Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2010, 07:06 AM   #1

Question - What are the top 5 Class C's?

Who would you say are the top 5 manufacturers of quality Class C's?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Any one of these MFG's on a good day will produce a good class "C".
If a Monday or Friday is when you run into trouble.
What you need is a good PDI list to find the faults that were produce on the bad days.
Welcome to irv2 johnnyringo.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

A lot depends on what you are looking for in terms of style, build quality, size, etc., but here's my list:

Lazy Daze
Born Free
Dynomax
Winnebago/Itasca (several models)
Jayco
Fleetwood
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
Look at Monaco Montclair and the Holiday Rambler Augusta .....
Old 12-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #5

Winnebago #1 Jayco #2 Lazy Daze #3
Old 12-16-2010, 06:28 AM   #6

I will agree with Gary on including Born Free, we have spoken to more than a few owners, some of whom had serious problems and they had nothing but praise for how the Company responded and ditto the Dynamax if we are going to blurr the C/B+ class.
They have a shorter model, QST260 ? on a Freightliner medium duty chasis with MB power that has to be one of the most intelligently designed coaches ever made and latter model examples with low mileage can be had for short dollars, relatively speaking.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
I will agree with Gary on including Born Free, we have spoken to more than a few owners, some of whom had serious problems and they had nothing but praise for how the Company responded and ditto the Dynamax if we are going to blurr the C/B+ class.
They have a shorter model, QST260 ? on a Freightliner medium duty chasis with MB power that has to be one of the most intelligently designed coaches ever made and latter model examples with low mileage can be had for short dollars, relatively speaking.
I find some of the Dynamax features pretty attractive. Some negatives though. On the QST260 (assuming it is the same as the current DQ260ST) there is no bed other than a sofa bed. Its tanks, given its size, are only 36 and 33 gallons for waste. I'd much prefer the 302 in that series with its twin beds.

GCWR is 54,000 lbs and GVWR is 26,000. If you want to tow.......

Don
Old 12-17-2010, 07:01 AM   #8

Shadow, I agree that the areas you mention do -limit- use with full timers perhaps, and the sofa bed, yes it is not as comfortable as a permanent rack, BUT I sure would get me one if I could. There is just too much that makes sense about these, first service people would not run away when you pulled in, second the MB diesel would probably get you into the 16mpg neighborhood, you have some sheet metal in front of you, the list goes on and on.
Of course my usual caveot applies, pre emissions only ('07 ? and earlier) I have seen multiple examples of one owners, under 15k miles with asking prices in the $70k range, like I said, in a heartbeat if I could.

Just what class coach are these anyway??
Old 12-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Shadow, I agree that the areas you mention do -limit- use with full timers perhaps, and the sofa bed, yes it is not as comfortable as a permanent rack, BUT I sure would get me one if I could. There is just too much that makes sense about these, first service people would not run away when you pulled in, second the MB diesel would probably get you into the 16mpg neighborhood, you have some sheet metal in front of you, the list goes on and on.
Of course my usual caveot applies, pre emissions only ('07 ? and earlier) I have seen multiple examples of one owners, under 15k miles with asking prices in the $70k range, like I said, in a heartbeat if I could.

Class C. When you talk about service you are right on. Darn buried rear engine diesels are a pain to mechanics. When we took both of ours in the techs groaned as we'd drive through the gate hoping they wouldn't be selected to work on it. In one case the Tech took me over to an OTR truck that had the hood up and said this is how I'd work on this and look what I had to do with yours. It took us an hour to get at the 04 Journey's engine bay - 3 covers and they were a dog to open.

Nice thing is heavy duty everything. In my case I'd have to go for a higher rated license - but if given my druthers I wouldn't mine one either.

A couple of years ago we were camped outside Indianapolis in April on the way back from Florida. We were going to the Jayco factory to have some work done. Parked next to us was a guy with a VERY large Haulmark who was towing a matching trailer that was also huge (nice to have that towing capacity) and had a few cars in it. We got talking to him and his comments were interesting. He had owned a trucking company and had driven tractor trailers for years. When he retired he figured he get big diesel pusher. Well, he took out some pretty upscale models (his Haulmark was $400K) and was horrified. He said with the light front ends they were all over the road. He said he could not tolerate driving something like that - and thus he had the Haulmark built to his specs.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Many call the ones built on an HDT chassis a "C+" or a "Super C".

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Many call the ones built on an HDT chassis a "C+" or a "Super C".

Rusty
On the Kodiak forum many consider these to be a cut above a Super C or C+ (like the Kodiak) and some would call them super duper C's.

Amazingly, there are parks that will not allow them in - even if the owner paid $400k to $500k.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:00 AM   #12

'Super duper C' gotta like that-for the reasons you mention it really does seem like the most intelligent design.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Maybe we should start a designation - I'll offer up "Hyper C" and "Maxi C" as candidates.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #14

I really like super duper C, Shadow I would not have a pusher for exactly the reasons you mention, regardless of how nice they are.