Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2010, 02:45 AM   #15

Triple E Owners Club
Tripe E. They aren't a big name. But they're big on quality and customer service. Also if you're looking for a well insulated Class C, the Triple E is designed with that in mind.

Have a look: www.tripleerv.com/

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is the thread I've been looking for so now I'll fire out a question or two that hopefully are a part of this discussion. We are first time owners and we are entering RV'ing at a lower end of the scale. we purchased a class C Fleetwood Jamboree and are pleased with it so far. Because of our seasons here in VT and the time of our purchase it'll be a while before we are able to get out and play with it. In the mean time I have been doing a fair amount of cyber space investigating. One of the items I read about was what to look for when you are buying. The article suggested to make floor layout your last priority. So with all that babble out of the way my question is to the experienced among you. What type of "chassis" am I looking for when I buy a class c motorhome ? To the newbies out here I have no idea how many different chassis there are. Are we talking about the engine and drive train or is it referring mainly to the frame itself ? I guess basically I want to know what it was that I should have looked for. Does Fleetwood (as an example) make a good, better & best chassis ? In all my searching I've seen many models that appear to be the same as one another but built on a different truck model chassis/frame.

I hope some of what I'm asking makes sense. I'm just confused about the possible different types of chassis. What is the most dependable chassis and where-oh-where can I read any information/comparisons about different brands that isn't in some way tainted by prejudice ? Consumer reports type of information is what I'm looking for.

Thanks to all who offer up their information.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:38 AM   #17

LSC, we also are looking for another rv; for us it will most probably be on a Ford 450-preferably an F, but the E would do, chasis, this offers alot of cargo capacity , being legal is important to us after that its pretty much open, big tanks and pre emissions diesel are important, rubber roof only if we have to and we also have looked at EEE, its interesting.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #18

Talking Newbie as well my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
This is the thread I've been looking for so now I'll fire out a question or two that hopefully are a part of this discussion. We are first time owners and we are entering RV'ing at a lower end of the scale. we purchased a class C Fleetwood Jamboree and are pleased with it so far. Because of our seasons here in VT and the time of our purchase it'll be a while before we are able to get out and play with it. In the mean time I have been doing a fair amount of cyber space investigating. One of the items I read about was what to look for when you are buying. The article suggested to make floor layout your last priority. So with all that babble out of the way my question is to the experienced among you. What type of "chassis" am I looking for when I buy a class c motorhome ? To the newbies out here I have no idea how many different chassis there are. Are we talking about the engine and drive train or is it referring mainly to the frame itself ? I guess basically I want to know what it was that I should have looked for. Does Fleetwood (as an example) make a good, better & best chassis ? In all my searching I've seen many models that appear to be the same as one another but built on a different truck model chassis/frame.

I hope some of what I'm asking makes sense. I'm just confused about the possible different types of chassis. What is the most dependable chassis and where-oh-where can I read any information/comparisons about different brands that isn't in some way tainted by prejudice ? Consumer reports type of information is what I'm looking for.

Thanks to all who offer up their information.
I am a fairly new owner as well but have some mechanical background so I can share what I have learned. For standard Class there are basically 3 primary categories. BTW the chassis refers to the rolling (read drivable) frame, tires & wheels, engine & transmission, electronics, cab, cockpit, etc,

If you go to Cutaway Vans | Ford Commercial Trucks you will see what most Class C builders basically start with.

1) The smallest and most fuel efficient is built on the Dodge Sprinter/MB chassis (think UPS Delivery truck) and has a small displacement turbo diesel which is advertized to yield mid to high teens in the fuel economy department. They seem to be limited to the mid to high twenty foot range and have somewhat limited towing capacity so would probably be best for couples or small families towing not at all or at most small toads (cars).

2) The most popular/prevalent Class C is based on either the Ford E350/450 chassis or the Chevy Workhorse chassis. The Fords primarily use the 6.8L Triton 3 Valve V-10 with the 5 speed Torque Shift Trans in later models. This combination has a CGVW of up to 20,000 lbs however I noticed the 2011 E450 chassis is rated at 22,000 lbs by Ford. I own a 2010 Ford E450 in my 32' coach and with what limited experience I have like it allot. The Chevy folks will have to weigh in here to assist but they primarily use a 8.1L Vortec V8 for the larger coaches and apparently have similar or slightly less total capacity as compared to the Ford. Beyond that it seems you can find die hard fans of both but I suspect either chassis would meet your needs. These coaches are very popular and seem to meet most families needs but you need to watch your weight in the larger/longer models which can be tough to do as most manufacturers don't list an as built weight. Luckily my 2011 Coachmen Freelander 32BH (built on a 2010 chassis btw watch that) does list a as built weight of 12,316 lbs which tells me roughly how much I can safely carry on the coach to get the the 14,500 lbs GVW and safely tow to get to 20,000 CGVW.

3) The heaviest duty Class C or Super C is built on at least a mid duty commercial truck chassis like the Ford 650/750. Some are built on basically the same platform used as over the road trucks/tractors and can tow just about anything. They can be gas but are more often diesel and can cost as much as a high end Class A diesel pusher.

The bottom line is in the Class C world the Chassis is built likely by Ford, Dodge/MB, or Chevy outside of the Super C class. All have their benefits and drawbacks but the manufactures I suspect select the best chassis for the particular model you are looking at. I liked the Coachmen due to the extensive use of composite materials and aluminum used in construction which means is should never rot or de-laminate. It also is lighter than wood based construction which means I can carry/tow more of what I want and still be within safe limits. I am sure there are many other coach manufacturers who offer equal or better units but in the end once you decide what you want to carry/haul/tow and how often/far pick a chassis or class of chassis and do some research and enjoy .

My 2 cents

Scott
Old 01-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #19

Scott, the 8.1L was discontinued by GM in Dec 09. As a result, as DriVer pointed out, Ford is pretty well the only game in town for a Class A gasser.

Also, Mercedes supplied the Sprinter and in the US it was badged Dodge but keep in mind they divorced and the chassis is now labelled Mercedes and Freightliner. No doubt there are a few manufacturers around with inventory with a Dodge badge but no current chassis should be appearing as a Dodge.

Length - the longest Sprinter chassis is, I believe the Class A units marketed by Winnie - the Via and their Itasca Reyo - 25 ft 5 inches. The towing capacity has been bumped for the latest chassis - 4200 lbs.

As to the E450 - yes, it is 22,000 GCWR - and I have one. A buyer has to be careful though because a lot of the early deliveries of 2011's were on 2010 chassis and I suspect some manufacturers may still be building on 2010's.

Don
Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #20

Good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Scott, the 8.1L was discontinued by GM in Dec 09. As a result, as DriVer pointed out, Ford is pretty well the only game in town for a Class A gasser.

Also, Mercedes supplied the Sprinter and in the US it was badged Dodge but keep in mind they divorced and the chassis is now labelled Mercedes and Freightliner. No doubt there are a few manufacturers around with inventory with a Dodge badge but no current chassis should be appearing as a Dodge.

Length - the longest Sprinter chassis is, I believe the Class A units marketed by Winnie - the Via and their Itasca Reyo - 25 ft 5 inches. The towing capacity has been bumped for the latest chassis - 4200 lbs.

As to the E450 - yes, it is 22,000 GCWR - and I have one. A buyer has to be careful though because a lot of the early deliveries of 2011's were on 2010 chassis and I suspect some manufacturers may still be building on 2010's.

Don
Don,

Thanks for the update I had no idea that GM dropped the 8.1 wow. I was aware of the Dodge MB split but did not realize that they were still not supplying the Sprinter chassis. It is interesting that the MB will tow 4200 lbs I would have suspected around a 3000 lb max. Any idea what the max CGVW is?
Old 01-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #21

GCWR is 15,250 - a big improvement for those towing.

Winnie seems to have had this GCWR chassis way before all other manufacturers and I guess that is because the View has by far the largest chunk of this market.

Winnebago Motor Homes - 2011 View
Old 01-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #22

The Via is nice, does anyone know the ccc?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
The Via is nice, does anyone know the ccc?
At the Tampa show last year I think I looked at the label but frankly can't recall the number but it was not impressive. I know it is somewhat lower than the View because it is the same chassis. Several people have commented that the great storage in the unit with the twin beds in the back is nice but the CCC is so low you can't put much in it.

We found the unit very much to our liking and wish it had more CCC. It should be able to tow our 3600 lbs Escape without too much difficulty. The other negative is the price - seemed high to us.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #24

one road test listed the occ as 1,081 lbs-pretty much maxed out no?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
one road test listed the occ as 1,081 lbs-pretty much maxed out no?
If it is a unit I might be interested in I usually take a photo of the weight label. I'll check and see if I did that last year.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #26

any dutchmen express owners out there with 6 litre engine and the GMC chassis, how do they like the motor home and are the a good choice in a class c we have 2003 23 ft and it seems good so far we are first time owners and would like to hear from other people who own the class c with the GMC chassis 6 litre engine and how they like theirs
Old 02-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
any commits on B+'s
Old 02-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #28

Much good info. Thanks to all for posting. When I started this thread I pretty much intended to find a used Class C, but with today's gas prices,sadly, I'm probably not going to dive in.