shovel and a few blocks. Normally concrete or asphalt pads are fairly level. When parking on gravel pads I use the trenching shovel to dig holes for the high side to level the unit. Makes the unit more stable and lowers the overall height.

I always fill in the holes when I leave as a matter of courtesy.

Makes you wonder why they would develop the pads and not make them level??
Old 05-27-2014, 03:58 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyroad View Post
Thank You for the replies.
Regarding some of the comments about storaging the RV. I should have pointed out that I was questioning the usage/practice of lifting only one of the rear tires while we are on an RV Trip. Usually not more that 2-4 days.. I was hoping folks would say "for a short amount of time its no necessary to life both rear duelies at the same time". The reason I ask is... Well...If it wasn't necsassary to lift both tires I could remove some of the leveling blocks to free up some needed space.
So .. To be clear I am not wondering about long term storage, but for short 2-4 day stays..What are your thoughts about lifting only one tire on a duelie.

I know we wont all agree, and I am not trying to stir a debate. As always you ALL have GOOD POINTS that I like to consider and help me decide.

Thanks again for your feedback.
-James
Sorry, my fault for getting side-tracked, when I have to put up 1 or both sets of duals I always put blocks under both tires. I carry enough blocks that I can raise all rear tires up to 3 inches. I too do not believe in putting all the weight on one tire, even if it is for only one night. BTW, I do not have a tag axle, but if I did, I would add more blocking to raise it also.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:04 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I carry a trenching shovel and a few blocks. Normally concrete or asphalt pads are fairly level. When parking on gravel pads I use the trenching shovel to dig holes for the high side to level the unit. Makes the unit more stable and lowers the overall height.

I always fill in the holes when I leave as a matter of courtesy.

Makes you wonder why they would develop the pads and not make them level??
Must be a very big, strong shovel for digging up concrete pads Seriously though, I have also dug up areas to lower one side, but now that I have back & leg problems, digging like that is beyond my ability, hence the large amount of blocking I carry.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:33 AM   #11

Why would I need to keep all my tires up off the gravel or driveway that my motorhome spends the majority of its time on?
Old 05-27-2014, 08:47 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpere View Post
Must be a very big, strong shovel for digging up concrete pads Seriously though, I have also dug up areas to lower one side, but now that I have back & leg problems, digging like that is beyond my ability, hence the large amount of blocking I carry.
LOL - Grandpere; For concrete pads I recommend a backhoe with breaker!!!

For gravel pads a trenching shovel is very handy. It is only about 4 - 5 inches wide and seems to work very well in gravel. It is sometimes called a track shovel. Works very well for the triaxle 5er we are currently using.

Going to a tandem/tag so may have to rethink/re-engineer the process. Will find out once the MH is here.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Why would I need to keep all my tires up off the gravel or driveway that my motorhome spends the majority of its time on?
Rumor I was told that the compounds in the tire and the concrete react to reduce tire life.

They have successfully incorporated asphalt and rubber for road surfaces. Tests with incorporating cement and crumbed rubber from tires have shown an incompatibility in chemical composition.

Recycling of Waste Tire Rubber in Asphalt and Portland Cement Concrete: An Overview - ResearchGate

For the time it takes a few pieces of plywood under the tires would not be a bad idea.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Rumor I was told that the compounds in the tire and the concrete react to reduce tire life.

They have successfully incorporated asphalt and rubber for road surfaces. Tests with incorporating cement and crumbed rubber from tires have shown an incompatibility in chemical composition.

Recycling of Waste Tire Rubber in Asphalt and Portland Cement Concrete: An Overview - ResearchGate

For the time it takes a few pieces of plywood under the tires would not be a bad idea.
Well I just learned something new.
vanion2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling