Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #15

Ok i hope im reading that wrong... but it says it would take me 32+ hours to charge that battery?! that doesn't seem right... i have to be reading that wrong.
I also have one of these laying around that i can use. Will that work Better then the built in one? I have an electrician friend that can wire something up probably that i can use that instead of the built in charger if its any better. I am on a totally Shoe string budget here sadly. And i am going to have to do everything Piecemeal. (I was completely blindsided by the becoming homeless thing)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #16

As a suggestion, and I don't know your limitations, but you might check with a local campground to see if you can be of some sort of assistance to them in exchange for your RV hookups. Maybe just answering the phone and being a host at the desk.
Good luck and hope you get through this hard time.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
As a suggestion, and I don't know your limitations, but you might check with a local campground to see if you can be of some sort of assistance to them in exchange for your RV hookups. Maybe just answering the phone and being a host at the desk.
Good luck and hope you get through this hard time.
Sadly, Due to some Youthful Indiscretions and an overzealous prosecutor i have a criminal history which is part of the reason why i am in this situation. I haven't been able to get a job since about 2001... I could do not labor intensive work but most jobs of that type wont Hire an Ex Convict :( Also most Government agencies won't either.
I have checked at a few campgrounds but they are either fully staffed or i must have a clean background check which is not possible.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Magyar View Post
Ok i hope im reading that wrong... but it says it would take me 32+ hours to charge that battery?! that doesn't seem right... i have to be reading that wrong.
You will want to begin charging at 50%, so you can take off the first 15 hours as the chart starts at 0%. Your battery will be smaller so will charge quicker than the graph. I'll estimate 4-5 hrs from 50% to 85%. Whatever it will be, you'll find out soon experimenting. Just remember, right after removing a charger, and there is no load on it, it will show above 13v. Anything over 12.7v is known as a surface charge. (12.7v is a fully charged battery after surface charge is gone and no load on it). You need to wait about an hour after charging for the surface charge to dissipate. Taking a reading then will show the true state of charge. Check that info on that site I gave you.

Quote:
I also have one of these laying around that i can use. Will that work Better then the built in one? I have an electrician friend that can wire something up probably that i can use that instead of the built in charger if its any better. I am on a totally Shoe string budget here sadly. And i am going to have to do everything Piecemeal. (I was completely blindsided by the becoming homeless thing)
After looking at the manual and specs, I really doubt it. It gives no actual output voltages. When your battery is down, try it. If the voltage reading is upwards of 14v, then it would be better. Good luck.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you can fit a pair of GC-2 Golf car batteries (six volt in series) on the rig, even if it means a new battery box, that is your best bang for the buck.

IF NOT, then find a Trolling battery (Wal-Mart) or a 12 volt Golf Car battery..

These are all Deep Cycle batteries. The difference between a deep cycle and a starting battery, is this.

Starting batteries are designed to deliver a hunk of power all at once, (For like 30 seconds) but in truth, not all that much power I mean 120 amps for 30 seconds is what, 1 amp hour, that's all, one amp hour (This is what it normally takes to start an engine). For a 75 amp hour Group 24 that's not much power.

DEEP CYCLE batteries are designed to deliver at a much lower rate, for a much longer time, as much as HALF the Power they hold, for the self same battery size I just used that would be 37.5 amp hours, also 37.5 times the power.

If you take a starting battery INCLUDING A MARINE/DEEP CYCLE down to the half way point,,, they object by dying faster, much faster. and thus end up costing much more. When compared to a true Deep cycle battery.

So, stick with Trolling or Golf car batteries.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
If you can fit a pair of GC-2 Golf car batteries (six volt in series) on the rig, even if it means a new battery box, that is your best bang for the buck.

IF NOT, then find a Trolling battery (Wal-Mart) or a 12 volt Golf Car battery..

These are all Deep Cycle batteries. The difference between a deep cycle and a starting battery, is this.

Starting batteries are designed to deliver a hunk of power all at once, (For like 30 seconds) but in truth, not all that much power I mean 120 amps for 30 seconds is what, 1 amp hour, that's all, one amp hour (This is what it normally takes to start an engine). For a 75 amp hour Group 24 that's not much power.

DEEP CYCLE batteries are designed to deliver at a much lower rate, for a much longer time, as much as HALF the Power they hold, for the self same battery size I just used that would be 37.5 amp hours, also 37.5 times the power.

If you take a starting battery INCLUDING A MARINE/DEEP CYCLE down to the half way point,,, they object by dying faster, much faster. and thus end up costing much more. When compared to a true Deep cycle battery.

So, stick with Trolling or Golf car batteries.
Sadly i can only afford around 100 bucks initially "Maybe" a little more. and the golf cart batteries cost around 100 each so out of my price range. Right now i am looking at 2 different batteries each cost about the same and have similar AH Ratings. was wondering if any of you guys had experience with either.

1st one is a Duralast 27DP-DL

The Second one is a walmart Everstart MAXX-29DC
Old 10-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Both of those batteries are marine batteries. As I said earlier, you don't want them. As many times as you will be deep cycling your battery, (running down and charging up) they won't last long. Again, do not get anything that is not a true DEEP CYCLE battery or you be throwing money out the window.

Batteries that have CCA rating (Cold Cranking Amps) are starting batteries. You need a deep cycle, which do not have CCA. They have AH ratings which you need a 100+ AH.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Both of those batteries are marine batteries. As I said earlier, you don't want them. As many times as you will be deep cycling your battery, (running down and charging up) they won't last long. Again, do not get anything that is not a true DEEP CYCLE battery or you be throwing money out the window.

Batteries that have CCA rating (Cold Cranking Amps) are starting batteries. You need a deep cycle, which do not have CCA. They have AH ratings which you need a 100+ AH.
Well if i hold out for true deep cycle i wont be able to get any.... thats kind of my predicament. to get 2 golf cart batteries i would have to spend 200 dollars. i have 100..... i could get 1 but then i would only have 6 volts so it would serve no purpose.
now these batteries have 12 month free replacement guarantees on both of em so even if i wear them out in less then a year i just take em back to the store and poof i get another one... if they last more then a year its worth it because by then i could have bought 2 of the golf cart batteries. I'm on a fixed income so yeah...
I have searched and searched and searched some more but i can't find ANY true deep cycles that i can afford....
Old 10-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
It all comes down to compromise. Currently your output needs exceeds your wattage requirements and budget. You can use the laptop and get by with the batteries you can afford but it will impact your video editing options. Seems the battery suggested is your best option for funds available but it will not suffice for your pc use so there are trade offs. You may still be able to find a used laptop with a bit more horsepower and a swap on Craigslist to do your editing and extend overall battery life. Many laptops can handle video editing. I do so currently, even in HD. It's free to post and try for the swap. I see examples that can meet your needs for $200-300 on Craigslist that selling your PC will offset possible difference.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Well Wes, you can only do what you can afford right now. The Maxx is the better of the two, so get that one. Good luck to ya.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wal*Mart or Costco would be my choice for a reasonable battery. Might not be the best, but it won't be the worst and the price will be OK as will the warranty.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #26

Ok and that leads to another question. how do i know when to stop using my batteries? i found a nifty calculator for how much time i would get for a given amphour but im not sure if thats till when the battery is fully dead or not :( from what i understand i never want to drop the battery below a certain voltage or 50% of the batteries capacity. how would i calculate that? and if thats the case do i cut the Amphour listed on the batteries in half for my uses? If i where able to get a volt meter of some sort installed at what voltage should i stop using the batteries at? and so on.
thanks in advance and thanks for all the help so far!

-Wes-
Old 10-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
You can buy devices that tell you what individual appliances use in watts and amps. You can buy a Tri- Metric device which will tell you everything that's going on in your 12v system ($250). You can also look at the specs for each appliance.

None of these are going to be accurate unless you know the AH of your battery. Since you are buying a starting battery, all this is out the window. As I said before, you need a volt meter and manually check your battery accordingly. I know you're scientifically trying to calculate all this, unfortunately you can not do this without experimentation or with the proper high expense equipment.

With a deep cycle battery, for longest life, you do not want to discharge it much below 12v. A starting battery is designed to put out a lot of amps in a short period of time, then be recharged quickly by the 14.5v by the alternator. I do not know how deep you can discharge a starting batt continuoisly before damage is done. I do know it will be MUCH less than a deep cycle. Discharging a starting batt too much over 7-10 times will render it usless. Most deep cycles are good to 1000 times.

You have what you have and what you can afford. If the battery you bought goes dead, hopefully the warrantee will hold up based on how it was used and maintained.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
You can buy devices that tell you what individual appliances use in watts and amps. You can buy a Tri- Metric device which will tell you everything that's going on in your 12v system ($250). You can also look at the specs for each appliance.

None of these are going to be accurate unless you know the AH of your battery. Since you are buying a starting battery, all this is out the window. As I said before, you need a volt meter and manually check your battery accordingly. I know you're scientifically trying to calculate all this, unfortunately you can not do this without experimentation or with the proper high expense equipment.

With a deep cycle battery, for longest life, you do not want to discharge it much below 12v. A starting battery is designed to put out a lot of amps in a short period of time, then be recharged quickly by the 14.5v by the alternator. I do not know how deep you can discharge a starting batt continuoisly before damage is done. I do know it will be MUCH less than a deep cycle. Discharging a starting batt too much over 7-10 times will render it usless. Most deep cycles are good to 1000 times.

You have what you have and what you can afford. If the battery you bought goes dead, hopefully the warrantee will hold up based on how it was used and maintained.
Ok, You are Confusing me somewhat, The batteries i am looking at say they are Deep Cycle/Marine batteries. but you say they are starting batteries... which one are they? If it says Deep Cycle doesnt that mean its deep cycle?

Tags
battery