Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry about the long time in the reply. The times I have used the leaf blower, I have found my leak. The last one was in the TC, I knew I hac a leak in an upper cabinet, I have a vision problem so my brother-in-law got on the roof above the cabinet, the ladder is attached in this area, saw some of the caulk might need attention, took care of that. Still the leak, we were on a trip. When I got home I got the leaf blower out and got the smoke machine from the kids and did my thing, well even with my bad eyes I saw smoke come out from behind the bracket that held the awning at the rear of the TC, to the side of the cabint where I was always gettin water. I removed the awning and the bracket, behind the bracket was a hole that look like somebody took a very big flat blade screwdriver and drove it through the wall, caulked the hole, no more leak. I would have never thought of taking the awning and bracket off to look behind it for a leak. So the leaf blower trick really worked for me. I have never used soapy water, but have read of people who have and get the same results. just brush the soapy water around the outside at all the joints that you want to check if there is a hole, I would think that air would come out and cause the soap to bubble, wa la your leak has been foound. I will always use this method to find a leak. Works for me. Good Luck
Bill

Bill----WWJU
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #16

I would imagine a pressure washer would do a similar job of detecting leaks. I would (and did) simply clean and seal our roof myself. I don't care if it leaked or not (it didn't at the time). It got primed and sealed so that I knew when it was last sealed. And I used Snow Roof Coating... lowered the temps inside as well as sealed the roof. Wonderful!

Do NOT get a Class C with a front window in the cabover! Those are leaks waiting to happen.

Basically whether you buy new or used, things can go wrong. I wouldn't let that stop me from buying. You might want to start out cheap (used) use the RV for a while. And keep a notepad in the RV. Write down things that bug you or that you would like to have. Wait at least 1 year (to go thru all 4 seasons of use). Get your wife to include things she finds out. You can always sell the unit and buy a new(er) one with everything you KNOW that you want/need. And you will be a smarter consumer at that point.

We rebuilt our Vintage Class C (whole back end was rotted... no ladder racks & roof top storage for us! also part of the cabover had to be replaced). Since we had lived in campgrounds and had some idea as to what we needed and wanted already, we remodeled to suit us (that was our job at the time anyway). Spending a year in the RV convinced us that we didn't need a 40 ft bus (we had an Eagle at the time to be converted). We need bigger holding tanks than what we have now. We need 18-24" closet space for each of us. And we hate the all-in-one bathrooms! We are in the process of converting a 40 ft BlueBird school bus... we didn't need a 40 ft bus but we ended up with one to move all our junk out west. It was cheaper than a moving van.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #17

Again excellent info....I am still shopping. Not as aggressively as I was. My wife and I just a few weeks ago had our 3rd daughter. Then immediately went back into the hospital this past week for surgery to remove her gallbladder. Needless to say things are a bit hectic now.

Thanks again!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #18

Lorna,
Too late for me, ours has the front window over the cab, and it has leaked. We have had several rains since we bought it (8/10), and it has leaked a small amount of water next to the front window. What do you do to prevent a leak there if you do have the front window????
Old 10-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #19

Buying A New Motor Home

Looking for a NEW Motor Home.
Hello everyone,
I am new to this whole RV buying. My brother and I are looking to buy a motor home (class a). We have a business that will require a lot of traveling. We plan to hire a driver, so we may do our work in the back as we travel from one destination to the next. I have looked at many places online, but have not located a motor home that has two bedrooms in it. Two bedrooms with full beds, and a wall separator with separate doors.

I am sure I will have tons of other questions, but must start here..lol

Any help would be great.

Not sure i posted this in the right place, if i did not, please direct me to the correct place to paste.

Thanks
Roger Bice
bicebiz@gmail.com
skype valuegreen1
1-740-252-8810
Old 10-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk-lady View Post
Lorna,
Too late for me, ours has the front window over the cab, and it has leaked. We have had several rains since we bought it (8/10), and it has leaked a small amount of water next to the front window. What do you do to prevent a leak there if you do have the front window????
Easiest way to fix the window is to remove it. No big deal to do, remove all of the screw, and remove the window. remove the old seal and replace with new. replace window. Caulk around the top. If your not comfortable with this, take it to someone like; camping world, or other RV shop. Price shouldn't be too bad.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworker414 View Post
Sorry about the long time in the reply. The times I have used the leaf blower, I have found my leak. The last one was in the TC, I knew I hac a leak in an upper cabinet, I have a vision problem so my brother-in-law got on the roof above the cabinet, the ladder is attached in this area, saw some of the caulk might need attention, took care of that. Still the leak, we were on a trip. When I got home I got the leaf blower out and got the smoke machine from the kids and did my thing, well even with my bad eyes I saw smoke come out from behind the bracket that held the awning at the rear of the TC, to the side of the cabint where I was always gettin water. I removed the awning and the bracket, behind the bracket was a hole that look like somebody took a very big flat blade screwdriver and drove it through the wall, caulked the hole, no more leak. I would have never thought of taking the awning and bracket off to look behind it for a leak. So the leaf blower trick really worked for me. I have never used soapy water, but have read of people who have and get the same results. just brush the soapy water around the outside at all the joints that you want to check if there is a hole, I would think that air would come out and cause the soap to bubble, wa la your leak has been foound. I will always use this method to find a leak. Works for me. Good Luck
Bill
Im buying a 91 class C that my co-worker (not an expert!) put a new roof on... it has front window over cab and also i see daylight between cab and roof over cab... Sorry to hyjack but would like to be directed to post on how to detect leaks with smoke machine.. or anyway else.. Thanx,Melon
also im messaging woodworker in case he doesnt go back to this..

Melon Luman is offline   Reply With Quote